• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bipod experience on a Savage Scout Rifle

I purchased a Savage Scout in 7/08 to achieve a flatter trajectory. I evaluate my center fire rifles to at least 600 yards. It has a plastic stock and below is how I had to aim it at mid range.
m1ZBLLzh.jpg

Firing position small building with red roof, back stop has one E target at 635 yards. Targets can be set up at 100, 200 and 300 and can double print shooting first target at 300 and same bullets goes through second target at 600.

Firing position has loading room so rounds can be fabricated with different loads and back to bench in a few minutes. Bench is 4" solid concrete top.

At any rate I worked up a good load and put a Harris bipod on it and things went south immediately.

I quickly learned that in order to get a hit at 600 yards absolutely no external force could be applied to the plastic stock. To achieve 100% hit probability I had to pre aim the rifle and adjust rear sand back till the rifle had a natural point of aim center of the target.

Then as if I was going to pet a sleeping rattle snake I very gently eased up and gripped the stock and rear bag making sure to not disturb point of aim. When I did this I could get 100% hits at 635 yards on the E target (steel plate, painted white with 4" black dot center chest). Then all I had to do is watch the mirage and VERY GENTLY change POA so as to achieve POI when the wind picked up.

Back
Top Bottom