• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big Punch, Little Package: The ‘Diablo,’ A 12GA Muzzle-Loading Pistol from American Gun Craft

Big Punch, Little Package: The 'Diablo,' A 12GA Muzzle-Loading Pistol from American Gun Craft - GunsAmerica Digest

diablo-400x267.jpg
I'm confused. Why does it break open if it's a muzzleloader?

Last edited:
Shoot it one-handed and the hammer will punch a hole in the web of your hand. better wear a glove. Jack.

There are a couple of very very short videos on YT with this guy.

THere's a poor guy with that Rossi 12ga pistol (not BP). That guy is hurting.

But the BP Diablo's - not that bad. Again - BP is very different than smokeless AND you load it with a helluva lot less power than even a normal target load.

There are a couple of very very short videos on YT with this guy.

THere's a poor guy with that Rossi 12ga pistol (not BP). That guy is hurting.

But the BP Diablo's - not that bad. Again - BP is very different than smokeless AND you load it with a helluva lot less power than even a normal target load.
Yeah. 40 grains of BP is a very light load.

How do you keep the powder from absorbing humidity while loaded? Do you seal it with wax?

I shoot a few muskets, but never ran into this issue since I dont store them loaded.

Yeah. 40 grains of BP is a very light load.

How do you keep the powder from absorbing humidity while loaded? Do you seal it with wax?

I shoot a few muskets, but never ran into this issue since I dont store them loaded.

That's my point that this is a toy. You'd never load this and just wait for BadBadMan to come so you can blow him away.

Wild Bill would unload his guns every morning. At a target. Then clean the BP firearms and reload them for the day.

Same here. There are 100 better solutions at your local gun shop - including whacking the BG with a cleaning rod - than this thing. It's a goof-off toy. AT $400, nah. If it was $250, I'd consider it just for goofs.

It is not practical to load this thing and leave it loaded. On top of that, you have to flip a switch on the hammer to fire the 2nd bbl.

STILL all that said - I'd love to try it. LOL

That's my point that this is a toy. You'd never load this and just wait for BadBadMan to come so you can blow him away.

Wild Bill would unload his guns every morning. At a target. Then clean the BP firearms and reload them for the day.

Same here. There are 100 better solutions at your local gun shop - including whacking the BG with a cleaning rod - than this thing. It's a goof-off toy. AT $400, nah. If it was $250, I'd consider it just for goofs.

It is not practical to load this thing and leave it loaded. On top of that, you have to flip a switch on the hammer to fire the 2nd bbl.

STILL all that said - I'd love to try it. LOL
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Potentially fun, but not $400 worth.

Do modern gun makers know about 28, 20 and 16 gauges? Why do they only make cool guns in 12 and 410?

Outside of 20, the other two are pretty much strictly hunting/wingshooter cartridges, so appeal is limited.

-Mike

Do modern gun makers know about 28, 20 and 16 gauges? Why do they only make cool guns in 12 and 410?
I have a Mossberg 20 gauge with a pistol grip they sold as a "camp special" many years ago. It came in handy when I lived in Boston one time...

Shoot it one-handed and the hammer will punch a hole in the web of your hand. better wear a glove. Jack.

I shot ten consecutive rounds out of my American Derringer Model 1 in .44 mag with no glove. I did duct tape a beer coaster to the webbing on my hand though.... S&W .460 es with a 2.5 inch barrel was similar in recoil.... I shot an AD model 4 in .45-70 as well- ouch. We shall see how bad it is soon enough.

Too cool. Since its a muzzloader, is it subject to MA storage requirements? On that note, what about cap and ball revolvers?

Well, there's this:

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

Source:

Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121

But the OP item is not a replica.

A cap and ball revolver is not a " firearm" per the above.

IANAL

I've tried Trap with a Judge.

I did not shoot my average. [rofl]

At Maspenock, there is/was a guy that would shoot a 10-ga lever-action BP shottie at Trap.

Bang....bang....BOOM......[pause while smoke dissipates]....bang.... [laugh]

Can you imagine what the State Shoot would be like on a damp, non-windy day. [shocked]

This has the feel of the guy on Glocktalk years (YEARS - 15-18?) ago that found a stash of European Glock mags he was gonna import. It was always tomorrow. Dang if I can't remember the guy's name.

I just got my hands on mine today. I heard some people were having a wait but it looks like they’ve got themselves all caught up. Orders in mid November will be shipped the same day. The quality of this item seems upscale! .You can really tell that They take a lot of pride in their product simply based on the packaging they ship it in. everything was perfect and very displayed. It came to me just as expected and even included a very nice stowage bag. I can't wait to take this thing out to the range because it's going to get dome use! I'll probably bring it along I. The woods this year. Never enough back up.! Discussing recoil Management is kind of moot since you’re able to pick your own loads. I've got ball, buck and bird to display if I'm allowed to post links. If anybody is still scratching their heads about the quality of this product… scratch no more!

Back
Top Bottom