BILL KILLED 3/5/20 NH-SB469 "An Act relative to shooting ranges" (2020 Sen. Jeanne Dietsch range protection repeal bill)

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The Text of LSRs is being published on the gencourt site.
SB-469 repeals and rewrites RSA 159-B, is sponsored by Senators Dietsch & Kahn.

---Update as of 3/5 ---
Committee vote was 4-0 (ITL)
Senate vote was 24-0 against (Killed)

Last edited:

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Maybe update title to begiin with a "NH" so folks know what state it applies to.
There are going to be a lot of bills this year
Fair enough. (Done)
I'd forgotten Maine & Vermont have range protection laws of their own.

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This bill is one of the worst/most dangerous introduced for 2020 imho

It should really be called the "Shooting range shutdown act of 2020"

Why?

Well lets read the bill text posted below:

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty

AN ACT relative to shooting ranges.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Shooting Ranges. RSA 159-B is repealed and reenacted to read as follows:

CHAPTER 159-B

SHOOTING RANGES

159-B:1 Definitions. In this chapter:

I. "Noise" shall mean the intensity, duration, and character of sounds from shooting.

II. "Shooting range" shall mean a property or properties designed and operated for persons using rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, or black powder weapons, as defined by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; or archery; air rifles; silhouettes; skeet ranges; trap ranges; or other similar facilities.

159-B:2 Compliance With Noise Ordinances.

I. An owner or operator of a shooting range shall comply with all duly adopted noise control ordinances in effect on or after the effective date of this section in the municipality in which the shooting range is established or operated. No noise control ordinance shall restrict a weapon listed in RSA 159-B:1, II from firing within a shooting range, between dawn and dusk, at a rate of 2 seconds or more between shots.

II. An owner or operator who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and:

(a) For a first offense, shall be subject to a warning.

(b) For a second offense, shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $500.

(c) For a third or subsequent offense, shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $1,000 for each such offense.

159-B:3 Cause of Action. A person may maintain a private action against the owner or operator of a shooting range for a violation of this chapter, provided the action is brought within 3 years from the date the violation was or should have been discovered.

159-B:4 Liability for Stray Ammunition or Debris. The owner or operator of a shooting range shall be subject to civil and criminal liability for injuries to any person or damage to property caused by stray ammunition, target parts, explosive devices, or other debris resulting from the operation of a shooting range that leave the boundaries of the shooting range.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2021.
1. It repeals prior state law that protected ranges from encroaching development and onerous local noise restrictions.
2. Allows for the criminalization via local ordinance of any person or range where the rate of fire exceeds 1 round every 2 seconds.
3. B:4 appears to be redundant as there is already civil and criminal liability for accidents already.......but it extends and places that liability on the owner/operator of the range.
4. Introduces fines for violations of new noise ordinances for ranges/operators
5. Introduces a 3 year statute of limitations to bring charges against owner/operators

Whats the effective outcome.

It will result in ranges shutting down......

Limiting rate of fire for an entire range to 1 round every 2 seconds is impossible to comply with and as such will result in fines/onerous compliance schemes for established ranges and penalties for Joe/Sally shooter in their back yard.

Noise isnt "Noise" according to this law......local ordinances dont need to define noise levels wrt firearms........the law has criminalized the firing of a firearm/bb gun or bow and arrow after dusk/before dawn regardless of the decibles or noise levels at the boundary of the property or range.

Will increase insurance rates/operating costs for ranges and individuals and subject them to legal/lawyer costs as well as criminal/civil records/loss of reputation for non crimes.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The bill is the the "2020 range closure act", Legislators don't get to name bills, we do. :)

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hearing scheduled for the range closure act

Thurs 01/23/2020 at 10:00 AM SH Room 100

This bill is one of the top two most devastating anti gun bills submitted this year so please plan to attend

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm sure many of you already know what particular club Dietsch is targeting.

Would this be a hint?

Senator Jeanne Dietsch (D-Peterborough)

All kidding/joking aside folks this is a bill we need to pack the state house to oppose and every club/range in the state needs to announce to members via email/etc this threat and the hearing

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How would these fvcktards know if one person was shooting every 2 seconds, or if there were 8 people firing every 2 seconds, leading to them hearing 4 rounds per second at the gate?
Here's how this works

they repeal the range protection act
Local municipalities pass noise ordinance that prohibit exactly what is outlined in the bill
Neighbor makes a complaint to popo and they show up and listen for a round count that exceeds 1 round every 2 seconds and impose fine

Rinse and repeat.....1000 dollar fines will shut down a range real fast

It is also an end to all shooting instruction courses, end of all shooting competitions et because it renders compliance with the 1 round every 2 seconds law a logistical impossibility

Sig will be shut down, Ridgeline up in Dalton is done.....

Edit: One additional point. Denying property owners the ability to use their property in a manner that is customary/accepted and has been the norm for years and/or decades constitutes a taking consistent with emminent domain issues

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kick this back to the top folks

Hearing is scheduled for next thurs 01/23/2020, Room 100, SH, 10:00 am

there are a couple other hearings scheduled for Wed 1/22

this bill stands to be one of if not THE most damaging bill to RKBA submitted this year and we need turn out for the hearing even if you just show up, sign the sign in sheet as opposed to the bill and leave.

Rinse and repeat on the bills on Wed 1/22 (HB1101 -FN Waiting period for firearm purchase and HB1379 -FN Universal Background Check)

There's a Red Flag bill hearing on 1/21 for the adult protective order bill HB1660

All covered in the 2020 bill thread in post 1

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was planning to be there for these, I even had the time off, but unfortunately my mother in law passed this Sunday so I will be flying out to Missouri for the funeral and staying out there all next week. I'm wicked bummed about not being able to be there. I'm bummed about the MIL too (we were actually pretty close) but this is SO important. I'll be monitoring the proceedings as best I can from afar.

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was planning to be there for these, I even had the time off, but unfortunately my mother in law passed this Sunday so I will be flying out to Missouri for the funeral and staying out there all next week. I'm wicked bummed about not being able to be there. I'm bummed about the MIL too (we were actually pretty close) but this is SO important. I'll be monitoring the proceedings as best I can from afar.
email your reps.....

send testimony via mail or email to the committee and explain why you cannot attend.

contact info is below

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
email your reps.....

send testimony via mail or email to the committee and explain why you cannot attend.

contact info is below

I will indeed. Fortunately my reps are conservative so I have no fear they will vote against what they believe. I will write something and email it to both of my reps and the committee. Thanks.

Reactions: jpk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HB 655, permitting towns to define and punish "disorderly houses", is a backdoor attempt to shut down recreational shooting.

It was tabled last week, but it can be taken off the table at any future session day. This is a stealth bill that must be watched.
Thank You on the up date.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We need another Big Gun Rally in Concord soon ! 2/23 Ring a Bell !
Thurs is a good day for folks to show up......this is a nasty nasty bill.........we need to pack the capitol

Weekend rallies are little more than a circle jerk/feel good event.....there's no one in the capitol forced to pay attention/take notice.

Top Bottom