Black Bear in MA

Does anyone hunt black bear in MA? I got my permit this year. Partly because it was only $5, partly because I'd love an excuse to get out to the Western MA woods for a day or two, and partly because you can hunt with pistol in Sept. season.

Problem is the bear are very scarce and getting out for a day or two (to an unknown, unscouted area) and happening into one of their daily routines is not very likely. If I did it I'd be picking a hunting spot totally blind. It would make a nice day it the woods but the odds on me seeing a bear are a million to one.

Plus, I don't know anything about hunting them but I will be boning up on it.

Anyone live out in Western MA that know of good areas to start with? Any property owners? Any hunters that need a partner?

I might look into Northern Worc County as well as I there have been a lot of them up there.

-Derek

Thanks. I actually read that soon after my post.

They have a HUGE range. Does not seem like an easy task without a lot of scouting. Then again neither are deer, and I've been lucky enough times.

well i don't think your allowed to bait in mass. so.........

the best tips i have is find a area where there are bears, try to more or less find a nice bear.

id use a tree stand, climber, hang on, ladder, what ever your preference is. soak a rag with Anise oil, hang it up about 20-30 yards from your stand and good-luck.

if you want to scout with a game cam, buy the cheapest one wally world has, put a little anise oil on it and well then you will know if there's any bear around, that's for sure.

A mother and cub have been coming through my back yard about every three days or so.
She's a beauty. Can't shoot her in my neighborhood though. I've spent many many hours in the woods out here and have only seen bear in various nieghborhoods.

I have however seen at least one taken from October Mountain. That would probably be the best place to start.

well i don't think your allowed to bait in mass. so.........

the best tips i have is find a area where there are bears, try to more or less find a nice bear.

id use a tree stand, climber, hang on, ladder, what ever your preference is. soak a rag with Anise oil, hang it up about 20-30 yards from your stand and good-luck.

if you want to scout with a game cam, buy the cheapest one wally world has, put a little anise oil on it and well then you will know if there's any bear around, that's for sure.

Hmm. Didn't know about the Anise Oil but a quick search on it makes it out to be crack for bears.

Shouldn't count as baiting, I would think it falls under the scent category.

I am not sure about hunting in this area... but we have been having real problems with the bears on the Appalchian Trail around Mt. Everett. They are so used to the backpackers there that they are not scared off easily and have heard that they have dragged off a backpack or two.

Try along the MA/Conn border. Especially around the Granville State Park. Seems Conn ships all their 'problem' bears up to a forest that borders MA in that area and many jump the fence into MA. Real bad bear problem around there. Saw 4 of them (or the same one 4 times) on a recent camping trip.

Cousin's husband shot the one last year that he just got back from Pope & Young and is in the top scores. One of the largest ever in MA (top 5 i think).

If I ever took ya up on the offer, I'd promise not to run it over[smile]

We have a really big mama bear and cubs around I think she would do alot of damage if you did. [laugh] Anytime you want to come up feel free. We have quite the wildlife out here. You might even see bullwinkle too.[laugh]

If I ever took ya up on the offer, I'd promise not to run it over[smile]

Why would you? Unless of course he is wearing one of these. [smile]

santa-hat.gif

Back
Top Bottom