• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bill restricts use of deadly force in N.H.

John Randall. Too often we allow lawmakers to infringe on rights. Senate needs to vote people's will. 135 does not pass common sense test. Right to defend self and family trumps other people's lives who would harm. Right to defend not include retreat unless that person wishes to, not because law says so.

Liz McConnell . Support135. Just heard about hearing after daughters tennis lesson cancelled. She is concerned about talks of guns. More people who carry guns, bad for us. Upset with ayotte. Says" Stand your ground and people not having background checks" is pretty much terrifying

- - - Updated - - -

Missed guy name. Bill is attempt to legislate power . Do we consider ourselves morally superior than framers. Bill is back door attempt to override juries.

Liz McConnell . Support135. Just heard about hearing after daughters tennis lesson cancelled. She is concerned about talks of guns. More people who carry guns, bad for us. Upset with ayotte. Says" Stand your ground and people not having background checks" is pretty much terrifying
[rolleyes]

Baldasaro up on 388. Passed overwhelmingly in house. Talking about Danville case. Hopes this would protect people like him from liability. People should not be liable if weapons stolen.

I prefer "tactical withdrawal".

It can also apply to measures taken during and after a one night stand.
Jeez, I hope that doesn't include chewing off your own arm to get outta there without waking someone. (I believe that's the origin of the term "coyote ugly.")
back2topic.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Senator asking question doesn't bill have too much of a broad stroke. If someone leaves gun out should they be immune? She doesn't think so.
Huh? WTF is she babbling about?

Jen coffee SAS. . Gun only property, that if stolen you can be victimized 2x. If someone steals car , and runs over someone while robbing a bank they would not be charge. Gun should be same way. Recent case, gun owner was robbed then victim of person who robbed them sued gun owner.

Same senator has issue, feels too broad.

Joseph Hannon , saying law not cover if you negligently store it, like unlocked on a car seat. This is not blanket immunity. Not covers if negligently stored and used by a kid. This is to protect victims of theft. "Only protect a victim not someone who is stupid. " stolen firearms not likely to be reported if someone thinks they will be in trouble. We don't want that.

The person talking about HB388 making broad strokes is right - that's what it does. That is the point. The law today already says people aren't liable for subsequent harm with an item if that item is stolen. The Secord case was based on some general theory that either the gun was not really stolen or it was left where any reasonable person would know the grandson would get it (i.e., it was based on a particular alleged set of facts, and since facts are for juries to determine, it went to trial). General negligence law already says that one can't be liable for harms resulting from the criminal acts of another (with a bunch of complex exceptions, some of which were alleged in the Secord case).

The courts in Secord's case ultimately found no liability could attach, making HB388 essentially redundant to that case. Except that it was an incredibly expensive test of broadly alleged facts that the Secords had to pay for.

HB388 would make it almost impossible to bring that sort of case in the first place, by stomping out all the exceptions in one broad stroke. It might turn out to be overbroad given some wild set of facts, but mostly we have seen this sort of liability used politically and/or where any sane person would think liability should be cut off. So it may be overbroad but since no one opposed is offering a more modest version, this is how it's gonna be. And given past abuses, we should be fine with that. Since no one offered a more reasonable version, then I guess we deal with any theoretical problems after they arise.

"If HB388 had been law at the time, Secord would not have had to deal with the lawsuit in the first place" (PGNH) is the heart of it -- anyone can be sued under a plausible set of facts if a legal theory fits that set of facts. The vague set of facts alleged to sue Secord (essentially that the "theft" was not really a theft or that grampa "should have known") would not have been able to be tested if HB388 were law at the time. The outcome - no liability - would be the same, but with a lot less expense and personal hell for the Secord family.

Penny dean. This regarding civil acts. Not criminal acts. This bill needed. Average person can't afford these things. Homeowners policies don't generally cover anything firearm to protect homeowners.
Deep pocket theory. Criminal s tend to not have as deep of pockets of people they steal from. Law will not completely protect people but will cut down cases. People have their emotional and financial life ruined by these cases.

Alex from Atkinson. This bill hits home for him. Negligent storage is questionable, when seconds count to get your guns a minute takes too long. He educates his kid regarding firearms. He is friends with Danville CoP and says the guy is devastated.

- - - Updated - - -

Close hearing. Kaldone, unofficial NH NES statehouse reporter signing off.

I'm not getting the Danville references - the chief is being charged criminally. HB388 cuts off civil liability, not criminal liability. Tho' I suppose a lawsuit would follow any conviction.

Alex from Atkinson. This bill hits home for him. Negligent storage is questionable, when seconds count to get your guns a minute takes too long. He educates his kid regarding firearms. He is friends with Danville CoP and says the guy is devastated.

- - - Updated - - -

Close hearing. Kaldone, unofficial NH NES statehouse reporter signing off.

Well done, thank you.

The thing that bugs me is there wasn't as much 2A support showing up this time. Almost all the Antis from the house hearing showed but a much smaller pro crowd. I was told that apparently this normally happens with the senate hearings.

I know I am lucky to have a boss that lets me take off with short notice, just disheartening to see so many people wwho want to take our freedoms in one spot.

NH had Castle Doctrine before, HB 135 would roll back Expanded Castle

Please dear god let new hampshire not become northern mass... I one day hope to buy a nice plot of land up in that wonderful state.... I just cannot understand the logic behind these "no self help" laws, how can anyone justify retreating from your house to saftey and calling the police. I just dont get it. The only thing i can see as a no no is shooting somone who is just on your property, it would seem harder to justify unless they were shooting at you.
Even HB135 wouldn't make NH a "no self help" state; before "Stand Your Ground" (aka "Extended Castle Doctrine") law was passed a year and half ago, we had a basic "Castle Doctrine" for self-defense at home, being "not required to retreat if he is within his dwelling or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor" (RSA 627:4)

Keep in mind, this bill was intended to roll things back to where we were a year and a half ago, not even close to turning New Hampshire into "MA north". People in the north country can wait an hour for the police, so there's a strong need for self help.

Even HB135 wouldn't make NH a "no self help" state; before "Stand Your Ground" (aka "Extended Castle Doctrine") law was passed a year and half ago, we had a basic "Castle Doctrine" for self-defense at home, being "not required to retreat if he is within his dwelling or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor" (RSA 627:4)

Keep in mind, this bill was intended to roll things back to where we were a year and a half ago, not even close to turning New Hampshire into "MA north". People in the north country can wait an hour for the police, so there's a strong need for self help.

Hell, you can wait 15 minutes for police assistance in Barrington, NH (said by the CoP himself). A town that borders Dover/Rochester!

Gerald p Ross. Hudson. Support 135 . Things wecan do to reduce victims of gun violence. 135 does not infringe on self defense. ....treyvon Martin ....... Good people can be in wrong place wrong time. Seeks to reduce possibility. Save one child.
these dunces played the "save one child" card. aren't adults just as important, as they are needed to raise a child. just like "police are outgunned" card, i did not take away their guns, i say carry what you want as long as you know how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom