• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black Friday 2017 ramble

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to keep track of what models of guns get discounted for Black Friday every year. Usually I see standard 10/22's, Savage and Remington bolt rifles, field/hunting shotguns, the Maverick 88, Heritage .22 revolvers, Henry .22 rifles, and AR's go on sale.

Every year it's usually the same guns. Do you guys think with gun industry desperate to generate sales that we'll see some deals on guns that normally don't get discounted? Do you think the typical stuff will be even more heavily discounted? Maybe a buy one, get one free offer?

[rofl]... Buy one get one free. Let me know when that happens. If the price of the gun doesn't double then I will buy a few.

Do you guys think with gun industry desperate to generate sales that we'll see some deals on guns that normally don't get discounted? Do you think the typical stuff will be even more heavily discounted? Maybe a buy one, get one free offer?
Profound...care to elaborate a little?
While short, Nick's got it right. The crazy deals you see from time to time are likely largely the result of one time situations that necessitate the disposal of a small number of firearms ASAP.

After seeing what distributors charge for firearms and comparing with what large online sellers are charging, I can guarantee you that the online guys aren't making more than $5 in many cases, and what I used to think of as reasonably priced brick and mortar local sellers have prices as low as they can bear. Without factory incentives (which seem to be few), even buyers' clubs aren't going to be able to get anywhere near buy one get one.

I look at it this way. . . . If I can save $50 on a gun I want, bonus. If not, it's $50 over the 30 or so years I'll own it. Meh.

As an aside, anyone see that Amazon is paying to discount 3rd party merch in order to price-cut competition?? That smells vaguely of possible anti-trust in the future. While I don't think "Joe's Beer Coozies" is gonna really affect WalMart's sales, it seems odd that Amazon is willing to PAY to get Joe's price down enough to compete in the first place. It only works if Amazon can put competition out of business with it. Otherwise, it's another hole that Bezos is throwing money into without a care in the world.

I look at it this way. . . . If I can save $50 on a gun I want, bonus. If not, it's $50 over the 30 or so years I'll own it. Meh.

As an aside, anyone see that Amazon is paying to discount 3rd party merch in order to price-cut competition?? That smells vaguely of possible anti-trust in the future. While I don't think "Joe's Beer Coozies" is gonna really affect WalMart's sales, it seems odd that Amazon is willing to PAY to get Joe's price down enough to compete in the first place. It only works if Amazon can put competition out of business with it. Otherwise, it's another hole that Bezos is throwing money into without a care in the world.
Yes you should def give Bezos some financial advice if you think he's just throwing money into a bad investment. Lol.
Oh NES

Hahahahahahahahahaha, uh, have you looked at the PE of Amazon. For the size of the company, it SHOULD make multiple times as much money. Especially after putting people out of business. So, yeah, Bezos throws a S-ton of $ at projects that don't work out.

Anyone remember the AmaPhone? Or have we forgotten so quickly???

Just because they do sales volume doesn't mean they do it well. AMZN's time will come. The required earnings growth to sustain the current prices PLUS reasonable growth over the next decade is unobtainable.

AMZN P/E - 286.
AAPL P/E - 19

And people talk of APPLE being overpriced. It's a bigger company. Makes TONS more $ (on greater sales - and they only sell phones and computers!). And is less than 1/10th of the value per dollar earned. Return on assets is double-digits greater at AAPL. Return on assets is no contest. If AAPL was priced like AMZN, it wouldn't be $174/shr. It'd be $2,600 per share.

Yes, Bezos throws money at things. He's brilliant. But his ideas work at a far less % rate than most. Hence the painful bottom line for his company. And the lemmings following him (and Tesla for that matter - but that's another story) provides him with an ability to acquire capital to keep trying. But he's got a HUGE rabbit to pull out of his hat in order to satiate investors in the longer term.

Yes, I AM a bleeping expert, actually. [rofl] (No. I really am. Bleeping NES for sure - you never know who is providing an opinion.)

Profound...care to elaborate a little?

Look at last year, LGS's and wholesalers brought in lots of stock based on the assumption that Hillary would win which would then drive up demand. Since that didn't happen, the supply remained the same but the demand decreased (for at least 4 years). I expected there to be really good sales last year so LGS could free up cash by reducing the amount of inventory they had and use the Black Friday sales as an outlet for this. That never happened and economics 101 was thwarted.

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to keep track of what models of guns get discounted for Black Friday every year. Usually I see standard 10/22's, Savage and Remington bolt rifles, field/hunting shotguns, the Maverick 88, Heritage .22 revolvers, Henry .22 rifles, and AR's go on sale.

Every year it's usually the same guns. Do you guys think with gun industry desperate to generate sales that we'll see some deals on guns that normally don't get discounted? Do you think the typical stuff will be even more heavily discounted? Maybe a buy one, get one free offer?
My opinion......they put the entry level guns on sale for black Friday......because most likely only entry level gun buying customers pay attention to it. A more discerning or serious shooter / hunter generally does not care about $40 or $50 or even $100 savings on a higher quality fire arm that they are spending north of $1000 or $2000 on.

In other words.......the more serious gun owner ain't pawing through the cabellas, dicks, and Bass pro sales flyer looking for a "deal".

Oh....and "buy one get one"?!??! I assume that was a frigging joke.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom