Big Scopes

Got a Millett Buck Gold Varmint Target Special 6x25x56 on the
table in front of me where it's been for the past four years.

56 millimeters my ass!

The f***ing bell measures out at seventy one millimeters which is so
damn big I can't mount it on anything unless I'm launching bullets thru a soda straw. Even then I got my head so high it's like I'm shooting a chin gun. Cheek to stock weld is impossible with the extra high 30mm rings I have to use.

Anybody out there experience a similar problem with these fat ass inter-galatic observatories the scope companies are pumping out now?

I usually shoot bolt guns with 1 and 1/8 inch straight bull barrels on them (lots -o-shots, just lop off a little when the throat burns out, rethread, rechamber and reload).

Anyway, am thinking about a new Millet tactical scope 4x16x61 or 67mm.

Anybody got one and ,if so, what's the actual outside diameter of the objective bell?

THANX MUCH,
MAJOR D

I may be wrong but if rifle optics follow the same conventions as camera lenses, the lens measurement has less to do with the housing (bell) and more to do with the glass itself. If the glass measures 56mm, it is not unreasonable to expect the bell which mounts, secures, and protects the internal optics and objective lens, to be 15mm larger. Have you considered one of those add on devices that extends the stock upwards for better cheek weld? How about a monte-carlo type stock with a high rollover comb? As a last resort you could wrap many layers of duct tape to build up the height of the stock. (Just kidding on the duct tape, making sure you were paying attention.)

Last edited:
The comb of the stock is a secondary consideration.

The main problem is the bell of the scope won't clear the barrel -
even when using extra high rings.

It is impossible to mount the scope on a bull barreled gun.

Check out the big Leupold scope. Leupold had to design a horse shoe
notch into the objective lens and bell to make it possible to mount on a rifle
with any sort of heavy barrel.

That's what I'm talking about.

Re the big Leupold: Looks to me like claw mounts only. No way you can swing that
scope over the barrel with twist rings and blocks.

MAJOR D

Too big

How about ATN they make a 70+ objective scope withextra high rings. The eye piece end has a prism to allow the eye piece to be down next to the action. Look on cheaper than dirt.com. Set a price on the scope you have I may have a buyer.
Jim

The comb of the stock is a secondary consideration.

The main problem is the bell of the scope won't clear the barrel -
even when using extra high rings.

It is impossible to mount the scope on a bull barreled gun.
MAJOR D

Weaver makes See-Thru Rings - designed so you can look UNDER the scope at iron sights - that appear to be much higher than any High or even Extra High regular-style rings. You might check them out.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom