BILL WOULD REMOVE NFA RESTRICTIONS ON SBRS

mikeyp

NES Member
Yes please

Legislation announced Tuesday would remove short-barreled rifles from regulation under the National Firearm Act and treat them like regular firearms.

The bill, entitled the “Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act,” was introduced to the U.S. House this week by Rep. Roger Marshall. The Kansas Republican argues that SBRs have been overregulated since 1934 and that needs to change.

“Opponents of the Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act want to use bureaucracy and regulations to obstruct citizens attempting to exercise their God-given right to keep and bear arms,” said Marshall in a statement issued by his office. “The firearms addressed in this bill are commonly used for hunting, personal defense, and competitive shooting.”

Under current law, as regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, SBRs are classified as a rifle with an overall length of fewer than 26-inches and/or a barrel of fewer than 16-inches in length.
Marshall’s bill would remove such limits from NFA enforcement, regulating SBRs in the future under the same rules as other rifles.

According to statistics from the ATF, some 413,167 SBRs were listed on the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) as of May 2019. Such figures have steadily risen through the years as these firearms become more popular and gun owners elect, for example, to legally convert AR and AK-style pistols to SBRs after processing a Form 1 and paying a $200 tax stamp. In 2014– just a half-decade ago– there were only 137,201 SBRs on the books.

The measure has the support of gun rights groups to include the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America. It has been listed as H.R. 5289 and has 16 co-sponsors, all Republicans.

“Since I came to Congress, I have fought tooth and nail to stop attempts that would strip our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms,” said Marshall. “This bill will eliminate regulations designed not to protect Americans, but to deny them their Constitutional rights.”

H.R. 5289 has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means, as well as to the Committee on the Judiciary. Both are controlled by Democrats.

it's about f***ing time!

Given the brace situation, everyone pretty much already got all the SBRs they want. But something tells me that once the beast tasted the meat, ripping it out would not be easy.

I don't see this happening with Demonrats running the house. Not to mention that NOTHING got done when the Rs controlled all 3 branches. If nothing good happened then, it never will.

it's about f***ing time!

Given the brace situation, everyone pretty much already got all the SBRs they want. But something tells me that once the beast tasted the meat, ripping it out would not be easy.

I honestly think the brace thing was a ham fisted concession BATFE made to reduce SBR registrations because of the constant backlog... It was their way of silently acknowledging how f***ing stupid that part of NFA is... I mean they're all infringing but regulating barrel length and suppressors is top 10 most retarded gun laws of all time...

I am glad that it's getting proposed, but will be DOA until we have both houses back under rep control and then really who knows.
The empty promises and complete failure to act from 2016-2018 makes me think that we wont get a goddamn thing back.
I would love to see the 2nd amendment be a proper campaigning promise during 2020, with actual promises of specific actions being made.
Reforming/Repealing the NFA would be a big one which would probably easier than national reciprocity which is a unicorn fart in a hurricane.

I think some of this would be possible now that Ryan is gone......he was a crony corportist big gov POS

Don't forget that Paul Ryan was basically a product created by other shitpublicans, Ryan was just a symptom of a bigger problem... He wouldn't have ever been speaker if "they" hadn't put him there.

-Mike

The democrats in the house passed an AWB that is going nowhere in the senate - they sure as hell would not allow this bill.

Don't forget that Paul Ryan was basically a product created by other shitpublicans, Ryan was just a symptom of a bigger problem... He wouldn't have ever been speaker if "they" hadn't put him there.

-Mike

And most of the weasels that put Ryan the Rino there decided to not run for reelection last go round because MUH PRINCIPAL$!

I'd be more worried about squishes in the Senate like Mittens.

Very brave considering nothing pro 2A has a snowballs chance in hell of passing now which I'm sure he's well aware of.
Now he can tell the rubes what a great guy he is and he's such a pro gun hero.
GFYS
Where was he two years ago when it could have passed ?
What really pisses me off is their low option of our intelligence.

Very brave considering nothing pro 2A has a snowballs chance in hell of passing now which I'm sure he's well aware of.
GFYS

Of all the sentences to have a typo. [rofl2] Made me LOL.

I’ve yet to see any evidence that the GOP actually supports the 2nd amendment. Some of their members introduce bills like this from time to time, but they never go anywhere, even when the GOP is in charge.

Keep in mind that between 80-90% of all bills are DOA.

Historical Statistics about Legislation in the U.S. Congress -- GovTrack.us

NFA reform or repeal is a non-option for all but a tiny amount of Dems, like maybe one or two, and some Republicans. We'd need serious support just to get this passed even if NFA repeal wasn't "controversial." The media would go full "dead bodies in the streets" if this even came up to being heard in committee. From a political point of view for most reps/senators outside of very safe, conservative seats, this is about as palatable as cod liver oil or a prostate exam without anesthesia.

GFYS
Agree with the general assessment, that this bill is a snowball. Whether it's an electioneering canard is yet to be seen, although I agree it's often done.
In this case it's worth noting that Marshall was a first elected to the House in the 2016 election with no prior elected political experience. It usually take a term or so for such freshman/woman Representatives to figure out the ropes and how to get bills written and into the process, unless one is simply a puppet submitting bills their masters have pre-written for them (ex. AOC), and/or doesn't care about the ropes (ex. The Squad).

NFA is unconstitutional in several ways, so best hope is to keep stacking the Supreme Court with patriots.

I ignore Congress, nothing good will come from them, ever.

I love how republicans introduce bills like this when they are out of power but if they gained majority rule again in 2020 this bill would never see the light of day. I swear this is just catnip for gun people for donation money.

We HAD the house, the senate and the presidency, where "we" = Republican.
We could have passed pro-gun legislation - modified the NFA law or gone with a national CCW for example.
Mitch McConnell kept saying "it's not the right time".
Now that we have a Democratic majority in Congress - there's no way to pass pro-gun legislation.

I voted for Trump because I voted against Hillary. He's not a politician, but he is a salesman - he'll wheel and deal depending upon what he considers to be in his best interest. He's not really pro-gun. I personally think that bumpstocks are silly, a range toy. But now they're banned on a federal level, under his administration.

I'm considering NFA applications for silencers. My braced AR pistols are effectively SBRs, and they can travel out of state as pistols.

blueboy.jpg

We HAD the house, the senate and the presidency, where "we" = Republican.
We could have passed pro-gun legislation - modified the NFA law or gone with a national CCW for example.
Mitch McConnell kept saying "it's not the right time".
Now that we have a Democratic majority in Congress - there's no way to pass pro-gun legislation.

I voted for Trump because I voted against Hillary. He's not a politician, but he is a salesman - he'll wheel and deal depending upon what he considers to be in his best interest. He's not really pro-gun. I personally think that bumpstocks are silly, a range toy. But now they're banned on a federal level, under his administration.

I'm considering NFA applications for silencers. My braced AR pistols are effectively SBRs, and they can travel out of state as pistols.

He put Gorsach and Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. This is way more valuable than bump stocks. He's got the Dems openly threatening the Supreme Court. Twist the knife, Trump!

Back
Top Bottom