Black friday. TS Winchester vs Costco Bighorn

So with the Black Friday almost upon us I've decided that I need to jump at the chance to get a little more security for my stuff.
I know there's already another Black Friday Gun safe thread, but I didn't want to derail the OP's thread as my questions are specifically about these two safes.

After doing a bit of looking at the various safes that will be on sale I've narrowed it down to these two.

Tractor Supply Winchester 24 Gun Safe ($550 + shipping/pickup) --> http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/winchesterreg;-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity

Costco Bighorn 24 Gun Safe ($600 Shipped) --> http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-...-20"D-|-Electronic-Lock.product.11625662.html

Both safes are within my College Student price range ( being $600 MAX), and while I know Dicks Sporting goods has a 32 gun safe for the same price, more importantly these two safe's dimensions fit within the space that I'll be putting it in.
The Tractor supply safe would require me to pick it up, and being a 500lb safe, that could certainly make for an interesting day, while the Costco one at $50 more comes with free shipping to the door. I am able to check out the TS Winchester safe locally, but so far cant find a Costco that has the Bighorn in stock to check out in person.

So I guess my questions are which do you feel is the better value? Also if any of you own either safe could chime in on the build quality of the safe and your opinions of the safe thus far. (I read something about the Winchester being stitch welded?)

Last edited:
The Winchester is probably a better quality safe. However, unless you have the means for pickup I'd buy the Bighorn and pay the driver $20 bucks to help you inside with it.

From the 2014 Tractor Supply Black Friday ad:

item_9323_560.jpg

I may be biased because I have one but I think it's the best deal out there for a mid-priced safe.

Neither... Find something without a electronic lock.

I have never owned a safe with an electronic lock, so no first-hand experience. But after reading about the problems folks have described using on-line reviews and on NES a few times, I'm hesitant to go with one. The mechanical lock (S&G) on the Liberty is a pain to open sometimes, but other than that, it has always operated reliably over the past 20 years.

From the 2014 Tractor Supply Black Friday ad:

item_9323_560.jpg

I may be biased because I have one but I think it's the best deal out there for a mid-priced safe.

While that is a great price for a nice safe of that size, its sadly out of my price range, and is too big for the space that it would need to fit inside. The Winchester itself JUST fits if the dimensions are accurate.

I have the above 24 Big Horn from Costco for the last couple years now, with electronic lock, no issues yet. It'll come heavily boxed on a pallet. Two steel risers will be affixed to the bottom of the safe and strapped to the pallet, just an FYI.

I have the Winchester and it has served me well. the only complaint i have it is has shrunk so i now need another. I am considering a cheapo Stack-on to get my ammo out of the Winchester. They can be easily tipped into a pickup truck with 2 people.
I have the luxury of access to a box truck with a power gate so pickup was not an issue for me.

+1 for the Winchester. I am very happy with it and it was delivered to my house and placed where it is. I believe it was arranged with a 3rd party carrier through Tractor supply. I don't recall the price.

OP, not sure where you live, but the Costco in West Springfield has that Bighorn on display right near the exit area, and it is a nice safe for the price inmo. I wish my wife wasn't so averse to me buying another safe right now because my current one is way too jammed for my liking, so I'd love to add this one. Not as easy to sneak that in as it is with new guns though![laugh]

OP, not sure where you live, but the Costco in West Springfield has that Bighorn on display right near the exit area, and it is a nice safe for the price inmo. I wish my wife wasn't so averse to me buying another safe right now because my current one is way too jammed for my liking, so I'd love to add this one. Not as easy to sneak that in as it is with new guns though![laugh]

I thought I saw one near the exit at Costco in Dedham too, but not positive.

Buy the Winchester.

Take the door off.

I invited 3 other guys over to move it and felt like an ass because one guy and a hand cart did it with no problems.

Buy the Winchester.

Take the door off.

I invited 3 other guys over to move it and felt like an ass because one guy and a hand cart did it with no problems.

That is a great suggestion if you buy a model that has a removable door since that is where most of the weight is. Much easier as you pointed out to move it in 2 pieces.

Either the Winchester or the Big Horn are easily moved with an appliance two wheeler. That's how I did mine, it was not really a big deal.

I have an appliance two wheeler if anyone needs to borrow it.

I helped a friend move one of the Big Horn safes that he bought from Costco into his house. The door comes off which lightens the load. I think just the door weighs 150 pounds. One on my friends carried on his shoulder all by himself.

The safe was very easy to move with dolly / hand truck up a set of stairs. One person could easily push it around his basement and garage floor without using anything at all. It did arrive with a small dent on the back.

The outside finish was nice. The inside is ok. It's is drywall with felt or similar material attached to it. It looked good to me.

When open the safe had a very strong smell of adhesives. His collection is mostly made up of rifles. So that left him with only one shelf at the very top. For the >$600.00 price he paid which included free shipping I thought it was a good deal. As others have said buy the biggest safe you can afford. They fill up quick.

Last edited:
Either the Winchester or the Big Horn are easily moved with an appliance two wheeler. That's how I did mine, it was not really a big deal.

I have an appliance two wheeler if anyone needs to borrow it.

Will an appliance truck allow 2 people to move a 400# safe down a flight of stairs?
I might have to get me a big safe and an appliance truck too.

Will an appliance truck allow 2 people to move a 400# safe down a flight of stairs?
I might have to get me a big safe and an appliance truck too.

It's going to depend on how strong the 2 people are. I would say if they can bench press 180lbs for 10-15 reps than it will be very, very easy for them to move it a 400 pound safe using a dolly.

Do you have to lift it up to clear a bulk head first? Just straight down a set of stairs? Get a appliance dolly with the skids on the back and straps. You will have no problem moving it.

I'm thinking of the Winchester from TS. Any opinions about laying it flat in the back of a minivan?

Anyone else worried about the delivery guys knowing about you getting a shiny new gun safe?

i bought the winchester because of the weight 507lbs and the quantity/size of the locking bolts - the big horn is 435 lbs and looks pretty decent. there was one on display in the avon store earlier this week. mine is in my garage and ts placed it horizontal onto the pallet for me so was able to slide the pallet down the ramp from the truck used a comealong to get vertical then was able to move it by myself using 3' pieces of 2" pvc just rolled it into place. had zero issues with electronic lock. good safe for the money.

It's going to depend on how strong the 2 people are. I would say if they can bench press 180lbs for 10-15 reps than it will be very, very easy for them to move it a 400 pound safe using a dolly.

Do you have to lift it up to clear a bulk head first? Just straight down a set of stairs? Get a appliance dolly with the skids on the back and straps. You will have no problem moving it.

I won't say if 10-15 reps of 180#s is in my wheelhouse.

It's one step up then one flight down. Looks like it'll work.
Now got to convince the wife we need an appliance dolly for the house.

Back
Top Bottom