• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill to make the AR-15 the National Gun of America

Well... maybe. But...

Most of the reason I don't like the AR is BECAUSE of the experiences I had with it in the military, lol. As soon as I got out and was no longer forced to have one, I grabbed stuff I actually wanted.

Sure. Not everyone's like me. But many probably are.

Also, @tuna makes a good point above: the numbers ain't everything. Lots of shooters have zero ARs, but lots of AR fans have a half-dozen of the damn things.

Thats a good point. There have been periods where reliability was in question, effectiveness was in question, etc. And some still question those. I think generally it has been well-recieved as for the most recent generations that have taken the platform to an area of conflict.

No.

We don't need a "national gun." #AllGunsMatter.

Besides, if we did have one, it should obviously be the Colt SAA.
Exactly.

A single action revolver, a lever action and a SXS shotgun.

The AR15 is just a rifle people like to pour money into but is not associated with any important historical events. An M1 is more of an American gun than an AR.

Well... maybe. But...

Most of the reason I don't like the AR is BECAUSE of the experiences I had with it in the military, lol. As soon as I got out and was no longer forced to have one, I grabbed stuff I actually wanted.

Sure. Not everyone's like me. But many probably are.

Also, @tuna makes a good point above: the numbers ain't everything. Lots of shooters have zero ARs, but lots of AR fans have a half-dozen of the damn things.
Well that’s because an AR’s get all lonely by itself. They need some if their kind to be happy. At least 3.

I'll grant, it's modularity and adaptability are eminently American. If the fact that the AR has split receivers actually results in breaking the federal definition of a firearm, then it will earn the title... "this is the rifle that defeated gun control."

Until then? It's a fine, utilitarian rifle.

But it didn't "win The West." It isn't what "made [men] equal." It isn't "the finest battle implement[...]" nor is it back to back world war champion. Heck, it wasn't even accused of war crimes.

Bill to make the AR-15 the National Gun of America
Don't the representatives have anything better to do than add an inanimate object with some sort of emblematic status to the list of national symbols?

How about they pass a bill that declares any tax on arms and ammunition as unconstitutional?

The National Gun should be one built from home. You can build AR's, AK's, 1911's, anything your mind can dream, to protect you and your loved ones. While coming a little too close to the hammer and sickle strictly in terms of aesthetic, the official gun of the US should be a file and calipers. Going back to the handmade firearms that allowed this great nation to form to begin with.

Exactly.

A single action revolver, a lever action and a SXS shotgun.

The AR15 is just a rifle people like to pour money into but is not associated with any important historical events. An M1 is more of an American gun than an AR.

I have a couple vietnam vets I have coffee with who would disagree with you. Probably a bunch of soccer mom Karen's in Moms Demand Action though too.
It's a crap shoot followed by a shit show.

I'm trying to be clearheaded about it.

No other firearm America has produced is as historically significant, or iconic, as the SAA. The AR is top five, definitely. And I say that as someone who dislikes ARs.
M1 Garand

The only milsurp i cannot hate.

I have a couple vietnam vets I have coffee with who would disagree with you. Probably a bunch of soccer mom Karen's in Moms Demand Action though too.
It's a crap shoot followed by a shit show.
That is fine, they can disagree. But they would be wrong.

M1 Garand

I picked a non-milsurp for a reason.

I tend to think that although we produce great battle implements (usually), including the Garand, the essence of American gunnery isn't good military weapons. It's the protection of the civilian's right to keep and bear arms that makes us special, and it was the Colt that fulfilled that promise using modern factory methods.

Hell, I'd put the Winchester ahead of the AR too, honestly, for most of the same reasons. People really do care about their ARs, but they're in some ways just the flavor of the month. A 20-year RKBA heyday isn't really the longevity that I'd be looking for if I was looking for something to call the "national gun."

M1 Garand

Thompson? Grease Gun? Springfield 1903? Post Civil War lever action carbines/repeaters? Stepping outside of US and just talking in general about milsurp - FG-42 and STG-44? Kar98? MP40? PPsH? Mosin?
Not for nothing, but Mosin Nagant gets "Every war since WW1." as opposed to the 1911's measly 2 world wars. Shit, I saw a Ukrainian with one AND with the original 91/30 PU 3.5x scope.

edit: Probably got it off a dead russian
FOW0MXgXIAAeIFP.png

M1 Garand

My dad had a friend Korean war vet and Vietnam Vet
I remember some one bring up he went through 3 issued rifle changes
He basically said
M1 vs M14 a solution to a non problem. Both gun and ammo still heavy as f***. M16 god send on weight, i was getting tired by the time I got a M16 in my hands.
Then he laughs and says , in the reserves I had a 1903a3 loved that rifle.
My dad was in the air force. He said he qualified on the M16a1 on a reduced yardage range and said the actual score to pass was quite low?
All the horror storries I seem to hear about the M16 is because the US Army Procurement department strayed from stoners design

Thompson? Grease Gun? Springfield 1903? Post Civil War lever action carbines/repeaters? Stepping outside of US and just talking in general about milsurp - FG-42 and STG-44? Kar98? MP40? PPsH? Mosin?
Not for nothing, but Mosin Nagant gets "Every war since WW1." as opposed to the 1911's measly 2 world wars. Shit, I saw a Ukrainian with one AND with the original 91/30 PU 3.5x scope.

Meh. That's stuff for others to buy not me. And i like shooting all of them...... When someone else owns them. 🤣 Although if I was stupid rich id probably have a real mp40 FA clone. And an stg44 that somehow fired 762 x39. 🤣

edit: Probably got it off a dead russian
FOW0MXgXIAAeIFP.png
Nah im sure ukraine has bunkers of this shit to.

Back
Top Bottom