1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bill Wightman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Admin, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien NES Member

If anybody actually buys a shed from a competitor copies of the reciepts should be sent to show all the "imaginary" business he actually lost!

2. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Funny, I was thinking about Reeds Ferry Sheds yesterday, before I heard of the 96.9 thing.

Post Road sheds is an advertiser on WRKO, Reeds Ferry on WTTK.

Reeds Ferry is also in NH closer to me.

I am in the process of buying a 86 Monte Carlo SS. Since my wife won't let me evict the Porsche out of "her" side of the garage, I need to buy a quality shed that I can put the Harley and the Kawasaki into for year round weatherproof storage. This will make room for the SS.

If that truly is a letter from someone at Reeds Ferry Sheds, then I guess I am going to scratch them off my list of potential sources. I just looked at their website, and the shed I would have bought, and it is not an imaginary purchase was going to be just over 5 grand, and my mother mentioned she wanted a shed too now that I think about it. Toss another 4 grand into the dumpster.

Some of you know I am semi retired from the radio business. I do occasional work in the Boston Market. Programming, be it music, news, or talk, is the thing we put on the air to keep listeners glued to the radio until the next commercial plays. I don't know if any of you have sen the latest ratings for WTTK, especially in the afternoon, but let's just say they can't afford to be putting listeners in a position to tune to WRKO, or to the new Progressive radio format soon to be found on 1510 WWZN ( that was supposed to be on my station but Dial Media screwed us!) or to go to the "magic radio" as Howie wants to call it.

Sorry Reeds Ferry Inc, if that is how you feel about me as a potential customer, I'll take my money and buy elsewhere, or build it myself.

JCS, Pelham NH

3. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I say good for Reed's Ferry. They didn't like the email and said STFU.
    They stood their ground, not bowing to a threatening email.

Seriously, this is how we conduct ourselves? Their association with WTKK makes them guilty... well, shit I guess gun ownership associates me with the f***nuts that shoot up schools... let me pay the price for that. WTF

why not send an email to the WTKK, or a polite email to Reed's Ferry, saying that you will nolonger listen WTKK and you feel that their advertising dolloar would be better spent somewhere else.

I rather do business with someone that stands their ground, does bow to threats or needlessly apologizes to people that threaten
    them.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

There's a HUGE difference between bowing to a threatening email and being an a**h***.

You want to act like one fine, you deal with your actions.

5. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

It doesn't matter how close any of these companies are.

Post Woodworking is somewhere deep in NH. You can see their products all over the place. When I bought my last one, there was a Wellesley, Sudbury and Walpole (I think Natick too) location plus many others I'm sure. They setup demo units at these places, let them take the order and then Post drives down from NH with a flatbed with your unit on it.

No reason to believe that Reed's Ferry does it any differently.

6. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

OK I'm sitting here knowing I have heard the name Bill Wightman before from my travels in Radio. IIRC he did mornings on WXKS AM and maybe 104.9, I'm pretty sure he is a traffic reporter for Metro Traffic too. You might hear him on a few Boston stations doing traffic, but then again Metro laid off a bunch of people last fall.

But here is HIS agency:
    Bill currently owns North Shore Media, a boutique agency that manages radio, television and print advertising for a number of Boston-area businesses

7. Dick

Dick

Exactly. I don't care what Rob's original email said (and frankly I don't think it was particularly confrontational - you should see some of the public comments that we get in my business) - that first response from Wightman made me wonder if he's got some serious emotional issues, and the followup email erased any doubt. Reeds Ferry is entirely within their rights to have people like that representing their company, and the rest of us are entirely within our rights to take our business, actual or potential, elsewhere.

8. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I don't find anything assholish about his reponse, I found it rather funny.

Exactly, so why are we blaming Reed's Ferry for WTKK actions?

9. EddieCoyle

EddieCoyle Consigliere Moderator NES Member

Shit. I already bought one, and I've recommended them to friends and family that have also bought them. That's going to stop.

10. Baldkat82

Baldkat82

Regardless of the association that reeds has, I have to agree with derek. I felt that the letter was extremely rude and assholish. You can stand your ground while using tact and Bill failed to do that.

11. Admin

We're not blaming them for WTKKs actions, we are letting them know that they are losing business because they are advertising on a radio station that is over the top PC wise.

Then Bill decided to call everyone a right wing nut, the rest is history.

If you think the response was fine great, I think he was a dick and I am making it known.

12. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

That's in part where I was going with my statement to Derek that this makes even more and less sense at the same time.

13. MFP4073

MFP4073

[rofl][laugh2][rofl]

Oh my God what a visual... I bet he sniffs his finger when he's done too!

14. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

We are punishing them for WTKK actions, Our anger was misplaced. You need to ask the advertiser to help you sway WTKK stance, not threaten them. Threaten WTKK

Thats like me telling to White Oak or Brownells, I won't buy from them anymore, because you banned someone here....

15. Rob

Rob

Money talks. Money drives TKK's talk, and TKK's talk drives these businesses. Complain to everyone involved, either directly or indirectly. It can't hurt.

16. carle

carle

Response From Owner of Reeds Ferry Sheds

I own Reeds Ferry Sheds. This post is in response to an e-mail generated by our former e-mail marketing vendor. He has never worked directly for Reeds Ferry Sheds and his e-mail services have been discontinued. When a customer had requested info for my product he was responsible for sending out our company e-mail brochure. His comments were "unacceptable." As Mr. Severin feels angry that he was taken "out of context," I believe my company is being "bashed" unfairly for a statement made be someone who is not associated with us. Reeds Ferry Sheds is a strong supporter of Mr. Severin. But before we determine any further advertising investment with the station we are awaiting the final outcome of his status.

Tim Carleton
    Reeds Ferry Sheds
    888-85-SHEDS

1 person likes this.
  17. Ninsho

Ninsho

While the initial email might not have been necessary, or correct, that doesn't justify Mr. Wightman's response. One of the pains of running a business is turning the other cheek with customer complaints, and doing your best to respond to them in a constructive manner. Alienating people won't win them back, and unfortunately this seems to have cost them a lot of business. They could simply have said we appreciate your opinion, or not responded at all and have done a lot better.

If you emailed White Oak and said you weren't going to patronize them because of someone being banned here, I would hope and expect them to respond by saying that its not their prerogative to tell NES how to operate, and that they didn't have a say either way. They wouldn't respond by calling you a nutbag or wackjob.

18. Dick

Dick

Fair enough, and thank you for taking the time to respond personally. I think it's safe to say that the anger directed toward Reeds Ferry Sheds expressed here resulted from the reasonable assumption that the individual responding to inquiries addressed to your email address was in fact speaking for the company. Now that we know that not to be the case, and that you have taken the appropriate steps to rectify the problem, I'm sure that many will reconsider their position. Speaking only for myself, I'm prepared to start with a clean slate as far as Reeds Ferry is concerned. That won't be the case, however, for any other businesses that are in the unfortunate position of having Mr. Wightman represent them.

19. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Thanks for coming on NES and setting the record straight. So this guy wasn't even an ad buyer either??? Wow. You did right by dumping him. He was a loose cannon who had no compunction with lying either.

20. Admin

Good enough for me.

21. Ninsho

Ninsho

I agree, you've earned my respect to say the least.

22. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Good move renaming the thread.

23. CRSIII

CRSIII

Glad to here it. I told you these are some of the best people around!

24. MFP4073

MFP4073

Tim-

You made the right choice. He was making you look pretty bad with some of the arrogant things he said in his reply to a potential customer. I admire you for visiting to set the record straight. You have probably just picked up a whole bunch of new customers just by doing that!

On a lighter note...
    Even though you discontinuted his services, I still think that guy sniffs his finger! [laugh]

25. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I leave for an hour and someone goes and does something couragous and honorable.

What is this world coming to?!

Your position of "wait and see" is reasonable.

Thanks for speaking up. I'm sure there are lot of slowly cooling heads out here.

BTW, we are a lot friendlier crowd than you saw today. I hope you poke around the site and get to know us a little better.

26. lord1234

lord1234

Tim,
    I called and spoke with you this afternoon. Thanks for listening and taking the time to register and say hello. You've joined a good group of people.

27. K-DUB

K-DUB

Mr. Carleton, thank you for clarifying what happened. Mr. Wightman represented himself as part of your company, thus the outcry against Reeds Ferry Sheds.

I will consider your product when I'm ready for my new chicken coop/shed, if Jay is back on the air.

28. Twigg

Twigg NES Member

Sounds like Mr. Wightman got hisself Zumbo'd ! [laugh]

See what can happen with teamwork ? [wink]

29. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

Mr Carleton,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us directly. As has been stated by others, our outrage was aimed at the response from an individual who perported to represent your company. I, for one, am happy to find out that he usurped that authority and that the situation has since been corrected. You've earned my respect through your actions. Thank you.

30. Marcus in the Darkus

Marcus in the Darkus

It would be good to find some of Mr. Wightman's clients and send them a copy of this thread. If I owned Reed's I'd be seriously pissed at some moron who besmirched my reputation and I'd go out of my way to discuss this situation with his other clients. Well, unless I wanted his other clients to go our of business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.