• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bitter Mellon? Anyone?

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Anyone here eat bitter melon too? First time was "yuck" now I love it in stir fry's.

1597094321030.png

1597094365600.png

👍 That dish looks perfectly done.
Not my photo, but looks just like it...except
I used habaneros from my garden, peanuts and white rice tossed in a little sweet teriyaki sauce. Mouth is on fire. Happy fire!

Bitter melon is excellent for diabetics and I've read that it has a chemical compound that is very close to quinine, and Asians will use the Bitter Melon medicinally with similar results...

I have a very lovely neighbor from India who asked if she could 'trellis' her Bitter Melon on my stockade fence.
I said "sure" and she said that anything that makes it over the fence is mine. [smile]

I have tried it several times, had to spit it out and wash my mouth out with the faucet every time. I tried really hard to but still failed. My wife loves the stuff.

Bitter Melon & Diabetes.

Bitter melon is like a natural Insulin-like fruit that helps control blood sugar levels.
I post this here because many are Diabetic, and dependent on insulin and pills to control their blood sugar.

In a SHTF situation where you may no longer have access to your diabetic meds. This easily-grown (here in the Northeast) fruit may increase your odds of survival.

Here is a quick read on Bitter melon and use by diabetics. It is from WebMed so it's not quackery. I have noticed lower blood glucose when adding Bitter melon to my diet.
Usually in the range of 15-30 points.
~Enbloc

Bitter Melon and Diabetes: Does It Help?

Excerpt from the WebMed webpage:

~How It Affects Diabetes...
Bitter melon has several chemicals that seem to act like insulin and help to lower blood sugar levels.
Some studies suggest that they do this by causing more glucose to enter the cells, and then helping your body process it and store it in the liver, muscles, and fat. They also may prevent your body from changing the nutrients that it stores into glucose and then releasing it into the blood.
Some studies show bitter melon can lower blood sugar and A1c levels in people with type 2 diabetes. But other studies have been far less promising, so research goes on.

Back
Top Bottom