• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big cat.

Have his tackle mounted to hang from your mirror.

ETA: Do not do this if you drive a jeep.

Out of curiosity, why did you shoot it?

Dave

Million dollar question.

Could be predator control, pelt, or he wanted to mount it. Based on his original post he is going to have it mounted. Done properly they make a beautiful mount.

What difference does it make?

Bob

Big Brother really PO'd The Wife! Check taxidermy supply sites for the types of foam forms and position options
P1010396a.jpg

There's always examples on Craigslist and ebay
TAXIDERMY BOBCAT

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why did you shoot it?

Dave
I will shoot a bob cat for the same reason I shoot coyotes. Damage to the game species I want around.

I mentioned to game warden I had seen several bob cats. I had enjoyed watching them. He asked why I didn't shoot them? Told me they would almost totally wipe out the turkey flocks on the property. (He was a turkey hunter also) Bobcats will climb the tree and kill a sleeping turkey on the roost. They will kill one turkey per cat per night.

I don't get the "kill to display" mentality.

Kill to eat - support.

You need to get out more. Where we can within the law on our hunting property we are real hard on porcupines (destroy all kinds of equipment and property), coyotes, bob cats, raccoons (nasty animals that fight with everything and one of main transmitters of rabies and will wipe out every turkey nest they can find), beavers - overpopulated and starving they were straying and trying to drop every tree around our camps. A local trapper agreed to help out. He took 9 beaver in 10 days from one trap under my dock. All skin and bones and the pelts pretty worthless. On a relatively small lake (350 acres) he took out over 100 beaver in a few weeks. 20 miles from me in Canada they government was paying a bounty on beaver. I won't eat beaver or coyote or raccoon, but I do have one example of each pelt in the camp.

I will shoot a bob cat for the same reason I shoot coyotes. Damage to the game species I want around.

I mentioned to game warden I had seen several bob cats. I had enjoyed watching them. He asked why I didn't shoot them? Told me they would almost totally wipe out the turkey flocks on the property. (He was a turkey hunter also) Bobcats will climb the tree and kill a sleeping turkey on the roost. They will kill one turkey per cat per night.

You need to get out more. Where we can within the law on our hunting property we are real hard on porcupines (destroy all kinds of equipment and property), coyotes, bob cats, raccoons (nasty animals that fight with everything and one of main transmitters of rabies and will wipe out every turkey nest they can find), beavers - overpopulated and starving they were straying and trying to drop every tree around our camps. A local trapper agreed to help out. He took 9 beaver in 10 days from one trap under my dock. All skin and bones and the pelts pretty worthless. On a relatively small lake (350 acres) he took out over 100 beaver in a few weeks. 20 miles from me in Canada they government was paying a bounty on beaver. I won't eat beaver or coyote or raccoon, but I do have one example of each pelt in the camp.

I think you misunderstood my point. I don't have a problem with hunting to eat or population control for pests, to your points above.

I just don't like the idea of killing some animal to show in your living room.

It's my opinion only, and does not imply that others follow suit.

BTW, I am out and about quite a bit.

I think you misunderstood my point. I don't have a problem with hunting to eat or population control for pests, to your points above.

I just don't like the idea of killing some animal to show in your living room.

It's my opinion only, and does not imply that others follow suit.

BTW, I am out and about quite a bit.

Most guys don't kill just to display in the living room, its either to control predators (I shoot them on sight) or to eat (deer, hogs, etc)

If you get something nice to display in the living room, that is just a bonus. I am selective on deer because of antlers, but I still eat the venison it provides.

For coyotes, foxes, I will give someone the pelts or whole thing that will use it. Or I will use the skinned body as bait. I generally don't shoot bobcats around here, the season is too weird to figure out and they close it at 50 or something??? WTF. I have seen them though in the woods and really feel they should be shot.

There are other pests of the 3s variety as well that do damage on game like birds and squirrels and rabbits, or property or environment because they are overpopulated and trapping laws in this state are retarded.

That said, there are guys that hunt for the wall only. That's a waste IMHO

I had a mass biologist come to my house to take a brain sample on a buck I had taken. She was doing a CWD study, think it was her pet project. Very nice lady. After she took the sample, she turned and asked if I hunt coyote, I said I occasionally shoot one. She told me I should “shoot every f#@%*ng one You see” She went on to say how she sees very large packs and they are devastating small game and bird populations. I assume she would say the same about Bobcat. I took her advice on the coyotes. Never seen a bobcat, although I am seeing more tracks around.

Joseph,

What did you use to take the cat?

Thinking about getting into predator huntung; fox, bobcat, coyote and trying to decide what rifles to get.

Thinking .17 hmr or .22 mag for fox, and .204 for bobcat and coyote to preserve pelts.

The .17 hornet and .22 hornet are also a consideration along with the 12ga.

I currently don't reload.

Thanks.

I used my AR 15 in .223 with reloaded Sierra 65 grain Game Kings. Here in Georgia we are allowed to use any .22 caliber or larger for varmints and deer. Your laws may be different where you hunt. A 22 magnum should be plenty for any varmint in the north east.

Back
Top Bottom