1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bill Wightman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Admin, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

WTKK got their daily call from me asking when Jay is going to be back. The man who answered the phone actually spent a few minutes with me and seemed very sympathetic and in agreement with my view that the station will suffer without him. I reminded him that I was not alone and that literally thousands and thousands of other listeners were not tuning in until they wised up and put Severin back on the air. He told me he hopes it's soon, because he'd like to keep his job...and without listeners and without those listeners buying from the sponsors, the cash flow dries up. It was a good call.

2. AtlasShrugging

AtlasShrugging

The guys filling in his slot are still saying "This is X, in for Jay Severin." I wonder if that means anything.

3. Dick

Dick

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Can't imagine they'd be letting them say that if they weren't planning to have Severin back.

4. pdm

pdm NES Member

Yeah, it means they're trying to keep you listening. [grin]

5. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

This is getting more interesting by the day. Especially, the shed factor.

6. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Thanks folks who call in. I haven't been listening either... I tried for a few minutes but switched to WRKO out of boredom. Then they pre-empted Howie with sports. I hate sports. So, I had to drive in silence.

7. BBQ.Uncle

I've tried several times today to make my daily phone call to WTKK so I could remind them how badly their afternoon program sucks without Severin. However, the phone just rings & rings. Ordinarily, it's either busy (with Jay on) or you can get through eventually. Now it just rings. Is anyone really listening to this station?

8. Mike S

Mike S NES Member

I've been calling as well. It's funny I can only take Jay in small doses and enjoyed his show much more in the pre 9/11 days but still, it would be good to have him back, the replacements are un-listenable

9. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I tuned in, I think yesterday and some metrosexual host was about to interview Mr. Skin, the owner of a website that showcases nude or mostly nude pictures of celebs. I quickly turned to a music station.

I don't mean to disparage nude Cameron Diaz photos, in fact I heartily approve of them, but the setting was stupid.

That is an interview for Matty in the Morning, if he is even still around, or youtube surfing.

The Best & Brightest, whatever you might think of them, are political junkies. Way to win them over, WTKK! Who is your VP Marketing, the Sales Director at WRKO????

10. Mike S

Mike S NES Member

[laugh2] nice Pipes! Love it.

11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I accidentally turned the channel to them on the way home for 5 minutes... who's that boring guy they have on now? Its even worse than Sliwa filling in.

12. ItalianBostonian

ItalianBostonian

I read in today's Herald that Jay may not be coming back.

13. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Jay has a reported million dollar salary, and his ratings do not justify that kind of coin. Greater Media is a privately held company and is cutting back across the board ( WBOS is automated, WROR is automated a good part of the day, WMJX is a ratings leader though)
    and if they could get rid of Jay and replace him with someone for 1/3 the cost they'd do it. I bet they'd bring in syndicated programming if it wasn't for the fact they hamstrung themselves with the "live and local" slogan ( Imus and Sliwa excepted of course!) they would probably pipe in someone from out of market and concede PM drive to Howie Carr.

This has nothing to do with criminaliens and everything to do with Jays salary.

14. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Actually Matty is still around, WXKS FM, A.K.A. Kiss108 is celebrating their 30th anniversary this week, the Kiss Concert is this weekend, and they just announced Matty is going to be syndicated again, to the Providence market!

In other Cheap Channel news, they are seeking to restructure their debt, trying not to be the next Citadel or Nassau.
    This week Nassau turned over an 85% share of their company to Goldman Sachs and control of the company. 2 NH stations have to be sold to meet FCC ownership caps, and expect WCRB 99.5 , Bostons pseudo classical station to become a hip hop station any minute now. When WEEI pulled out of the syndication deal, a deal they set up to keep the morning guys from jumping ship to a Nassau start up sports network, Nassau was doomed.

15. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Michael Smerconish just announced on his Philadelphia-based morning show that he will be doing "three shows" today; after his regular morning and early-afternoon syndicated shows, he said he is doing afternoon drive in Boston "today only". He didn't mention the station, but I would imagine that it's gotta be WTKK.

But here's where it gets interesting: Smerconish added that he would be doing the live show today to "introduce himself" to the Boston market because he had signed a deal with a station there.

Now, if I were a betting man:

5-9 am Imus (Moby Worm comin' to eat up your school...)
    9 am-12 noon Jim & Margery (new time)
    12 noon-2 pm Smerconish (new show)
    2-7 pm Michael Graham (new time)

16. kevin9

kevin9

Great [rolleyes]. Here's some snippets on Smerconish.
    In Philly, Conservative Talk Radio Host Backs Obama

From his web site:
    On Sen. Sphincter

17. BBQ.Uncle

I've listened to Smerconish & seen him on TV for awhile now. He's not a conservative by any stretch. He's akin to Joe Scarborough and little more than a tool for the left. He's a RINO. I don't like him.

18. Navy Moose

Navy Moose

If Jay was convicted of a crime, WRKO would hire him to replace the Felon. [laugh]

19. K-DUB

K-DUB

I haven't listened to 96.9 since they took Jay off. It was tough at first, but I have a crapload of CD's that I've been neglecting. Sliwa & Smirconish are insufferable, as is most of the other line-up. Jay Severin, Michael Graham, & Joe Ligotti were the only decent entertainers there.

20. seanc

seanc

I have tuned in to Wtkk a few times since Jay left. Yesterday, 2 yutzes from Detroit talking about American idol and and Miss America.. unlistenable drivel and full of commercials. I lasted maybe 2 minutes and turned off.

With the exception of Michael Graham, the money show and phantom gourmet the station is IMO unlistenable.
    Jimmy Meyers? leftwing, all things racial moonbat.
    Braude? flat out unapologetic commie
    McPhee? I'm a "conservative". yeah, just like Hillary Clinton is.

As Serverin has said many times.. liberals, by and large, just can not compell an audience to listen as they are not able to argue with logic, and are therefore are not revenue generators..

So, it looks like it will be back to Kenny G-spot back in jay's spot shortly.

21. Gonzo

Gonzo

I think I'm gonna have to get some books on CD to listen to. Been driving around with nothing on for a while, but the sound of the Jeep's engine is reminding me of how much I'm neglecting the damn thing.

1 person likes this.
  22. BBQ.Uncle

Get yourself a satellite radio subscription. There's plenty of good conservative talk radio out there for the picking. Screw WTKK.

23. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Freakin' funny thread. Yea, thanks to namedpipes' link, I had to necromancy the thread. HE HE HE

Looks like Reeds Ferry lied since Bill Wightman is still voicing their commercials. But what I want to know is who is the ding dong that wrote and sings their horrible jingle?

It seems like that guy writes and sings most of the radio commercial jingles in town, and his voice SUCKS!

2 people like this.
  24. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I heard a radio commercial over the weekend for some other product, now I can't recall what they were hawking but it wasn't sheds.

At any rate the voice and "tone" was strikingly similar to the Reeds Ferry ads.

I suspect the owner now sells more than just sheds.

25. lancecolonel

lancecolonel NES Member

The right window guy and some bank guy sound very similar.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.