• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black Friday & Gun Safes?

apander

NES Member
What is your opinion on gun safes? Brand? Dealer? Delivery? Size? $$$$?. Do you store ammo in your safe? I would like to spend less then 1,000. and store about 15 long guns with shelves for handguns. Dick's has a Field & Stream 32 gun plus for 699.98 and Home depot has a Stack-on 24 gun safe for about 800.00. Thanks -Arlie

Tractor Supply usually has a good discount on the Winchester and the Cannon they sell. Typically lower than any other time of year by about 100 bucks.

These are all residential security containers. Nothing like the 2k plus stuff you see at a "real" safe retailer. I know the one shop that does the gun shows has sales on and off also. Cant remember their name though. I am sure someone will chime in.

Tractor Supply usually has a good discount on the Winchester and the Cannon they sell. Typically lower than any other time of year by about 100 bucks.

These are all residential security containers. Nothing like the 2k plus stuff you see at a "real" safe retailer. I know the one shop that does the gun shows has sales on and off also. Cant remember their name though. I am sure someone will chime in.
Eastern Security, that is where I got my safe.

What is your opinion on gun safes? Brand? Dealer? Delivery? Size? $$$$?. Do you store ammo in your safe? I would like to spend less then 1,000. and store about 15 long guns with shelves for handguns. Dick's has a Field & Stream 32 gun plus for 699.98 and Home depot has a Stack-on 24 gun safe for about 800.00. Thanks -Arlie

I kept the pdf for some of the black friday ads from last year, so I could compare them to this years.

Tractor Supply had a cannon safe normally $999 for $699, it's a nice safe too. They had the Winchester 24 for $549, regular price is $699.

The field and stream 32+6 was $599.98 at Dicks last year.

Size wise the Field and stream 32 is about the same size as the winchester 24, to me the winchester had even more room inside. They both have pockets on the door panel, the winchester has 12 locking bolts, the f&s has only 8 bolts and only 5 move, the 3 on the hinge side are fixed.

I was going to buy the f&s until I looked at it, I wasn't that impressed. At the price point, the winchester is a much better safe than the f&s, even if the winchester were $100 more than the f&s, I would buy the winchester every time.

Also, I know the capacities, i.e. the number they say the safe will hold, are beyond exaggerated but the Field and stream 32+6 is one of the worst on this. I don't know if you could put 32 red ryder bb guns in there.

Last edited:
Check out Tractor Supply Company, they've had some pretty good deals in the past that I've seen....
Tractor Supply had a cannon safe normally $999 for $699, it's a nice safe too. They had the Winchester 24 for $549, regular price is $699.
Just two words: Tractor Supply (unless you are rich, then three words: Eastern Security Safe).

Thanks for the opinions, I'm leaning towards the Winchester 24 for $549 at tractor supply. Does anyone know if it is a pick-up price and if they deliver? I seen comments that delivery is to the street end of your driveway and I want it in the basement. At 500 #'s and a complete knee replacement this year, I would have to hire to get it in the basement. Can you stack a dehumidifer inside or on top and use it to keep the humidity out? If any one has Winchester 24, how many long guns does it hold? I have mostly milsup, handguns and shotguns that will be stored in it. Ammo and muzzle loaders will stay upstairs in a deadbolted linen closet. The go to .45 auto and .00 loaded pump shotgun will be in my control at all times. Arlie

Thanks for the opinions, I'm leaning towards the Winchester 24 for $549 at tractor supply. Does anyone know if it is a pick-up price and if they deliver? I seen comments that delivery is to the street end of your driveway and I want it in the basement. At 500 #'s and a complete knee replacement this year, I would have to hire to get it in the basement. Can you stack a dehumidifer inside or on top and use it to keep the humidity out? If any one has Winchester 24, how many long guns does it hold? I have mostly milsup, handguns and shotguns that will be stored in it. Ammo and muzzle loaders will stay upstairs in a deadbolted linen closet. The go to .45 auto and .00 loaded pump shotgun will be in my control at all times. Arlie

Rent an appliance dolly and call 4 of your friends.

buy the biggest one you can fit/afford. I bought a small one saying "I dont plan on that many guns" I know Rileys has a very large selection of safes but Im not sure if they offer black friday deals, I know shooters outpost does but have a small section of safes.

Costco has a nice 24 gun safe on sale right now. Forgot the brand, but is was a fire rated model and has free delivery. I think it was $599, or something like that. The free delivery makes it a very good deal.

Eastern Security is the safest choice, Mike and Brian are awesome to do business with.

+1000 Fort Knox 7241 a few years ago. The delivery and setup are part of the value in dealing with these folks. Very heavy safe delivered and lagged to the floor. Door balance is perfect. I wouldn't look any where else.

Are you willing to buy used?

Do you need a "gun safe" or are you good putting your long guns in socks or building a "gun" interior?

I ask because for $1000 you can get a REAL safe. Craigslist is a great source. I'm talking about a safe with 1/4" steel plate vs 11 ga sheet of most gun safes. 1/4 is about 8 TIMES as thick as 11 ga.

Don

For example:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bfs/4732226940.html

Do you have to goto the store to get that deal at TSC? Or can you order online also??

I'm not sure about online. I know you cannot buy them over the phone with your credit card from a store. They won't hold them either until you pay for it in person.

I don't have enough guns yet to tell you [crying] You can use both sides, then set up racks for pistols on the upper shelf. If you question it, go for the big cannon one.

For moving the safe into a basement, the door comes off. I would say the door weighs at least 100 to 125, I wouldn't be surprised if it were over 150 (it's heavy). It would be quite a bit easier to move with the door off.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the Browning sp40 at Bass Pro?
Also does Bass Pro run any safe sales on black Fri?

Digital versus Analog for the lock... I have heard that the digital are easy to get by, heard you can knock the pad off with a hammer then have access to open the bolts and get into the safe. Is that true? I want to get one, but I would feel better with an analog lock. It seems like 95% of gun safes on the market now are digital though.

11 gauge steel is .119 thick, you were kidding right?

My brain said 2x. My fingers said 8. Correcting now.

- - - Updated - - -

Digital versus Analog for the lock... I have heard that the digital are easy to get by, heard you can knock the pad off with a hammer then have access to open the bolts and get into the safe. Is that true? I want to get one, but I would feel better with an analog lock. It seems like 95% of gun safes on the market now are digital though.

Not true.

The pad just sends number info to the controller, which is inside. The biggest downside to electrics is that they do fail and have a life of about 10 years. Whereas a S&G mechanical lock will last many lifetimes.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have enough guns yet to tell you [crying] You can use both sides, then set up racks for pistols on the upper shelf. If you question it, go for the big cannon one.

For moving the safe into a basement, the door comes off. I would say the door weighs at least 100 to 125, I wouldn't be surprised if it were over 150 (it's heavy). It would be quite a bit easier to move with the door off.

Door is typically 30% of weight. Figure from there.

You heard wrong, the combo is stored at the bolt. If they were that insecure they would not sell. Do the ones that said that drive a model T?

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the Browning sp40 at Bass Pro?
Also does Bass Pro run any safe sales on black Fri?

Here's their ad scan from '13. http://thanksgivingblackfriday.com/2013/bass-pro-shops-black-friday-2013-ad/

I think for what you get, cabelas and bass pro are expensive. For that price range, I'd look at eastern safe. Reg price on that Browning is $1800, there are only 5 moving locking bolts, it's 12 gauge steel and for that size and 760 lbs, it's not a high end safe.

Back
Top Bottom