Binocular Recommondations

kro77

NES Member
I wanted to survey the wider audience and see if people could recommend some good binoculars for my father for Christmas, he mostly watches birds and seals down on cape and looking to spend under 300 for a set. Seems like that gives me options for some nicer things without going crazy.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks K.

“Birders”are the most knowledgeable folks on optics I know of.

This comparison was super popular back in the day. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/best-binoculars-the-cornell-lab-review-2013/

Current
Up to $500. http://www.audubon.org/news/category-good-value
Under $200 http://www.audubon.org/news/category-get-game
Kowa is highly regarded.

Personally I favor Fujinon military/Marine, or Nikon But our needs are different.

Does he wear glasses? If so you have to pick ones with lots of eye relief.

Also any recommendations on magnification is see 8x 10x 12x are all in play is there one that is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider used - cause binoculars don't really degrade or get out of date. I found an old pair of Japanese binoculars at my mom's place, very nice optics and pretty much worthless on Ebay. Only downside is their heavy due to metal frame.

As for new - I have some Steiners, not a big fan. Try Nikon, great bang for the buck.

Also any recommendations on magnification is see 8x 10x 12x are all in play is there one that is recommended?
I would stick with 8. While 10 or 12 sounds better, it’s harder to keep them steady. Most likely viewing angle and depth of field will be better with 8X as well.

In New England woodlands you don’t have the best sight lines. Shore birds or lakes, higher power would come in handy.

8x is the sweet spot for birding. I have an old pair of 8x42 Swift Audubon's w/ED glass. The views are incredible, good eye relief (important for eyeglass wearers, and field of view. I have used 10x and up, but as garandman says it is tough to keep them steady unless you have a monopod or tripod. That is, unless you want to break the bank and go for a pair of Canon 10x42 image stabilizing binoculars.

Nikon Monarch 5 with 8x magnification.

- - - Updated - - -

I would stick with 8. While 10 or 12 sounds better, it’s harder to keep them steady. Most likely viewing angle and depth of field will be better with 8X as well.

In New England woodlands you don’t have the best sight lines. Shore birds or lakes, higher power would come in handy.

Ditto. I have 8x and 10x and I have a hard time focusing on details with the 10x because it's damn near impossible to hold them steady enough.

Heading out to GTNP/Yellowstone in a couple weeks, and I’m looking for some recommendations for a good pair of binoculars. Mostly for checking out scenery, and scanning for animals along hiking routes.

Would the same things to look for apply for this purpose as they would for birding?

Looking to stay in the $200-250 range.

Thanks!

I drove myself nuts choosing between 8 and 10x. Mostly used for birding, but will use for hunting this year. Got 8x and couldn’t be happier. Have an old set of 10x, and they are shakier, and if they have a narrower field of vision, can be harder to spot something when it is moving or time is of the essense.

I got a pair of Vortex Vipers. A bit more than your range, but so worth it. They just changed them a bit with an update, maybe you can find them on clearance?

Vortex Diamondbacks. best warrantee in the market. awesome glass. I have the 10 x 42's

I have a pair of Vortex Diamond backs as well that I have use for hunting and been happy with them. They are good glass for the money.

I picked up a Vortex monocular to try for hunting this season. As they are 1/2 the weight.

Bob

Heading out to GTNP/Yellowstone in a couple weeks...

When traveling by air I've found you need to become a lot more weight conscious with your binos. 22 pounds (10 kilos) seems to be the limit for carry-ons now. I switched from a nice pair of Minox 8.5x43 APO HGs to some 8x28 Vortex Vipers that weigh less than half as much - just under a pound with case. I'm giving up some field of view and dawn/dusk capabilities, but they are fine for my purposes when traveling across the country or to Europe. These Vipers unfortunately are discontinued but NOS ones come up on eBay from time to time.

Lots of great info here: Binoculars - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 1

Consider used - cause binoculars don't really degrade or get out of date. I found an old pair of Japanese binoculars at my mom's place, very nice optics and pretty much worthless on Ebay.

I have a set of Tasco 8x30 porro prisms from the 70's that were my Dad's that live in the truck. Made in Japan and better images than 95% of the <$200 Chinee crap that's sold today.

Got my mother the Canons linked below years ago, she loves them and her old man tries to gank them from her any time they had out with them leaving her with the shitty $35 Nikons he got her(which he would grab from her before I got her a proper pair). It only took a few times of him bogarting them before she told him to F'off and to stop being a cheap bastard and get himself a decent set. Last I heard he sits and sulks since the Nikons became his default binos. [rofl2]

Canon 8x25 IS Image Stabilized Binocular 7562A002 B&H Photo

Back
Top Bottom