• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Binos at the range

During our matches I use 10x binos for spotting out to 600yrds. Granted we’re shootings steel I can watch trace as well as see the impacts on plate. I much prefer binos to spotter for this as it’s easier on the eyes and a wider field of view.

If ur just looking to see tiny holes at a static target at 300 a spotter might be better.

Little too far. Spotting scope. When I’m in your awesome neck of the woods this is what we carry. Slips into a backpack, not To heavy. Go angle not straight. When your glassing for that monster mulie you know as well as I you’re most likely to be on a slope looking down or up, angle scopes are much better for MTs terrain.
B2B7D54A-A6F3-4D1E-B52C-6FA40BB4CE7D.jpeg

Last edited:
They could work if you use splatter targets and are shooting a decent diameter bullet like .450-.460.

With splatter targets and some OK binos I was able to see hits at 300, but I prefer to use a spotting scope.

Everyone’s eyes react a bit different when looking through glass. In my experience a 10x pair of binos used for holes on paper at 300 yds is not going to cut it. You are going to need something much stronger. Then the moving while you are looking through them because you are holding them is going to be a distraction. You would be better off getting a cheap spotting scope with stand. If all you are wanting to accomplish is seeing the holes on paper with some sort of clarity a cheap spotting scope will suite your needs and save you $$.

Everyone’s eyes react a bit different when looking through glass. In my experience a 10x pair of binos used for holes on paper at 300 yds is not going to cut it. You are going to need something much stronger. Then the moving while you are looking through them because you are holding them is going to be a distraction. You would be better off getting a cheap spotting scope with stand. If all you are wanting to accomplish is seeing the holes on paper with some sort of clarity a cheap spotting scope will suite your needs and save you $$.
I agree with this except on the "cheap" part.

If you buy a cheap spotting scope today, you will end up spending more on a better spotting scope tomorrow. In the end, you will pay more.

If you are serious about shooting, buy a good one now.

If all you care about is hitting a 20"x20" square for fun and will never take it past the fun stage, then a cheap spotting scope could be enough. You might not even need a spotting scope if you shoot at steel.

Last edited:
I agree with this except on the "cheap" part.

If you buy a cheap spotting scope today, you will end up spending more on a better spotting scope tomorrow. In the end, you will pay more.

If you are serious about shooting, buy a good one now.

If all you care about is hittong a 20"x20" square for fun and will never take it past the fun stage, then a cheap spotting scope could be enough. You might not even need a spotting scope if you shoot at steel.
If all he needs to accomplish is looking at holes in paper at 300 yds a cheap spotter wil do the job. He’s not looking to see trace, give corrections etc a cheap scope will accomplish this. I on the other hand fall into the crowd of buy once cry once.

What's the minimum power needed to see. 224 holes at 300y?
Depends on the quality of the glass, stability of the optic, atmospheric conditions, mirage, etc.

At CMP matches, I usually need the 60x max of my spotting scope and it’s still difficult sometimes at 300.

I will say though, image stabilization in optics is amazingly effective and I wish it were more common. I can see details with my image stabilized 7x range finder that I can’t see with stronger magnification non-stabilized binoculars.

And there lies the problem with shooting at greater than 100 yards. Not only do you need a good rifle and good ammo, you also need an excellent scope and a pretty good spotting scope. You could easily spend more money on both the scope and the spotting scope than on the rifle.

Thanks guys. I will be shooting mostly 223 and 308 at that distance. I have a 10×42 meopta meostar hd. Also have a tripod for it. I will try it out but you guys are confirming my concern. It is probably pushing it.

I have put off getting a spotter because I'm not concerned with counting points on an antler when hunting. But this may be the excuse needed to get one and use it for dual purposes. Good ones are pricey. I'm guessing a couple grand. My binos were not cheap neither.

What's the minimum power needed to see. 224 holes at 300y?
Its not power its clarity and resolution
I have a 20x80x100 spot
Like looking through a dirty fish tank once you zoom over 40 your not seeing 223 holes at 200 with this pos
Then I have a “better” scope with. 27x long eye relief eye piece 223 is easy with good light and back drop 300 maybe but would need very good light and no mirage.

As for binos , left eye dominate and never seem to get binos eye pieces close enough together to get that perfect view.
I have these and mounted on a tripod might , might do ok? image.jpg

Last edited:
I went the route of buy once - cry once myself. I settled on the Nightforce TS-80 a few years ago because of the general reputation for quality and it was advertised for hunting. I know you can use the Swarovski's, Leica's, et al for hunting but I thought Nightforce's recognition of that use might result in an enhancement or two over their competitors. MSRP at a couple of online sites a few minutes ago is $1595.

Thanks guys. I will be shooting mostly 223 and 308 at that distance. I have a 10×42 meopta meostar hd. Also have a tripod for it. I will try it out but you guys are confirming my concern. It is probably pushing it.

I have put off getting a spotter because I'm not concerned with counting points on an antler when hunting. But this may be the excuse needed to get one and use it for dual purposes. Good ones are pricey. I'm guessing a couple grand. My binos were not cheap neither.
Your 10x will do fine, with painted steel or splatter targets. If not, it's a relatively short walk.

I use a Kowa 881-82mm spotting scope with a 25X long eye relief eye piece. If it is hot and humid it is still difficult to see .223 holes at 300/600 yards because of the mirage. When I bought it I spoke with David Tubbs from the Creedmore shooting team. He told me that a 25X eye piece was good enough for .223 out to 300 yards. if you had a 20-60X eye piece and you brought up the magnification it's just as hard to see the holes because you magnify the mirage as well as the target. He also told me if I'm not using the spotting scope to bird watch or take photos then I don't need to pay for the Flourite lens.

You can get a scope and lens for closer to a grand. Creedmore Spotting Scopes

Last edited:
During our matches I use 10x binos for spotting out to 600yrds. Granted we’re shootings steel I can watch trace as well as see the impacts on plate. I much prefer binos to spotter for this as it’s easier on the eyes and a wider field of view.

If ur just looking to see tiny holes at a static target at 300 a spotter might be better.
Agreed. I usually use a pair of 15x. Covers out past 600 yards just fine.

If you want to see bullet holes, no. You'll need a spotting scope. I keep a pair of 10x in my range bag but I also keep a spotting scope in the back seat of my truck.

I got a nice Bushnell spotting scope, literally dusty but I used off eBay for $50 a few years ago. It's awesome. Tripod and stout. Single eye work. Can put it a few inches left of your position if you are a rightie and just tip your head in between shots.

A friend is better, but a dedicated spotting scope will pay for itself.

I use a Kowa 881-82mm spotting scope with a 25X long eye relief eye piece. If it is hot and humid it is still difficult to see .223 holes at 300/600 yards because of the mirage. When I bought it I spoke with David Tubbs from the Creedmore shooting team. He told me that a 25X eye piece was good enough for .223 out to 600 yards. if you had a 20-60X eye piece and you brought up the magnification it's just as hard to see the holes because you magnify the mirage as well as the target. He also told me if I'm not using the spotting scope to bird watch or take photos then I don't need to pay for the Flourite lens.

You can get a scope and lens for closer to a grand. Creedmore Spotting Scopes
You can see 223 holes at 600 yards?
Or you can see the score spotter at 600 yards?

I got a nice Bushnell spotting scope, literally dusty but I used off eBay for $50 a few years ago. It's awesome. Tripod and stout. Single eye work. Can put it a few inches left of your position if you are a rightie and just tip your head in between shots.

A friend is better, but a dedicated spotting scope will pay for itself.
A pole stand is even better for positions

Its not power its clarity and resolution
I have a 20x80x100 spot
Like looking through a dirty fish tank once you zoom over 40 your not seeing 223 holes at 200 with this pos
Then I have a “better” scope with. 27x long eye relief eye piece 223 is easy with good light and back drop 300 maybe but would need very good light and no mirage.

As for binos , left eye dominate and never seem to get binos eye pieces close enough together to get that perfect view.
I have these and mounted on a tripod might , might do ok? View attachment 579860
Id rather lug around two spotting scopes instead of those binos[rofl]

I think it really depends on what exactly your trying to do. If your shooting static at a paper target at 300 yards Id definitely go with some sort of spotter. For my use in spotting multiple targets at multiple yardages on the clock the lower power and greater field of view are a lot easier to use. A tripod is highly recommended for either a spotter or binos.

In certain weather conditions or ranges it can sometimes be difficult to see holes in paper at 200 even with my Kowa 82SV / 25X LER on a stand.

At 300, it's a gamble. At 6, nope, no way.

Doesn't matter, at 3 and beyond the scope is used to read wind/mirage and to see the scoring disc/spotter.

Like a few guys @mac1911 @dhuze mentioned, a variable eyepiece makes things muddy, I've used both and prefer a fixed eyepiece.

Lastly, as already mentioned, rifle shooting isn't just about the rifle. A "buy one cry once" spotting scope setup with a stand will run you ~1500 from Creedmoor sports.

@mac1911 How good is your better scope? I learned my lesson when I scoped my 308 and bought a pair of binos, buy good glass. If I pull the trigger I am leaning toward a Kowa tsn 773 with Kowa's wide angle 25 to 60 zoom eye piece. It has a very nice camera adapter as well so my wife can use it for hunting with the camera. She has a 600mm lens for the camera but believe it or not, it's just not enough at times. For example, yesterday we came across a golden, a mature bald and four younger eagles feeding on a carcass, but we could not get close enough for a great shot. Not without them spooking. It would have been incredible to get that shot.

I am doing a great job of talking myself into this. It will be used for hunting, range duty and photography. We are practically doing one of these activities every day. I can't believe I don't have one yet. ;)

This all we got of the birds.............

Eagle-1-1.jpg

I have a low end Leupold spotting scope and it even sucks at 100yards. Waisted money.
It seemed to have the specs.
As someone pointed out above, its the glass and quality in the scope.
You would want to check them out, preferably side by side.

Id rather lug around two spotting scopes instead of those binos[rofl]

I think it really depends on what exactly your trying to do. If your shooting static at a paper target at 300 yards Id definitely go with some sort of spotter. For my use in spotting multiple targets at multiple yardages on the clock the lower power and greater field of view are a lot easier to use. A tripod is highly recommended for either a spotter or binos.
Yeah these just sit around for yard use.
I use a spotting scope for shooting.
I keep a cheap pos 12x32x60 in the truck for random range trips.

Back
Top Bottom