1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bill Wightman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Admin, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

One of our members here sent this email to an advertiser on WTKK.

Bill Wightman replies here.

So please post in here if you plan on buying your shed else where so maybe Mr. Wightman will think twice before he opens his liberal pie hole.

Here is my email to Reeds.

The post by the owner of Reeds.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
    2 people like this.

2. K-DUB

K-DUB

I need a new shed this summer to turn into a chicken coop, but now I'm thinking of going somewhere other than Reeds. Maybe Post.

Or, maybe I'll just build the darned thing myself. That way I'll feel comfortable knowing that an ignorant jackass that likes to insult people with whom he doesn't agree, didn't build it. [smile]

3. Big_Red

Big_Red

Now I am really glad I bought my shed from Home Depot. [grin]

4. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

If that's an example of the kind of response to a customer they demonstrate I'll never buy a shed from them. We're actually planning on putting one in next summer (doing the roof this year so no shed) as our basement is jammed full. I won't say I was going to buy it from them, but they were on our list to check out - and only because I had heard their ad on WTTK - otherwise I would never have heard of them. They're off my list now - but I guess this Wightman character doesn't care anyways because I'm just an imiganiary customer and not real. [rolleyes]

5. Martlet

Martlet

I put together a Home Depot shed in my backyard several years ago, and "got what I paid for". This July, we're having our driveway extended. My neighbor offered to give me a few bucks for my shed and move it himself. This was great for me, since my wife wants something "prettier" and I need something more user friendly.

When I choose businesses to patronize, it's typically influenced by the advertising I hear. This isn't because I'm a "loyal Severin follower" who patronizes all his advertisers. It's because when I go to shop, the businesses I hear advertised are foremost in my mind. Therefore, advertising on a program I like isn't going to earn me your business, but it will get you a shot at earning my business.

The flip side of this is I REFUSE to do business with a company with the attitude displayed in Mr. Wightman's response. I understand his meaning, that Reed's Ferry will advertise where they reach consumers. I don't understand his insulting, demeaning attitude though.

Would I have purchased a shed from his company? Maybe. One thing is certain, though. I won't even entertain the notion now, and I'll be sure to tell my friends why. Despite his obvious belief, yes, I do have friends. I also speak with hundreds of local people each week professionally.

6. Twigg

Twigg NES Member

Arrogance and ignorance is a heckofaway to gain business.

Business must be great over there.

Won't be for long.

7. hunter46spring

hunter46spring

Great response, that guy should be ashammed of himself. With the warm weather and the lack of staorage at my house I REALLY WAS going to buy a shed this weekend. Guess where I am not going, I listen to WTKK and am sure Reed's would have been on my list.

8. BCEagleAce

BCEagleAce

As a business professional who relies on having a good reputation, I was shocked at the insulting tone of that email. While I can appreciate the capitalism of selling to anybody, I'm shocked at how insulting he was to a potential customer.

I hope that an anti Reed Ferry gets momentum on NES.

9. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

I'm planning on buying a house in the fall and imagine I'll be needing a shed shortly after. Now I know where NOT to buy it.

10. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I'm not in the market right now for shed, but eventually I will have to buy or build one.

What kind of customer service could I expect from a company that would respond to a consumer in that way? My God!

When I eventually do buy a shed they will NOT be on the short list.

11. MFP4073

MFP4073

K-DUB,

I had this company http://www.neshed.com/ come and build a shed at my house last spring. I am very happy with it. Solid construction with full dimension lumber and the price was good. They came in the morning and the shed was done by the time I got home from work. Check it out. It may be a good option for you.

ETA: Not to mention they were very friendly and not the least bit insulting or condesending. [wink]

12. zzrider

zzrider

Well, as a homeowner with two cars, three motorcycles, and only 2 garage bays, its only a matter of time before my need for a substantial shed is something I can no longer avoid.

Now I know where I WILL NOT be buying one from. This attitude from this guy at Reeds Ferry SUCKS.

13. lord1234

lord1234

I was going to need a shed shortly after december. Guess what Reeds Ferry? I'm not buying it from you. I sent you an email and told you that I won't because of WTKK's decision, but now its because you are terrible businessmen. Don't EVER forget this lesson. 1 negative word on the internet is equal to 1000 negative words elsewhere. In this case, it's equal to 160000 negative words per month.

14. Ninsho

Ninsho

Anyone who isn't a customer now doesn't mean they won't be someday. There is a fairly good chance that some huge percentage of the members here (or people anywhere) will need a new shed for one reason or another. Dissing someone now is never a good idea for business.

15. bdutton

bdutton

LOL. pwnd.

16. Stratocaster1422

Stratocaster1422

I purchased a home a few years ago and the previous owner put up a DIY home depot metal shed. I hate this thing with all of my heart and soul and can't wait to tear it down. I'm currently receiving quotes on many landscaping features at my house and a new shed is on the list. Reeds Ferry WAS on my list of contacts due to the Jay Severin Show. I will now be sending my business elsewhere, even if Jay is brought back.

17. doobie

doobie Banned

I was going to get a shed this summer. I have no idea where I will buy it, but I know it won't be from Reeds Ferry.

18. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

That was a very unprofessional response from a business to a customer complaint, and a classic example of how to throw gasoline on a fire.

The "imaginary shed" line was kind of funny though.

19. K-DUB

K-DUB

Thank you Whitey.

If I don't decide to build it myself, I'll give them a try. I probably should leave this to the pros...I'm a notoriously horrible carpenter.

[grin]-Ana

20. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

I thought the email was pretty funny, just not something you'd send to an actual customer.

21. Navy Moose

Navy Moose

I hope this isn't the same Reeds Ferry Lumber in Merrimack. They had bent over backwards to help me with something in December they didn't need to. Since then, I check them before going to Lowes or Home Depot, I like supporting local businesses. I also recommended them to people since December.

If so, I am going to be very disappointed. [sad2]

22. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

WOW.

As a marketing Professional with nearly 17 years in the business I'm stunned. Talk about a liability...I simply can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to put that in "writing" and disseminate it on the web. I will say this though, every time I grow concerned about the market and my ability to stay fully booked, I'm just going to remind myself that morons like this are still loosing their jobs every day and thus my pipeline for incoming clients should remain filled as long a ass-clowns like this draw breath.

23. bolt

bolt

I have to agree with the other poster in the "Jay Severin Suspended" thread. The capitalism he flaunts "like we'll(Reeds) sell to a left wing nut bag or a right wing nut bag" is where most businessess lean . Its all about quality and price .........JMO. Jay should be able to say what he believes because its definitaly the unfettered truth and his 1st ammendment right but, atlas his employer" BigBusiness " makes he last call. Party like its 1773!

24. pgozew

pgozew

25. freedom2012

freedom2012

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
    For those looking for an another alternative to Reeds Ferry, I bought my shed from http://millstores.com/ for $0 down for 0% interest for 12 months. Pay in full at the end and this is free money for a year.

I had a similar experience as Whitey627. Also, they customized the shed doors, flooring, size and roof to my specs.

26. vicpinto

vicpinto

If I boycotted every company that said/did something I didn't agree with or, advertised on MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC or radio then I probably wouldn't buy anything.

I'd give Reeds Ferry my business just for having the balls for telling whomever that was to STFU.

[pot]

27. Ham Slam

Ham Slam

He sure sounds like an genuine asshat to me. I am a strong believer in boycotting companies and I do not, and will not ever go to a business that treats their customers like this. It has been six years since my last Dominos pizza.

I will be sure to write to any radio station and forward them the email that this guy wrote.

What he doesn’t understand is that pro gun individuals are perfectly happy writing letters when you piss them off and we do not give up EVER.

28. Mini Glock

Mini Glock

With the economy the way it is, most businesses try to go the extra distance to be courteous to potential customers. Not Reeds Ferry. They must be doing a booming business to be that flippant and condescending. They won't get a dime of my money.

29. doobie

doobie Banned

Great idea! I tend to not buy from mainstream places...so I tend to boycott places I hear/see a lot of advertisement from. If a company doesn't have a set of happy customers to give personal recommendations, why should I pay them to advertise to me?

30. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Hmmm...

160,000 unique visitors. Derek's a bright guy, that probably already excludes spiders and automated hits. The site is New England centric so the vast majority of the visitors are likely to be from this area. Say 80% or 128,000 (Derek, do you have geographics?).

Now, of the 128,000, probably many are looking for something specific and wander away, so let's throw away another 20% leaving 102,400.

Now keep in mind that a lot of us own very expensive hardware. I'd guess on average somewhere around $15k (judging from the "cool rides" thread (Lamborghinis for God's sake!), some quite a lot more than that. People just don't HAVE that kind of money invested in a hobby if they don't have quite a lot more in assets.

For fun, lets knock that figure down to 50,000 visitors having significant resources (i.e. homeowners, expensive toys, etc.).

Of those 50,000 visitors, let's get rid of the 33% to the left because they might identify with the nitwits that dumped Jay. That leaves us with around 33,000 monthly visitors to this site, all of which are moderate to conservative, earning enough to maintain an expensive hobby and having a willingness to spend it on the "better" things, and not buy the $99 Walmart 8x8 aluminum shed (assuming the have one).

Out of 33,000 qualified potential buyers, might not 1 in 100 be considering a shed in the next few months?

Reed Ferry sheds seem to range from $1300 to $6000 or so.

330 x $2,000 = $660,000.

That's a whole lot of business to potentially be throwing away, even if they could only expect to win a fraction of it.

Way to go, Bill. I hope you're one of the owners or you just might be looking for work!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.