1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bill Wightman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Admin, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Is there a smiley for patting oneself on the back?

2. bdutton

bdutton

Wow.

Mr Carleton sounds like an upstanding guy.

This Bill Wightman should be looking for a new job.

3. Ninsho

Ninsho

At the rate he is going he probably will be.

4. lord1234

lord1234

Bill Wightman

Bill has worked in the production departments of WEEI, WRKO and MIKE-FM in Boston. After 10 years of hosting morning-drive radio in central New York, Bill was hired as the afternoon jock at WAAF. He has 27 years of on-air experience, including 5 years as traffic reporter for Channel 7, morning drive host on WXKS-AM, and news anchor on Talk 96.9 FM and WROR.

Bill currently owns North Shore Media, a boutique agency that manages radio, television and print advertising for a number of Boston-area businesses. Bill teaches digital production at CSB School of Broadcasting.

http://www.gocsb.com/en/locations/massachusetts/ma-boston/instructor-bios

5. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

He now has another lesson for the lesson plan...

6. Big Daddy 45acp

Big Daddy 45acp Instructor

Thank you sir for taking your time and clarifying this issue for us. That and for your swift action in canning the individual responsible.

7. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

CSB went bankrupt a couple of months ago, closed with no notice leaving 1000's of students without a diploma. Word has it the matchbook cover that the school used to advertise on is being substituted for a diploma. Close cover before striking.

8. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

[laugh] Does CSB stand for Conn School of Broadcasting? I remember back in the day their ads were all over the radio.

9. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

My email to Reeds Ferry that triggered their nasty reply was as follows:

And, I really was going to buy one of their sheds. I have been looking at mine for the last couple of years at all the rot and the door falling off its rotting hinges, plus it is full, and I had gone to their web site and seen their excellent sheds. They were #1 on my list to get my business, once I completed my roof replacement project first (it is kind of more important than a shed).

Just to prove it, here is my fall aparticle board shed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kiver

kiver

I'm deleting my post....

11. editor7

editor7

I have worked with Mr. Wightman in the past, and I can say that his response was perfectly in-line with his character. He had been fired from every radio station he worked at when I knew him. He would often berate others and make the most egregious comments to his colleagues, clearly within earshot of others. He seemed to be a small, insecure man, who tried to make up for it with his mouth. The earlier post listing his bio may not be as esteemed as it seems.

12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I never blamed Reeds Ferry for WTKK's actions, simply informing them that I would not do business with its advertisers as long as they advertise with them. This was about WTKK and Jay Severin, and I actually felt bad about having to involve the advertisers in this (since it is not their fault), so I was very polite.

The assholish response is the parts that call me a nutbag, liar etc. I am fine with them selling to anyone; I would too. I think I know when I say something whether it is true or not, so replying to me in a way that I know without any doubt is wrong, essentially calling me a liar, isn't a good way to make me want to do business with them.

I was also thinking of building a shed myself, now that is looking like a better option. It isn't that difficult. Or maybe this Post Woodworking place... thanks for people putting out the good word about that one, as I had not heard of them yet. My rotting shed is a Home Depot shed, 13 years old now but has been rotting for a number of years. So, I don't want a Home Depot shed.

13. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

[rofl]

Remember the South Park episode where the 4 children were playing that online World of Warcraft game, and that character came in with super high powers killing all the online players? When they showed the actual person behind the avatar, he was a disgusting slimy fat slob covered with acne. It was hilarious. Is that the visual you're going for?

14. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

I don't currently need a shed or any shed-related products but I'd like to join in the collective outrage.

15. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Wow... this thread got long. I finally caught up. Thanks Carle for replying; I am glad to learn that the person involved is not an employee of Reeds Ferry sheds. Although, I'll probably build it myself anyway now that all this happened.

As for Bill Wrightman, he is not worth our effort to go after his other customers with. (It might be deemed stalking too.) Let him get fired time after time as the people who are unfortunate enough to hire him learn what a dick he is.

16. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

He was in the perfect industry with many like him.

17. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Constructing syntax where the person reading it hears what they want to hear, even though that is not what is being said, is a work of art.

Note that "his e-mail services have been discontinued" does NOT necessarily mean "he is no longer on our payroll". I could simply mean "keep up with your work for us, but we can't use you as the point of contact to answer emails". He may or may not have been canned, but it is not possible to make any conclusion in that matter from the quotes post.

18. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

That bio was taken from the Connecticut School of Broadcasting website IIRC, and we all know that CSB, the Harvard of matchbook broadcasting schools would never
    post anything that wasn't true... just look at all the CSB graduates working behind the microphones of all the big stations in the country

19. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

He may not be able to cut the cord on ad buying so easily if he does in fact use Mr. Wightman. There may be contracts in place that aren't broken on a quick whim.

20. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

There was a case a while ago where the president of Cooper Rifles was forced out when it was revealed that he was a donating Obamite. Funny thing - the man whose name is on the company is "forced out" as president; people think it's a victory; and chances are pretty good he's still a major stockholder and calling the shots from a position with a slightly less visible title. My guess is the Wightman arrangement is similar. It would be very surprising if the owner of Reeds Ferry could interview the other ad execs in the business of managing advertising campaigns; make a selection; draft a contract and have it signed by both parties within a single day.

Mr. Charlton - if you are reading this could you please let us know if Mr. Wightman or his firm is still receiving any payments from Reeds Ferry sheds or entities beneficially controlled by Reeds Ferry?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  21. JRyan

JRyan

OK, fair enough.

22. gene

gene

Our gun club was voting to propose the purchase one of these at the plate range next month. Never heard of the company until it was mentioned then and now.
    Guess I will vote no at that meeting

23. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Any gun club probably has some carpenters who would be happy to volunteer their services, perhaps at cost of materials only. I know I would if I were a real carpenter... I'm not, so building my own will take me a few weeks, but that's OK, keeps me entertained and out of trouble while I'm doing so.

24. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

breaking news Boston Globe, snip of article on advertisers walking away from Jay/WTTK

" Reeds Ferry Sheds of Hudson, N.H., has long had Severin pitch the company’s products and was proud the talk show host had one in his backyard. Now, the company is not so sure it wants him as its spokesman.

“This definitely gives us pause,” said Tim Carleton, president and co-owner of Reeds Ferry Sheds. “When someone is suspended who endorses your product, it’s never good. He definitely made a mistake and made unacceptable comments."

Carleton said his "first and foremost concern" was that the company could be seen as bigoted for advertising with Severin. But Carleton also said Severin had been an effective spokesman before his suspension, and the company spent about 15 percent of its advertising budget at the station.

“From my standpoint, we’re just trying to sell sheds,” he said. “We’re trying to reach as many people as possible, and the controversy of his show is why he gets the amount of listeners he does.”

He described his company’s advertising plans with the station as “in a holding pattern.”

“If the situation is rectified correctly -- an apology and a retraction of his statement would be appropriate – I would consider advertising with him again,” Carleton said. “There’s no need for any racism, and we don’t want to offend a group of people. I am waiting to hear from the station about their plans.”"

25. JRyan

JRyan

Interesting.

26. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

So, Carleton would rather offend people who are actually in this country legally by requiring an apology from Severin. How sweet. I hope he can sell a chitload of sheds to his friends, the criminaliens. Maybe he'll sell them to the Consul of Mexico. I hope his new business plan pans out, cause he'll never see a dime from anyone I know.

27. MassHack

MassHack

I don't listen to WTTK or whatever talk station it is. I Wont be buying or recommending a Reeds Ferry Shed either. I almost pissed my pants reading the first response and thought they semmed like hot shits. After all the back peddling and tail between the legs they have shown, I just ordered a shed from nesheds and that is a fact. They should have stuck to what they thought was right and not tried to please everyone. BTW I don't think many Mexicans are buying sheds or fit the demo they are targeting.

28. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I don't listen to it for controversy (or even racism). I appreciate his very logical methodical analysis of issues, and his willingness to take a stand on issues because it makes the most sense regardless of what some official "republican" position on an issue may be. In the past, too many conservative talk show hosts have just been mouthpieces for the republican party. I like those that can think for themselves and don't try to justify cowardly, hypocritical gutless behavior of most republican politicians.

Next in line I'd probably go with Michael Savage... so it doesn't surprise me they'll be working hard now to shut him up. Being banned from the UK even though he never goes there is just the shot over the bow for him.

29. freedom2012

freedom2012

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
    As a businessman, I can see there is a bit of a conundrum. As an American, I am pissed that Carleton has asked him to apologize to lawbreakers. This is one of the true problems I face as a businessman. Sometimes I want to tell my customers they are needy, over-educated and under-experienced juveniles, but I hold back and yes them to death to keep the cash flowing. Then I go home and scream at all the liberals on tv and spout my mouth off on NES.

I give him credit for recognizing the value of advertising on WTKK because the listenership is there since Jay is provocative, but I cringe he has to ask for a retraction.

It's tough to live in such a PC society as a business owner/manager. I think deep down Carleton doesn't support the PC witch hunt.

Of course, if your Ronnie Barrett and lucky enough to have the luxury of telling a state with 36 Million people to f**K off, your balls are made of steel and your sperm bench press 350#.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  30. ItalianBostonian

ItalianBostonian

I heard Jay at the end of his show, doing a "live" commercial for some advertiser I have never heard on WTKK before. I haven't heard him since he got suspended, does this mean he is coming back? I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.