• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big shoutout to Neil Tassel

Wait what? LOL

So you go through the person's papers, medicine cabinet and all his/her stuff to figure out the person's medical history?
The one time it makes sense if the person has an urgent PRN Rx like an inhaler prescribed for them, as the EMTs can make use of it if it prescribed specifically for that patient.

The one time it makes sense if the person has an urgent PRN Rx like an inhaler prescribed for them, as the EMTs can make use of it if it prescribed specifically for that patient.
time for a little whataboutism: unresponsive patient, alone, [current] heart medications in the bathroom cabinet...

[edit: this is what I get for not knowing "PRN". so I guess this was really me agreeing with you]

Wait what? LOL

So you go through the person's papers, medicine cabinet and all his/her stuff to figure out the person's medical history?
If someone is unconscious, altered mental status, non-verbal, etc. and many times there can be medical paperwork on a kitchen table or a nightstand, and/or meds in a medicine cabinet, then yes. That would fall under exigent circumstances/community caretaking/plain view exception to the 4th Amendment. I do recommend though that people keep a list of meds/medical history/personal info on the fridge.

If someone is unconscious, altered mental status, non-verbal, etc. and many times there can be medical paperwork on a kitchen table or a nightstand, and/or meds in a medicine cabinet, then yes. That would fall under exigent circumstances/community caretaking/plain view exception to the 4th Amendment. I do recommend though that people keep a list of meds/medical history/personal info on the fridge.
And always check the fridge door for a DNR order.

Wait what? LOL

It's fairly common. it's not done clandestinely, either.

In all the endless medical calls I've gone on I've never had or heard of a patient or their family say a single thing about it, either. They're the ones calling for help afterall.

And always check the fridge door for a DNR order.

The DNR is a unicorn. Even though those with a DNR know better. I'd say it's there maybe 1/3 of the time or less.

It's fairly common. it's not done clandestinely, either.

In all the endless medical calls I've gone on I've never had or heard of a patient or their family say a single thing about it, either. They're the ones calling for help afterall.
EMTs are there exclusively to help. They are not helping while concurrently looking for things that can be used against you.

Wait what? LOL

Uh. Yes. You're there to help them and knowing what meds they are on (or supposed to be on) is extremely critical info. Lots of FD/EMS calls are for people in altered mental states. It is extremely common to deal with diabetics, and fairly common for head injuries.

It is also not uncommon for a friend or relative to not know the person's medical history or needs.

I responded to a call earlier this year. Diabetic with a history of cancer. Her new boyfriend had no idea why she was incoherent or unable to get out of bed.

Uh. Yes. You're there to help them and knowing what meds they are on (or supposed to be on) is extremely critical info. Lots of FD/EMS calls are for people in altered mental states. It is extremely common to deal with diabetics, and fairly common for head injuries.

It is also not uncommon for a friend or relative to not know the person's medical history or needs.

I responded to a call earlier this year. Diabetic with a history of cancer. Her new boyfriend had no idea why she was incoherent or unable to get out of bed.
A lot of people also play dumb and a lot of people also freeze up and are unable to answer questions while they see loved ones (etc) in rough shape.

We wouldn't tear the house apart but usually would send someone off to do some searching if we thought it necessary.

Many years ago I passed car having issues staying in lane on my way to the bank.
Car subsequently had an interaction with a telephone pole.
Checked the driver - middle aged male, semi-coherent, sweating with slow/disoriented movements.
First thought would have been drunk off his ass but saw a med bracelet and asked if he was diabetic and had eaten/taken insulin.
Answer was yes, no, yes.
Quick run back into the bank for a few lollypops and the guy was doing much better by the time the police and EMTs arrived.

Sometimes looking for information is just trying to help - one can easily "not notice" things that are in plain sight if you are focused on helping a person.

I agree with this! My Father had a heart attack and wore a medic-alert bracelet, however never updated his Rx info with them.

When I was notified by a neighbor and found out what hospital he was taken to, I called the hospital and the attending doctor asked me what meds he was on. All that I could tell the doctor was that he was diabetic and on insulin. I never knew exactly what he took and when. I lived 10 miles away from him and hadn't lived in their house for 16 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom