Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
One of our members here sent this email to an advertiser on WTKK.

Hello,

I am writing to you as a consumer that was exposed to your business through your advertising on a local Boston radio station. The specific station was WTKK at frequency/FM 98.9. They have recently suspended an on air personality for voicing opinions that were focused and aligned with the audience base. Jay Severin was the primary reason I listened to the station and whenever possible utilized the companies that advertise on WTKK. Their suspension of this employee is certainly within their rights as an employer. The net result to your business is that as a continuing supporter of this station I shall never allow myself or any other family member to do business with your company again. There has to be a price paid for this continuing trend to obscene levels of political correctness and conformity. WTKK took the action of suspending this personality but your continuing association with them means your company is going to pay the price. They can apologize on air and return him to working status or you can immediately cease advertising with them but anything short of that will cost your company my business and every one I can speak to regarding your continued support of WTKK and their cowardly and shameful actions.

Sincerely

Robert Xxxx

Bill Wightman replies here.

Subject line: Nutbags and Whackjobs

Hi Charles and Robert
Reeds Ferry advertises on radio stations that have listeners. WTKK has listeners. We will stop when they no longer have listeners.

Some people want Jay Severin dead, others pray at his alter. We will sell a shed to either group. We don't care...

You both wrote that "you were just about to buy one our sheds until Jay blah, blah, blah"... It's remarkable; it seems when Jay listeners get angry about something they suddenly believe they were just about to buy a shed, even though they never were. It's an amazing phenomenon.

Everybody also writes that they are going to tell "all their friends" not to buy one of our sheds, but after reading the emails we are certain it's impossible that these people have many friends; we figure they are too busy writing annoying emails about meaningless radio programs to find time to bond.

In summary

We will sell a shed to a left-wing nutbag

We will sell a shed to a right-wing whack job

But to be honest, we prefer normal folk who don't send useless emails

You have our permission to buy your "imaginary shed" someplace else. That's a price we will gladly pay.
So please post in here if you plan on buying your shed else where so maybe Mr. Wightman will think twice before he opens his liberal pie hole.

Here is my email to Reeds.

Bill Wightman was mistaken when he said

" Everybody also writes that they are going to tell "all their friends" not to buy one of our sheds, but after reading the emails we are certain it's impossible that these people have many friends; we figure they are too busy writing annoying emails about meaningless radio programs to find time to bond."

Here's the 13 page thread on my forum.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64757

He may not have many friends, but I have over 160,000 unique visitors per month.
The post by the owner of Reeds.

I own Reeds Ferry Sheds. This post is in response to an e-mail generated by our former e-mail marketing vendor. He has never worked directly for Reeds Ferry Sheds and his e-mail services have been discontinued. When a customer had requested info for my product he was responsible for sending out our company e-mail brochure. His comments were "unacceptable." As Mr. Severin feels angry that he was taken "out of context," I believe my company is being "bashed" unfairly for a statement made be someone who is not associated with us. Reeds Ferry Sheds is a strong supporter of Mr. Severin. But before we determine any further advertising investment with the station we are awaiting the final outcome of his status.

Tim Carleton
Reeds Ferry Sheds
888-85-SHEDS

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I need a new shed this summer to turn into a chicken coop, but now I'm thinking of going somewhere other than Reeds. Maybe Post.

Or, maybe I'll just build the darned thing myself. That way I'll feel comfortable knowing that an ignorant jackass that likes to insult people with whom he doesn't agree, didn't build it. [smile]

Last edited:

Bob P

NES Member
Rating - 96.8%
30   1   0
If that's an example of the kind of response to a customer they demonstrate I'll never buy a shed from them. We're actually planning on putting one in next summer (doing the roof this year so no shed) as our basement is jammed full. I won't say I was going to buy it from them, but they were on our list to check out - and only because I had heard their ad on WTTK - otherwise I would never have heard of them. They're off my list now - but I guess this Wightman character doesn't care anyways because I'm just an imiganiary customer and not real. [rolleyes]

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put together a Home Depot shed in my backyard several years ago, and "got what I paid for". This July, we're having our driveway extended. My neighbor offered to give me a few bucks for my shed and move it himself. This was great for me, since my wife wants something "prettier" and I need something more user friendly.

When I choose businesses to patronize, it's typically influenced by the advertising I hear. This isn't because I'm a "loyal Severin follower" who patronizes all his advertisers. It's because when I go to shop, the businesses I hear advertised are foremost in my mind. Therefore, advertising on a program I like isn't going to earn me your business, but it will get you a shot at earning my business.

The flip side of this is I REFUSE to do business with a company with the attitude displayed in Mr. Wightman's response. I understand his meaning, that Reed's Ferry will advertise where they reach consumers. I don't understand his insulting, demeaning attitude though.

Would I have purchased a shed from his company? Maybe. One thing is certain, though. I won't even entertain the notion now, and I'll be sure to tell my friends why. Despite his obvious belief, yes, I do have friends. I also speak with hundreds of local people each week professionally.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great response, that guy should be ashammed of himself. With the warm weather and the lack of staorage at my house I REALLY WAS going to buy a shed this weekend. Guess where I am not going, I listen to WTKK and am sure Reed's would have been on my list.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As a business professional who relies on having a good reputation, I was shocked at the insulting tone of that email. While I can appreciate the capitalism of selling to anybody, I'm shocked at how insulting he was to a potential customer.

I hope that an anti Reed Ferry gets momentum on NES.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not in the market right now for shed, but eventually I will have to buy or build one.

What kind of customer service could I expect from a company that would respond to a consumer in that way? My God!

When I eventually do buy a shed they will NOT be on the short list.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need a new shed this summer to turn into a chicken coop, but now I'm thinking of going somewhere other than Reeds. Maybe Post.

Or, maybe I'll just build the darned thing myself. That way I'll feel comfortable knowing that an ignorant jackass that likes to insult people with whom he doesn't agree, didn't build it. [smile]
K-DUB,

I had this company http://www.neshed.com/ come and build a shed at my house last spring. I am very happy with it. Solid construction with full dimension lumber and the price was good. They came in the morning and the shed was done by the time I got home from work. Check it out. It may be a good option for you.

ETA: Not to mention they were very friendly and not the least bit insulting or condesending. [wink]

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, as a homeowner with two cars, three motorcycles, and only 2 garage bays, its only a matter of time before my need for a substantial shed is something I can no longer avoid.

Now I know where I WILL NOT be buying one from. This attitude from this guy at Reeds Ferry SUCKS.

Rating - 96.4%
26   1   1
I was going to need a shed shortly after december. Guess what Reeds Ferry? I'm not buying it from you. I sent you an email and told you that I won't because of WTKK's decision, but now its because you are terrible businessmen. Don't EVER forget this lesson. 1 negative word on the internet is equal to 1000 negative words elsewhere. In this case, it's equal to 160000 negative words per month.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anyone who isn't a customer now doesn't mean they won't be someday. There is a fairly good chance that some huge percentage of the members here (or people anywhere) will need a new shed for one reason or another. Dissing someone now is never a good idea for business.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I purchased a home a few years ago and the previous owner put up a DIY home depot metal shed. I hate this thing with all of my heart and soul and can't wait to tear it down. I'm currently receiving quotes on many landscaping features at my house and a new shed is on the list. Reeds Ferry WAS on my list of contacts due to the Jay Severin Show. I will now be sending my business elsewhere, even if Jay is brought back.

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was going to get a shed this summer. I have no idea where I will buy it, but I know it won't be from Reeds Ferry.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
That was a very unprofessional response from a business to a customer complaint, and a classic example of how to throw gasoline on a fire.

The "imaginary shed" line was kind of funny though.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
K-DUB,

I had this company http://www.neshed.com/ come and build a shed at my house last spring. I am very happy with it. Solid construction with full dimension lumber and the price was good. They came in the morning and the shed was done by the time I got home from work. Check it out. It may be a good option for you.

ETA: Not to mention they were very friendly and not the least bit insulting or condesending. [wink]

Thank you Whitey.

If I don't decide to build it myself, I'll give them a try. I probably should leave this to the pros...I'm a notoriously horrible carpenter.

[grin]-Ana

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That was a very unprofessional response from a business to a customer complaint, and a classic example of how to throw gasoline on a fire.

The "imaginary shed" line was kind of funny though.
I thought the email was pretty funny, just not something you'd send to an actual customer.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hope this isn't the same Reeds Ferry Lumber in Merrimack. They had bent over backwards to help me with something in December they didn't need to. Since then, I check them before going to Lowes or Home Depot, I like supporting local businesses. I also recommended them to people since December.

If so, I am going to be very disappointed. [sad2]

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
WOW.

As a marketing Professional with nearly 17 years in the business I'm stunned. Talk about a liability...I simply can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to put that in "writing" and disseminate it on the web. I will say this though, every time I grow concerned about the market and my ability to stay fully booked, I'm just going to remind myself that morons like this are still loosing their jobs every day and thus my pipeline for incoming clients should remain filled as long a ass-clowns like this draw breath.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have to agree with the other poster in the "Jay Severin Suspended" thread. The capitalism he flaunts "like we'll(Reeds) sell to a left wing nut bag or a right wing nut bag" is where most businessess lean . Its all about quality and price .........JMO. Jay should be able to say what he believes because its definitaly the unfettered truth and his 1st ammendment right but, atlas his employer" BigBusiness " makes he last call. Party like its 1773!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
K-DUB,

For those looking for an another alternative to Reeds Ferry, I bought my shed from http://millstores.com/ for $0 down for 0% interest for 12 months. Pay in full at the end and this is free money for a year.

I had a similar experience as Whitey627. Also, they customized the shed doors, flooring, size and roof to my specs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I boycotted every company that said/did something I didn't agree with or, advertised on MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC or radio then I probably wouldn't buy anything.

I'd give Reeds Ferry my business just for having the balls for telling whomever that was to STFU.

[pot]

Rating - 93.3%
14   1   0
He sure sounds like an genuine asshat to me. I am a strong believer in boycotting companies and I do not, and will not ever go to a business that treats their customers like this. It has been six years since my last Dominos pizza.

I will be sure to write to any radio station and forward them the email that this guy wrote.

What he doesn’t understand is that pro gun individuals are perfectly happy writing letters when you piss them off and we do not give up EVER.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the economy the way it is, most businesses try to go the extra distance to be courteous to potential customers. Not Reeds Ferry. They must be doing a booming business to be that flippant and condescending. They won't get a dime of my money.

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If I boycotted every company that said/did something I didn't agree with or, advertised on MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC or radio then I probably wouldn't buy anything.
Great idea! I tend to not buy from mainstream places...so I tend to boycott places I hear/see a lot of advertisement from. If a company doesn't have a set of happy customers to give personal recommendations, why should I pay them to advertise to me?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
He may not have many friends, but I have over 160,000 unique visitors per month
Hmmm...

160,000 unique visitors. Derek's a bright guy, that probably already excludes spiders and automated hits. The site is New England centric so the vast majority of the visitors are likely to be from this area. Say 80% or 128,000 (Derek, do you have geographics?).

Now, of the 128,000, probably many are looking for something specific and wander away, so let's throw away another 20% leaving 102,400.

Now keep in mind that a lot of us own very expensive hardware. I'd guess on average somewhere around $15k (judging from the "cool rides" thread (Lamborghinis for God's sake!), some quite a lot more than that. People just don't HAVE that kind of money invested in a hobby if they don't have quite a lot more in assets.

For fun, lets knock that figure down to 50,000 visitors having significant resources (i.e. homeowners, expensive toys, etc.).

Of those 50,000 visitors, let's get rid of the 33% to the left because they might identify with the nitwits that dumped Jay. That leaves us with around 33,000 monthly visitors to this site, all of which are moderate to conservative, earning enough to maintain an expensive hobby and having a willingness to spend it on the "better" things, and not buy the $99 Walmart 8x8 aluminum shed (assuming the have one).

Out of 33,000 qualified potential buyers, might not 1 in 100 be considering a shed in the next few months?

Reed Ferry sheds seem to range from $1300 to $6000 or so.

330 x $2,000 = $660,000.

That's a whole lot of business to potentially be throwing away, even if they could only expect to win a fraction of it.

Way to go, Bill. I hope you're one of the owners or you just might be looking for work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom