• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill to make the AR-15 the National Gun of America

Hell, I'd put the Winchester ahead of the AR too, honestly, for most of the same reasons. People really do care about their ARs, but they're in some ways just the flavor of the month. A 20-year RKBA heyday isn't really the longevity that I'd be looking for if I was looking for something to call the "national gun."

Flavor of two decades, by your admission. I see what you mean though. They're they new kid on the block compared with something like a Garand or a SAA. How about ownership rate per capita at a given point in history though? Surely that must count for something in the debate. Anyone know what the most popularly owned firearm per capita in the US ever is? Was the SAA more popular in its time than that Garand or the AR15? Not that this is the be all end all of the discussion. But I think its important. I'm too lazy to look that info up right now. And probably wouldn't know how to even if I had the motivation.

I have a couple vietnam vets I have coffee with who would disagree with you. Probably a bunch of soccer mom Karen's in Moms Demand Action though too.
It's a crap shoot followed by a shit show.

I thought they used M-16s in Vietnam. I never knew the military used ARs.

Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. A .22 is the American gun. Hands down.

[...]
All the horror storries I seem to hear about the M16 is because the US Army Procurement department strayed from stoners design
There's so much truth here.

With all due credit to Sullivan, too, Stoner was brilliant - probably a better engineer than Browning, even if JMB was the more prolific inventor. Even though we're moving on from the AR, the SPEAR, SCAR, and MCX are each basically just evolutions of their work.

But, when we think about what "Americans" want when buying a firearm, we're more likely to get weak knees over a 12GA pump, a .30-30 lever, or a Rem 700 in either .308 or .30-06. They're total Fudd guns, but they're also our traditional image of rugged individualism.

Or, screw it. How about the Ma Deuce? What's more 'merican than 50 BMG at 450+ Hz?

There's so much truth here.

With all due credit to Sullivan, too, Stoner was brilliant - probably a better engineer than Browning, even if JMB was the more prolific inventor. Even though we're moving on from the AR, the SPEAR, SCAR, and MCX are each basically just evolutions of their work.

But, when we think about what "Americans" want when buying a firearm, we're more likely to get weak knees over a 12GA pump, a .30-30 lever, or a Rem 700 in either .308 or .30-06. They're total Fudd guns, but they're also our traditional image of rugged individualism.

Or, screw it. How about the Ma Deuce? What's more 'merican than 50 BMG at 450+ Hz?
Yup

Growing up , before talking about guns and what you shooting come sunday became taboo
The most common guns on the range by average standards
A mauser of some variety and cal
30-30 or 35 rem lever action
38/357 revolver
Target 22s rifles
Stevens/savage/sears branded shotguns
Rich people had the semi auto shotguns.
As young adult it was
Rem 700 , win 70s , 870 , 500
10/22 and 1st gen semi auto pistols
With ocasional old timer with M1 M1 carbines and still assorted mausers
Now at 50 its
10/22s , high end 22lr bolt guns , a slew of semi pistols , random shotguns < seems to be a decline other than clay sports.
And ocasionally 50 year olds and older like me sporting the 75 plus year old mil surps.
AR variants

I do remember a surge in SAA type clones surging in the mid 80s and the shit ton of inexpensive black powder pistol kits around.

These anti-gun nuts have worked themselves into a lather, thinking anyone with an AR-15 is a Rambo just waiting for the chance to get all tactical ops. Sick people…

“…every place that humans inhabit — housing developments, apartment complexes, stores, strip malls, hotels, churches, hospitals and, yes, schools — is another opportunity to imagine oneself taking part in military-style maneuvers. Where would you go for cover if you were here? How would you hold this position? What weapons and gear would you use?”

D21A830C-1472-4195-AE17-E8E1AC176249.jpeg

“…every place that humans inhabit — housing developments, apartment complexes, stores, strip malls, hotels, churches, hospitals and, yes, schools — is another opportunity to imagine oneself taking part in military-style maneuvers. Where would you go for cover if you were here? How would you hold this position? What weapons and gear would you use?”
It is almost as if whoever wrote that spent 5 minutes reading NES.

These anti-gun nuts have worked themselves into a lather, thinking anyone with an AR-15 is a Rambo just waiting for the chance to get all tactical ops. Sick people…

Not sure what this says about me but I thought this was a compliment at first…

View attachment 739451
I do that all the time, but I don’t own an AR.

Reporter:

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Back
Top Bottom