• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill to Revise LEOSA S1132

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Senate Bill 1132 was filed by Sen Pat Leahy (VT) and co-sponsored by Sen Jon Kyl (AZ) to revise LEOSA.

From a brief look-see:

- It would reduce the number of years of service to 10,
- It would extend LEOSA to officers separated from LE (retirement not required),
- Probably more but I didn't check it against the current law.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.1132.IS:

It has been assigned to the Judiciary Committee (on 5/21/2009).

While I like the law, it should stick to retired LEO's not LEO's seperated from service.

I don't like that it takes the former agency to 'qual' you to be within reg. My agency has no policy in regards qualing retired members. It's an easy way for anti's to stop the intended meaning of the law from happening.

There are a lot of guys who screw up bad, but quit before they can be fired or in lieu of charges being pressed.

Unless I misread it? Which is entirely possible since it's written in third tier legalese filtered by washington jibberjabber.

Last edited:
There is NO requirement that the retiring dept issue an ID. Thus if they were a screwup OR if the chief didn't like them . . . they get no ID and no LEOSA for them!!

IIRC, in the original LEOSA, they had to be separated (retired) for non-disciplinary reasons.

I don't know if the pension requirement is still there or not as some text is removed from LEOSA in this Bill and I haven't checked. LOTS of small-town departments in various parts of the Country dropped pensions to survive (I recall reading about that) or are part-time departments with no pension . . . they were DQ'd from LEOSA as it was written originally.

I really wish The Coast Guard would give it's members that are actually certified, credentials other than their ID. Not all Coast Guardsmen are Maritime Law Enforcement Officers. It would really be nice for us to be able to carry without having to worry about MA CCW laws. I would have to disagree with you guys on LEOSA not applying to those that have separated. I don't see how someone's leaving service could prevent charges from being filed against them If they committed a felony . I am a firm believer in 2A. If every state would apply it Like VT their would be no need for wasting our tax dollars on things like LEOSA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom