• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bird guns

Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 would do the trick or used Remington 1100 you may find a old Savage 311 sxs or Sears made Zoli o/u for that kinda of money.
I personally would go with the Remington 870 it is a so all plenty of barrels available if you want HD barrel or longer trap barrel etc.
My 870 12 gauge came with two barrels. One is a 26" vent rib with a screw in modified choke tube installed. The other barrel is 20" with rifle sights and an improved cylinder choke installed. This combo can do just about anything required of a shotgun and is an excellent value for the money. Can't go wrong with the 870.

I've bird hunted for 30 years. Quail hunting is where you can use a regular old 12, and do fine...... but realistically, youll improve the experience by shooting a specialized gun. Lower gauge, shorter barrel, lighter gun. For instance, I would use a 28 gauge with a 26" barrel with skeet or improved cyl for quail, light to carry, recoil is nothing and you will be shooting doubles, and shooting a lot of rounds most of the time.

That same gun though should you decide to do a round of sporting clays, or trap would hamper you.....its not meant for that.

Tri Star makes some semi auto's in the Viper G2 line in your price range as well. Good solid guns that run well. Older pumps like the Ithaca 37, Mossy 500, Browning BPS. are good. But you need an open choke like skeet or imp cyl.

There are some Turkish O/U guns as well that would be plenty fine if your not shooting them a ton every year. Yildiz line of shotguns is decent and in your range too. Just know they are not Berettas or Brownings and won't have the life of a target gun,but for hunting every year.....plenty good at a low cost. Pretty nice guns too for the price.

For a good, yet inexpensive semi auto pick up a CZ1012. About $150 over your budget. I initially bought it as a “spare” gun for clays. It’s now my bird gun. Comes with five extended chokes, shoots super smooth and relatively soft.

View attachment 564420
Tri star line is very similiar....if not the same thing....and you can get the regular aluminum reciever with a walnut stock for around 500.

I'm interested in this as well. I have a Remington versa-max that I bought a few years ago for everything shotgun related. So far I have only used it for turkey and a few clays. But now that I am living in bird country I am very, very interested in bird hunting. The remi is a great gun but I am interested in thoughts about an O/U or side by side. I also need to check the laws. I believe some areas require you to insert a plug or something if your weapon can shoot more than three rounds. Don't quote me on that one though.
That's usually only migratory birds for the 3 shot plug. Ducks, Geese, etc.....not upland birds

For the most part......no one loads 5 rounds for pheasant/grouse/upland bird hunting anyway. If you have to shoot 5 rounds at one bird flushed over a dog....well.....you need to practice more than hunt.

If you want to spend a bit more CZ makes some nice side by sides called the bobwhite (double trigger) $700, or the sharptail (single trigger) $950. Anything new cheaper is pretty much junk and your better off buying an old double like a fox sterling worth, parker, hunter arms...etc. But they are just as pricy if not more.

Yildiz makes some nice O/U guns, as does CZ. Browning hunter line is about $1500....and worth it really. Citori' action will last you a long time, and for the price....its good quality. I just bought a 28 gauge hunter with the silver reciever and love it.

That's usually only migratory birds for the 3 shot plug. Ducks, Geese, etc.....not upland birds

Some upland birds, like woodcock and snipe, are migratory game birds under Federal law. Always consult the state hunting regulations manual.

Screenshot_20220114-163739_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

For the most part......no one loads 5 rounds for pheasant/grouse/upland bird hunting anyway. If you have to shoot 5 rounds at one bird flushed over a dog....well.....you need to practice more than hunt.

If you want to spend a bit more CZ makes some nice side by sides called the bobwhite (double trigger) $700, or the sharptail (single trigger) $950. Anything new cheaper is pretty much junk and your better off buying an old double like a fox sterling worth, parker, hunter arms...etc. But they are just as pricy if not more.

Yildiz makes some nice O/U guns, as does CZ. Browning hunter line is about $1500....and worth it really. Citori' action will last you a long time, and for the price....its good quality. I just bought a 28 gauge hunter with the silver reciever and love it.
I always assumed the 3 shot plug applied to upland too. I mostly hunt with a O/U just because I love the gun I use. I use my Ithaca 37 and 1148 in rain and snow.
If I loaded and shot 5 shells on a bird I would save the last shell for myself……..because I would get my balls busted so bad if I missed with 5 I would wish I was dead.

If you end up with a older double gun practice with the double trigger. There is a steep learning curve for me on those.

I take my 110 year old AH Fox out at least once a year hunting and spend a lot of time thinking about those double triggers.

I've mentioned the Stoeger M3000 on this forum several times as a do-it-all gun. Reliable Benelli internals and cheap. (They're $530 new at Cabela's.)

I'd be willing to sell it if you're interested. I bought another semi-auto 12 and don't use it except as a loaner.

For the OP - Quail Hunting 101 - Quail hunting is usually done with dogs who find a covey of Quail and "point" it's location. Hunters approach the dogs and the covey of birds (could be as many as 8 or 10) is flushed into the air in a million directions all at once. At the flush, the object of the game is push off the safety, mount the gun, pick out one Quail (the size of your fist) and shoot it as it flys away at 30 MPH, then pick out another bird and shoot it and maybe pick out a third and shoot it before they all fly out of range all in a period of about 5 sec. All the while maintaining your muzzle awareness and trying not to shoot your hunting partner (Dick Cheney sound familiar??) or the guide and most important of all, the guides' dogs.

Complicating the matter would be remembering to pump the gun (pump, Forrest, pump...). Side by side and over and under guns regardless of gauge are safer because they only hold two rounds and can be carried open and safe for everyone to see. Quail don't take a lot of killing so sub gauges like 20 ga, 28 ga. and even .410 is adequate. Just gotta hit'em first....

I would suggest you spend a little time with some clay targets and a hand trap practicing mounting the gun and sliding the safety off when you shoot before you go. Quail hunting is a great and enjoyable sport, just be careful !

Did I mention... DON'T shoot the guides dog !!!!!!

Last edited:

That is what I was wondering. Is it worth dishing out for something like the Citori? It seems very highly regarded. I am at the point in my life that things are probably being purchased for the last time, so good quality is important. I just need to learn what makes a really good shotgun, really good. Heck, my versa max with 28 inch barrel is technically not a turkey gun but man has it done well for me :)

My kid has a Browning 725 Trap gun. I shot one round of Trap. Went 24/25 (dropped the last one, of course).

I hate the gun. Balance is wrong; pistol grip is too tight; recoil impulse is unpleasant. I even don't like the sound of the action, when it closes.

With the exception of a couple of classic shotties I have, this is "worth" 5-10x any other shotgun I have, including the ones I use for "real" Trap. A good name is not the decider as to if it should be YOUR gun.

Try, before you buy.

I always assumed the 3 shot plug applied to upland too.

It really depends on the state. Check your local state laws.

Just for an example... CT requires a plugged shotgun while hunting turkey. (which I consider upland) and even deer hunting on public land.

And all I used was a lawn mower.
Heard a Poof and all these feathers came out the chute
Ran over one sitting on a nest while mowing the edge of the field,
Collected the eggs and gave them to the neighbor who hatched them.

use whatever fits you best...

whatever you choose, I would try to bust a lot of clays at trap/skeet so I could hit them when I went live. It is like golf - all kinesthetics...

that said, I shoot at a few private clubs and mostly run 20 ga O/U, I used to use a Browning, now use a Benelli. It is so light an with the recoil damping system, it is like nothing, One time just to f' with the fudds, I brought my AK style 12 ga I used for IPSC 3 gun....

use whatever fits you best...

whatever you choose, I would try to bust a lot of clays at trap/skeet so I could hit them when I went live. It is like golf - all kinesthetics...

that said, I shoot at a few private clubs and mostly run 20 ga O/U, I used to use a Browning, now use a Benelli. It is so light an with the recoil damping system, it is like nothing, One time just to f' with the fudds, I brought my AK style 12 ga I used for IPSC 3 gun....
Are you guys finding you prefer 20 gauge for birds?

Are you guys finding you prefer 20 gauge for birds?
It really depends.......20 will kill most any upland bird at medium ranges.

You need to look at the following.......

How far are you walking (weight of the gun)
How far is your average shot?
What species does it need to kill?

Geese and ducks....you really need a tight choked 12. But then again.....your not walking most of the time.....weight isn't an issue. But if your gonna walk 5 miles in the hills of Montana hunting prairie grouse.....it will feel like you carried a full auto BAR at the end of the day.

I shoot pheasant all day long with a Ruger or Browning 6 pound, 28 gauge loaded with 6's. But its over a dogs point...usually less than 25 yards. I have killed out farther.
That said, i shoot skeet with 28 gauge and average 23 per round. Not bragging....just saying I practice.

But if your raising some of those Prairie birds without a dog and the closest you can get is at 35 yards.......yeah....you might want to stick with a 12. Ask some of the locals.....how they hunt them and what they use out there.

Last edited:
That is what I was wondering. Is it worth dishing out for something like the Citori? It seems very highly regarded. I am at the point in my life that things are probably being purchased for the last time, so good quality is important. I just need to learn what makes a really good shotgun, really good. Heck, my versa max with 28 inch barrel is technically not a turkey gun but man has it done well for me :)
Im talking O/U's here.....first and foremost it has to fit you well.

What you get for your money in Beretta, Browning (B gun) and other higher cost guns is generally an action that will last a long time before it shoots loose, or wears out. Like thousands upon thousands of rounds. And good quality and customer service as well. But mainly, these actions are proven over millions of rounds. If you find one on the used rack and its loose.....its been shot a fxck ton. I have 2500 rounds thru my Browning CXS and its still stiff to open and close.

What you get when you buy a sub 1K Turkish gun is a gun that you can hunt with, shoot occasional trap and skeet with. It will serve you fine, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with most of them. CZ especially.

But if you think your going to be shooting weekly with it, pounding thousands of rounds....its gonna be a sloppy mess in 3 years or less. And if you send it back to Turkey....well...I;m not sure.

CZ has a good reputation as a middle of the road gun....they have cheaper models, and they have B gun priced models. I'd lean toward the cheaper...the action is the same, they just put fancy wood and metal work on it.

Last edited:
Im talking O/U's here.....first and foremost it has to fit you well.

What you get for your money in Beretta, Browning (B gun) and other higher cost guns is generally an action that will last a long time before it shoots loose, or wears out. Like thousands upon thousands of rounds. And good quality and customer service as well. But mainly, these actions are proven over millions of rounds. If you find one on the used rack and its loose.....its been shot a fxck ton. I have 2500 rounds thru my Browning CXS and its still stiff to open and close.

What you get when you buy a sub 1K Turkish gun is a gun that you can hunt with, shoot occasional trap and skeet with. It will serve you fine, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with most of them. CZ especially.

But if you think your going to be shooting weekly with it, pounding thousands of rounds....its gonna be a sloppy mess in 3 years or less. And if you send it back to Turkey....well...I;m not sure.

CZ has a good reputation as a middle of the road gun....they have cheaper models, and they have B gun priced models. I'd lean toward the cheaper...the action is the same, they just put fancy wood and metal work on it.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom