big boy

I'm not sure on AR triggers, deals change from time to time, but that big ass primer may need more oomph? I would not worry about having a pound trigger on that thang, err on side of caution for now.

Heat treating, not sure.

Small update .
I work harden the bolt face cutting the under cut for the extractor . It was a shell holder type . Ie the extractor is built into the bolt face . I pushed the keyway cutter to hard .and destroyed the bit and work harden the area .

I tossed this in my tool box and been dealing with a bunch of bull shit .

I took it out of my box . Stared at it for a bit . Had a few shots with it . And figured out a way to move forward .

Any one know a good deal on a drop in ar trigger ? Like the ones that are self contained that should be strong enough to set the primer off .
Any one know a good heat treating place that’s local ?

If you said something to me sooner I would have had a trigger.

Or molten salt bath?

salt bath is good for tempering, but he needs to get it very hot first, propane torch can only go so far and you get all the gas issues. If someone can do it in temp control oven, I'd not dick around, especially that we like Ben very much and want him to stick around for a while.

yeah heating a bolt and a receiver this size is some thing you cant really do with a torch. ive heard of guys filling a steel bucket with coals and doing it that way. but honestly id rather have it professionally done.

yeah heating a bolt and a receiver this size is some thing you cant really do with a torch. ive heard of guys filling a steel bucket with coals and doing it that way. but honestly id rather have it professionally done.

you got to be careful with that, too much air in the wrong place, you can literally burn the steel out, very easily. ... ask me how I know

Welcome to Hardline Heat Treating Online!
From Metalworker on the guild. they want your info on the receiver and a SN.
I have no direct experience with them.

Small update .
I work harden the bolt face cutting the under cut for the extractor . It was a shell holder type . Ie the extractor is built into the bolt face . I pushed the keyway cutter to hard .and destroyed the bit and work harden the area .

I tossed this in my tool box and been dealing with a bunch of bull shit .

I took it out of my box . Stared at it for a bit . Had a few shots with it . And figured out a way to move forward .

Any one know a good deal on a drop in ar trigger ? Like the ones that are self contained that should be strong enough to set the primer off .
Any one know a good heat treating place that’s local ?

you got to be careful with that, too much air in the wrong place, you can literally burn the steel out, very easily. ... ask me how I know
I’ve read a bunch of stuff and def not worth the risk
Welcome to Hardline Heat Treating Online!
From Metalworker on the guild. they want your info on the receiver and a SN.
I have no direct experience with them.
thanks man . One thing I’m confused about is it a barrel extension or a receiver?
My extractor design will be removeable , so i can swap plates for differ calibers . And the “extension would be held inside a tube much like a ar15 setup or like a cetme, but removable trunion.

Ask them I guess, They are the ones who have to deal with ATF. send them a pic, and an explanation. On a regular bolt action it usually is the part that holds the ignition pressure/bolt.

5818B71B-844E-4892-B4BC-101366ED23B2.jpeg Cap screw and spacer are a place holder for the bolt handle . It will be a 90 deg handle like you see on mosins with scopes. Since the bolt is two lugs it needs to rotate 90 degs to full lock. Having the bolt handle straight it would hit the scope etc, doing it 90 deg vs say 45 gives me a little more mechanical advantage in a small radius . 5DFCA966-404D-457C-853B-3C9AD4C7F58A.jpeg
Showing the 3/16 reamed hole that will be used to keep the firing pin in place .

Last edited:
Some aluminum 2” bar stock showed up today. Went to the shop early to help the pottery studio move stuff .... why do I agree to help do heavy lifting while drunk and going to be hung over ...... yoga pants ;)

Any ways i found it when I came home, if the feeling of a axe in my brain goes away i might head back and start on the “stock” ..... maybe.....

Hope you have a video of the test firing. See if you can get someone with slow motion to do it. The harmonic ripple on that will be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom