Black Bear Hunting in Mass Revolver only ?

I read this as semi auto handguns are not allowed revolvers only What would be a reson for this.

BLACK BEAR
Permit required. Submit application attached to license to Westborough Field Headquarters prior to season opening. Zones 1–9 ONLY. Hunting only with rifle .23 caliber or larger, muzzleloader .44–.775 caliber, bows with 40 lb. pull or greater, or revolvers .357 Magnum or .40 caliber or larger. Revolvers permitted in September season only — shotguns prohibited. Dogs prohibited for hunting and training (see Hunting Dogs). Hunting hours close ½ hour after sunset except as noted in WMA Reg. #10. Successful hunters must tag bear immediately (with tag attached to permit) and bring bear to an official checking station within 48 hours. Limit 1 bear per year.

You won't find too many true stories of 1 shot kills on bears with a semi auto cartridge. Thats why.

auto pistols lack the power needed for taking an ethical shot. imo a 357 mag is small for hunting

5. Black bear may be hunted with handguns only during the September portion of the open season. The only handguns lawful for the hunting of black bear are the .357 Magnum revolver using .357 Magnum ammunition, and other revolvers chambered .40 caliber and larger.

Hmm I had plans of taking my 50ae Desert Eagle out next week for bear hunting apparently I missed the term *Revolver* Does this mean semi-automatic pistols cannot be used?

Chris

Not sure of the typo theory Mass CMR 3.02(1) Hunting of Bear

(i) Hunting Implements:

>snip< or a revolver chambered to take .357 Magnum cartridges, using only .357 Magnum cartridges, or a revolver chambered .40 caliber or larger.

Same Language

I wanted to carry a back up to the .308 bolt action that I use. Looks like I need to buy a large cal revolver

This a one way for Mass to get us to buy more guns I love this state !

I will need a second job if they pass the 1 gun a month thing

auto pistols lack the power needed for taking an ethical shot. imo a 357 mag is small for hunting[

Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy (ftlbs.)
50AE XTP 300 1449 1475
357 Mag XTP 158 548 1250

I don't understand how an auto lacks the power of an revolver I am looking for a reason for revolvers only is there something I am missing.

FYI -

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_bear.htm

From the above link:

"9. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS:
During the September period of the open season, black bears may be hunted by the following means: (1) a centerfire rifle .23 caliber or larger; (2) a muzzle-loading firearm, .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile, (3) a .357 Magnum revolver using .357 Magnum cartridges, or a revolver .40 caliber or larger; or (4) a bow and arrows, 40 lbs. at 28" draw or at peak draw for compound bows, using well-sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 in. width."

auto pistols lack the power needed for taking an ethical shot. imo a 357 mag is small for hunting[

Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy (ftlbs.)
50AE XTP 300 1449 1475
357 Mag XTP 158 548 1250

I don't understand how an auto lacks the power of an revolver I am looking for a reason for revolvers only is there something I am missing.

The maximum loaded .357 magnum has just over 700 ft lbs
The maximum loaded 50AE has 1600 ft lbs

Last edited:
I also think it has to do with stopping power and ethical shots. A .380 will barely stop a human on a good day, would you really want to trust your life to a cartridge that has limited penetration into a human body to be able to get through a bears fur, skin, fat, and hopefully hit a vital organ?

Are there some semi auto's that are capable of doing the job, probably, but they are few and far between. On the other hand I would not want to trust a J frame revolver loaded with .357 to stop a bear that was within striking range. The regulation could use some updating.

auto pistols lack the power needed for taking an ethical shot. imo a 357 mag is small for hunting

You won't find too many true stories of 1 shot kills on bears with a semi auto cartridge. Thats why.

Ok I can use a .40 cal revolver and not a 40cal auto is there a big difference in knock down power they both use the same ammo no other restrictions are listed (Barrel length, number of rounds it can hold) please inform me how a 40 revolver is ethical and a 40 cal auto is not

The smallest Revolver you can use has less than ½ the stopping power of the largest auto that you cannot use
The maximum loaded .357 magnum has just over 700 ft lbs
the maximum loaded 50AE has 1600 ft lbs

Regs are what they are.

Mass. DFW often solicits public comment in determining/altering hunting regulations. See the man...

So does that mean T/C Contenders in calibers larger than .35 caliber are are out?
I would think that .358 Win Mag would meet and exceed the caliber/power requirements.
I could get a revolver chambered in .45 ACP, but I wouldn't want to piss off a bear by bouncing one off his skull.

So does that mean T/C Contenders in calibers larger than .35 caliber are are out?
I would think that .358 Win Mag would meet and exceed the caliber/power requirements.
I could get a revolver chambered in .45 ACP, but I wouldn't want to piss off a bear by bouncing one off his skull.

I was thinking the same thing.

I imagine this all has to do with the date the regulation was written. It obviously needs updating. While in there, get rid of the "no larger than .38 in the woods at night" part, and the hunting with only .22LR at night for coyote part, and replace the .22 rimfire language with just "rimfire", since the .17 rimfires have come out since that law was written.

I just called a buddy and he found an older hunting abstract and it stated 357 magnum revolver and *Handguns 40 caliber and larger* I appears it may be a typo.

Chris

Like I said the abstacts in the past said *357 magnum revolver and *Handguns 40 caliber and larger*

The past does not matter, it used to be legal to own slaves too in the past, try doing that today.....

This must be a typo.

It can't possibly be that our legislators' lack of knowledge regarding anything that goes 'boom', could have produced legislation that doesn't make sense.

I spoke with the head office and the women was very helpful. She got back to me today and said the reason why it states "Revolvers" is the fact that when the rules / laws / guidlines ETC where written there where no Auto Pistols that they considered powerful enough.

Chris

Last edited:
I spoke with the head office and the women was very helpful. She got back to me today and said the reason why it states "Revolvers" is the fact that when the rules / laws / guidlines ETC where written there where no Auto Pistols that they considered powerful enough.

Chris

Well nothing has changed in this years Abstracts and I'm going Bear Hunting in 2 days.........I would have loved to take my 50AE but I guess it takes more to change the abstracts than a phone call :(

Chris

Well nothing has changed in this years Abstracts and I'm going Bear Hunting in 2 days.........I would have loved to take my 50AE but I guess it takes more to change the abstracts than a phone call :(

Chris

You think you can change a law with a phone call? Really? Sometimes this place astounds me....

You think you can change a law with a phone call? Really? Sometimes this place astounds me....

Yes all the idiots here that have guns astound me as well..... did you even read my post which lead up to my reply? If not try reading them first.

**But now going back and looking at some of your posts you appear to be an internet tough guy so I guess this is a normal post**

Mac

Last edited:
It took two years of petitions, numerous discussions at the monthly meetings, and boatloads of pressure from several hunter supported groups to get the regulation forbidding the use of hinge action muzzleloaders during blackpowder deer season changed two months ago. Yet you sit here whining that your single phone call ended up not being the catalyst that was needed to change the regulation on what handguns you can use on bear and you call everyone else idiots? Wow! Let me know where you hunt so I can make sure to always be far, far away......

First off I'm not whining I was just stating that nothing was changed. I spoke with the person that was in charge of the Hunting Abstracts and she got in touch with the person that supposedly wrote the regulations for the Bear Hunting portion and asked him why "revolver" was part of the regulation. He explained to her that when the regulations where written that there where no automatic handguns in there opinion that had the power to stop a Bear and agreed that the regulation should be now updated.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom