• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big Brother is Watching - Again!

When a car is totaled, the insurance company typically takes possession of it in the guise of paying you for the car. I had this happen to me even before I settled with the insurance company. In fact, before I received a check they actually auctioned it off! I filed complaints with the AG and RMV but it all falls on deaf ears when insurance companies are concerned. [This happened ~1979. I still have the title to that car too!]

Motor vehicles have had "black boxes" installed since the early 90's. They were, at first, part of the passive restrain systems. Today I imagine they have become more capable as microchips advance. Only once did we ever try to pull the data off the black box from one of our cars. Due to the current disruption, all information was lost. The software needed to retrieve any information is available through , in this case, Ford dealers only. It wasn't cheap.....No agaency I've ever dealt with ever tried to use the info. In any case, it would require a court order in NJ.

The same rumors about speed enforcement using EZPass went around NJ when it first became available. They were quickly put to rest. There is no way to enforce speed limits using EZPass or Fastlane. The only readouts are in the tollbooths themselves. At best, a nasty letter about going through the toll booth too fast.

My '98 Windstar thinks that I drive around with a missing gas cap and the side door open.
[laugh2]
I'm not sure that I want it testifying against me in court.
It reminds me of a quote from somewhere that goes "Don't listen to those sheep. They're all damn liars."[shocked]

I'm not at home so I can't grab the link easily, but there's a kit out there that'll connect up to a PDA (Windows or Palm OS) that lets you read the computer - it isn't that expensive, either, about $250 or so. Getting diagnostics is easier and easier nowadays.
You can buy an actual OBD-II reader for quite a bit less than that.

(Conspiracy theory people take note: those NYC toll takers are armed).
This was indeed a conspiracy.

Step #1: Get your union members armed for their self protection.

Step #2: Demand an adjustment in pay to bring your people in line with other armed professionals working for the government.

Another CNN article (video) about EDRs:

There's a spy in your car
That 'black box' in your car may seem like a good idea, but it could send you to jail. CNN's Randi Kaye reports. (November 26)

"The airbag saved my life... the data recorder sent me to jail for the rest of my life."

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/law/2006/11/26/kaye.car.black.boxes.wsvn

Man.... I was -very- disturbed after watching this [shocked] . It's one thing to
have this device- it's another for it to end up sending you to
jail. The worst part is it -appears- that the court seemed to trust the
box over the testimony of the drivers, as though the box is pretty much
infalliable, which we all know could be a load of BS.

-Mike

I'm all for the proper use of technology but the more I read stuff like this the more I find my self becoming a Luddite. Knowing how deeply the government or insurance companies can peer into our lives without our knowledge or consent just freakes me out. I can't wait for gas to become so expensive we all have to start riding horses again.

Now, where's my tinfoil hat ?
tinfoil3.gif

I'm with you Mr. T!!! Bring back horses!! [smile] [wink]

When a car is totaled, the insurance company typically takes possession of it in the guise of paying you for the car. I had this happen to me even before I settled with the insurance company. In fact, before I received a check they actually auctioned it off! I filed complaints with the AG and RMV but it all falls on deaf ears when insurance companies are concerned. [This happened ~1979. I still have the title to that car too!]

This is fairly easy to stop. First, instruct where ever the car is towed not to release it. Until you release the car to the insurance company, it's still yours. They can't take it without your permission. The insurance company will bluster and threaten not to pay the storage charges, but that's between them and the tow company, not you.

The insurance company does not need the title to sell the car for salvage.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom