• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BIP (Build In Progress) w/pics

SJan

NES Member
This is my first build and will be my second AR.

Just picked up the lower today. The upper, the bolt carrier group and charging handle came in yesterday.

uplowbcgch.jpg

uplow.jpg

S&W stripped lower
BCM bolt carrier group
CMT M4 upper
Bushmaster M4 barrel assembly 14.5 and will perm attach PWS FSC556
RRA lower parts kit
MOE grip
Cavalry arms A1 stock
Troy folding battle sight
EOTech 512 w/ LaRue mount

Waiting for the brown truck...

Nice call on the BCM and The PWS - all your parts selection seem to be top notch, (I can't say anything +/- about Bushmaster barrels and am not an A1 fan on a carbine). Looks like you'll have quite a nice rifle. Can't wait to see the finished product...

Rob Boudrie, S & W stripped lowers are available at First Defense Firearms, got mine there last weekend.

MassMark what type of stock are you a fan of?

The barrel assembly has arrived, looks sweet. Still waiting on a few more packages...

Last edited:
Ok can I ask a stupid question?
What part of the build is considered the gun for legal purposes?
Are all the parts available somewhere and you just build it like a kit car?
Some one part has a serial number and is the basis for the build and is a controlled item?

The stripped lower is considered the firearm.

MassMark, I've had good luck with the Bushmaster barrels. I've used a couple of them, I just wish I had the $$ available when they did a run of 1:7 twist barrels. The two I've built using theirs are 1:9 and shoot very well.

The stripped lower is considered the firearm.

MassMark, I've had good luck with the Bushmaster barrels. I've used a couple of them, I just wish I had the $$ available when they did a run of 1:7 twist barrels. The two I've built using theirs are 1:9 and shoot very well.

Excellent - thanks for the tip. I'm considering building something diabolical and am looking for a good barrel...[devil]

Last edited:
PB080057.jpg

Here is the freshly neutered bayonet lug. You know how hard it is to put a cutting wheel to a brand new barrel assembly? Anyway, for touching up the finish, I have read everything from sharpie marker, to all out re-perk. Anyone have any luck with touch up made for blued finishes? I figure if I use coarse sand paper so its not a smooth finish it should look ok. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ouch! That's not how I would have done it. Take a look at mine. All that was ground off where the sides of the lug and then it was blued. It does not accept a bayonet now but it still looks like you have the lug. IMHO this looks much better.

414529887_owPD6-L.jpg

414529878_9UuV3-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom