• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black friday bummer

mac1911

NES Member
Im not one to venture out on black friday but I could not sit around the house and nneded to get my daughter out also.

We walked around many different stores, gun shops included
Other than Coffee in the am and lunch with my daughter(which was really nice) I only spent a tiny bit of money.

I got a swing swivel kit for a 870----and it was for a friend not me[rolleyes]

Aside from not haveing the big money to spend on a new gun or something.
The stores had nothing that I or my wife needed or wanted discounted ?[hmmm]

Thank god for the good day with my daughter!!!!!

Bummer? I wouldn't say that. Here is how I see it:

1. You got to spend some time with your daughter. How awesome is that.
2. You didn't spend any money on crap you didn't need. Way to go!
3. You didn't get run over in a mall parking lot.

I would call that an excellent day. [smile]

Last edited:
yes it was a good day with my 2.75 year old daughter in tow. She was a real trooper and loved seeing all the people.
I hit every gun shop that I passed by, not really looking for anything in particular other than the items outside of my budget.
I got all "my" xmass gifts early thanks to the thumbs up from the wife. Reloading gear!!!
My daughters stuff is all set last week and online free delivery items
Wife still does not know what she wants.

I knew what it was going to be like, but really the only places that had everything marked down was places like khols,walmart------all others except maybe some planned big ticket items where no more of a bargin today than last week.

PS If I was not with my daughter all day as my wife slept I would have much rather worked.

I guess it was dads and daughters day. I took my 5yo daughter to the MFA since my wife has a bad cold. It was good.

I also got a great deal on an Epson printer. It's an Epson 610 marked down to $60. The only reason I had to buy it was because I had to replace an HP which, *ahem*, cracked when I *ahem* closed it a bit too hard. HP printers are spawned from the devil.

Last edited:
My experience is a bit different.

I wouldn't be caught dead out in the crowds on BF, but my adult daughter LOVES it.

I relaxed and she went nuts....the LR is now full of bags and boxes and my daughter's shopping jones has been satisfied.

Life is good.

Good for you!! I wish I could have spent time with my daughters Friday.

I work in retail and at first glance I would say it was a kick ass day for sales we aren't a typical door buster type of retailer but did offer some great deals like 20% off till 10am and some great deals on Dyson vac's... We beat our sales plan by 48% :) Now on a second look I saw the crumbling of our country (in my eyes). Typically we do 60/40 credit card vs cash (bad enough if you ask me) but Friday out of the $140,000 in sales we did only 10g's was in cash?????? I can see people are spending themselves into the gutter and that concerns me and should concern everyone. In my 20+ years in retail I have never seen such a discrepency between credit and cash spending. Just my opinion of course and I know I'm not everyone's banker etc.. and I'm sre some will argue they are floating the purchase and are getting some type of points or cash back reward but the facts speak for themselves. I also ironically sell credit card processing accounts and machines as a part time job (I know pot calling the kettle black...). And I can tell you all of this credit purchasing is driving prices up. Who do you think pays for all of thoes reward points and cash back? The merchant in the form of a higher processing percent. So that drives prices up. Shit, I'm preaching and ranting. Just be wise out there and buy what you can afford and pay for. That's it!

...And I can tell you all of this credit purchasing is driving prices up. Who do you think pays for all of thoes reward points and cash back? The merchant in the form of a higher processing percent. So that drives prices up. Shit, I'm preaching and ranting. Just be wise out there and buy what you can afford and pay for. That's it!

I'm pretty sure that means the consumer pays. They just get sucked into thinking they're getting rewards etc, without paying

for it, via marketing and low IQs.

I actually went to the midnight opening at Wrentham. Aside from the part where a human wave swept me and my friends into the Ralph Lauren store, they had some very good deals on clothing.

Spent the day working around the house with our three year old son. Spent a little bit of time online to check out local retailers, shops, and some of the big names as well but really didn't see anything that stuck out as a great deal. More of the same today; sealing windows, and returning the race bikes to their place in the heated garage.

Fitz

I guess it was dads and daughters day. I took my 5yo daughter to...

Took my girl to the Nashua ski sale/swap. Went there thinking I'd pick up some good used equipment, and wound up spending some bigger bucks for new stuff. Oops. The way I figure and justify it is that it will save time, money, and aggravation over rentals, plus we can sell in two years and recoup some of the costs. And so it begins.

I work in retail and at first glance I would say it was a kick ass day for sales we aren't a typical door buster type of retailer but did offer some great deals like 20% off till 10am and some great deals on Dyson vac's... We beat our sales plan by 48% :) Now on a second look I saw the crumbling of our country (in my eyes). Typically we do 60/40 credit card vs cash (bad enough if you ask me) but Friday out of the $140,000 in sales we did only 10g's was in cash?????? I can see people are spending themselves into the gutter and that concerns me and should concern everyone. In my 20+ years in retail I have never seen such a discrepency between credit and cash spending. Just my opinion of course and I know I'm not everyone's banker etc.. and I'm sre some will argue they are floating the purchase and are getting some type of points or cash back reward but the facts speak for themselves. I also ironically sell credit card processing accounts and machines as a part time job (I know pot calling the kettle black...). And I can tell you all of this credit purchasing is driving prices up. Who do you think pays for all of thoes reward points and cash back? The merchant in the form of a higher processing percent. So that drives prices up. Just be wise out there and buy what you can afford and pay for. That's it!
But, don't discount the fact that people don't want to carry lots of cash on that day. When I have ventured out on black Friday I use a credit card and pay off my purchases at the end of the month rather than take a lot of cash with me. I feel it's just safer all around.

I work in retail and at first glance I would say it was a kick ass day for sales we aren't a typical door buster type of retailer but did offer some great deals like 20% off till 10am and some great deals on Dyson vac's... We beat our sales plan by 48% :) Now on a second look I saw the crumbling of our country (in my eyes). Typically we do 60/40 credit card vs cash (bad enough if you ask me) but Friday out of the $140,000 in sales we did only 10g's was in cash?????? I can see people are spending themselves into the gutter and that concerns me and should concern everyone. In my 20+ years in retail I have never seen such a discrepency between credit and cash spending. Just my opinion of course and I know I'm not everyone's banker etc.. and I'm sre some will argue they are floating the purchase and are getting some type of points or cash back reward but the facts speak for themselves. I also ironically sell credit card processing accounts and machines as a part time job (I know pot calling the kettle black...). And I can tell you all of this credit purchasing is driving prices up. Who do you think pays for all of thoes reward points and cash back? The merchant in the form of a higher processing percent. So that drives prices up. Shit, I'm preaching and ranting. Just be wise out there and buy what you can afford and pay for. That's it!

Does your POS system segregate debit card and credit cards purchases? I use my debit card every day, and I wonder if the POS systems interpret that as swiping a cc?

Does your POS system segregate debit card and credit cards purchases? I use my debit card every day, and I wonder if the POS systems interpret that as swiping a cc?

At first I read that and though "well that language wasn't called for". Heh, sorry.

IIRC, there is a much smaller fee to the retailer for a debit card transaction vs. a credit card transaction, but there is one. Personally, I rarely use my debit card because there's less protection for the consumer.

Also, as was mentioned, I don't like carrying that much cash around.

the 60/40 from years past includes all swiped cards (debit, credit) no difference in fees charged to merchant unless the customer uses a pin.

example:

regular visa m/c fee is 1.59% + .20 cent transaction fee

visa m/c debit card swiped without entering pin is same. with pin it's 1% + .20 cent transaction fee. FWIW if you use your debit without the pin you have benefits from visa and m/c ie disputes, warranty etc. with pin you have nothing.

if you have a rewards card (points, cash back, miles etc...) the rate the business owner gets charged is 1.59% + 1.28% and the Transaction fee. If your card does not swipe and they have to type it in then it's 1.59% + 1.89% and the transaction fee.

So it gets expensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also some banks charge the card owner a fee to use a debit with the pin. They do this to get you to not use your pin so they can get more from the business owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to worked, so was bummed, bass pro had a pretty interesting turkey fryer kit on sale that would have been a perfect brew kettle upgrade for my homebrewing attempts.

Other than that, did BF once and wanted to get the hell outta dodge. Did a walmart once for a laptop... never again.

Credit is not the enemy, lack of personal responsibility and fiscal sense is.

Now on a second look I saw the crumbling of our country (in my eyes). Typically we do 60/40 credit card vs cash (bad enough if you ask me) but Friday out of the $140,000 in sales we did only 10g's was in cash?????? I can see people are spending themselves into the gutter and that concerns me and should concern everyone. In my 20+ years in retail I have never seen such a discrepancy between credit and cash spending. Just my opinion of course and I know I'm not everyone's banker etc.. and I'm sure some will argue they are floating the purchase and are getting some type of points or cash back reward but the facts speak for themselves. I also ironically sell credit card processing accounts and machines as a part time job (I know pot calling the kettle black...). And I can tell you all of this credit purchasing is driving prices up. Who do you think pays for all of those reward points and cash back? The merchant in the form of a higher processing percent. So that drives prices up. Shit, I'm preaching and ranting. Just be wise out there and buy what you can afford and pay for. That's it!
Exactly -- the problem isn't using a VISA (with zero liability if lost or stolen) instead of carrying a wad of $20 bills, the problem is buying non-essentials on credit, spending money you don't have, and being unable to pay the card off in full at the end of the grace period.

I'm pretty sure that means the consumer pays. They just get sucked into thinking they're getting rewards etc, without paying for it, via marketing and low IQs.
Specifically, customers who pay by cash or PIN are subsidizing customers who use a charge card with 2-5% cashback. So if you are not paying with a rewards credit card, you are throwing money away :)

Back
Top Bottom