big boy

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
e2351db2626a1ee699bc3e73c79959ff.jpg

This will be a long build thread .
So what do you do, when you get a 50 bmg barrel that's already chambered for dirt cheap ?

Barrel turned to final dims . Needs barrel extension thread and muzzle thread cut .
a68009763c78fb3a985cf1b4ac536c7f.jpg

what do you do when you have a 26" lathe between center and don't have a dog leg big enough ? Say **** it have the tail stock hang off a tad and clinch that butt and hope the pressure of the tail stock with make it spin.

a8a43a47f1a6e7e53b123d7b1b34c487.jpg

Nice little chips ! Rats nest could make this go bad fast .

5dea012a9ea714826c7382ba9adafe6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You ban my ar and my ak, I just go bigger!!

f178da8e528d7bb8d041945b0e28dea4.jpg

Muzzle device roughed out . Profile is to size , threaded , and bored thru.
Need to add "vent cuts"

Last edited:
I'm still not 100% set on what type of action I'll use . 2 lug or 3 lug bolt action or breach load like a cannon !!!
Nice thing about breach load is I can swap barrels and fire any round . Maybe 338 next?

0af1d9c8510ea60eb79bc4b51d0ff21c.jpg

bdb48d49f5b2f1437179fffa9eea02b4.jpg

Or

View: https://youtu.be/JWB9vbgq34A

Let me know what you guys think on this one .

Last edited:
You ban my ar and my ak, I just go bigger!!

[popcorn]
Going to do anything artistic (badass, funny, ridiculous) with the vents?

I do have a tormach cnc to use now.

I'm trying to think of what to engrave on the barrel or brake .
4510f1f74cd3a3c1a0bfe5359e532efc.png

Whipped this up for the maker space I belong too.

If you guys got a good idea on what to engrave let me know lol ... I might use it .
If I can get a dxf or svg file of Maura healey tyrant logo I'd put it on it .

Last edited:
Make sure to include positive extraction in the groove for the bolt handle. Or you will have to use a mallet to get the bolt out! you got me beat on the .50 bmg. lol

Keep an eye on S.1298 .... https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/SD1884

Section 123A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, law or regulation to the contrary, it shall be unlawful to sell, purchase, rent, lease or possess a .50 BMG rifle or .50 BMG cartridge. Any person violating this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment for not less than 1 year nor more than 10 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. For purposes of this section the following words shall have the following meanings:-

".50 BMG cartridge" means a cartridge that is designed and intended to be fired from a center fire rifle and that meets all of the following criteria:

(a) It has an overall length of 5.54 inches from the base to the tip of the bullet.

(b) The bullet diameter for the cartridge is from .510 to, and including, .511 inch.

(c) The case base diameter for the cartridge is from .800 inch to, and including, .804 inch.

(d) The cartridge case length is 3.91 inches.

".50 BMG rifle" means a center fire rifle that can fire a .50 BMG cartridge and is not already an assault weapon or a machinegun. It shall not include any antique firearm, nor any curio or relic as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Is this bolt rifle going to be mag fed?
He's showing single shot bolt designs, but I think he should clone a falling block like JM Browning's Winchester High Wall
cool_zpsb18cf5f4.gif

Edit: Nevermind. I just looked at an exploded view and it looks like a serious PITA to do yourself. Maybe if you already had the 3D files they could be scaled and made on CNC, but several parts look like they have about 10 different set-ups to machine.

Last edited:
Looks like it died in committee. Same batch of shit that gets filed every year and dies.

Is this bolt rifle going to be mag fed?
Nah , not worth the trouble for me.

He's showing single shot bolt designs, but I think he should clone a falling block like JM Browning's Winchester High Wall
cool_zpsb18cf5f4.gif

Edit: Nevermind. I just looked at an exploded view and it looks like a serious PITA to do yourself. Maybe if you already had the 3D files they could be scaled and made on CNC, but several parts look like they have about 10 different set-ups to machine.

I've been working on this in fusion 360
[video]https://youtu.be/JWB9vbgq34A[/video]
Would making the stick easy , no problem clearing a scope . And I could swap barrels for any caliber .

Last edited:
I love the idea of switchable barrels. If that jackass bill S1298 does make it a 1 year minimum jail sentence for owning a single 50BMG cartridge, just re-barrel for one of those necked-down 50BMG wildcats. I think John Browning would approve.[thumbsup]

I love the idea of switchable barrels. If that jackass bill S1298 does make it a 1 year minimum jail sentence for owning a single 50BMG cartridge, just re-barrel for one of those necked-down 50BMG wildcats. I think John Browning would approve.[thumbsup]

Why bother. Increase your OAL by a hundredth and it's not a 50 BMG. Hell I bet most factory ammo doesn't fit the definition. The bills language is dumb;

".50 BMG cartridge" means a cartridge that is designed and intended to be fired from a center fire rifle and that meets all of the following criteria:

(a) It has an overall length of 5.54 inches from the base to the tip of the bullet."

31d6cf64f43fe8b4815802dc72c6226c.jpg

54ab53c48e34614330821ca7e41a81db.jpg

f7eb2d22a45cf1a49e1d53f0fa30111a.jpg

No in action pics today . Sorry .

Word of advice . Dont buy a old south bend lathe that is flat belt driven which a threaded spindle . Duck that shat...
Just buy a gear driven lathe .... any time I'd make a chip the belt would pop off . So I was stuck dealing with a birds nest .

Word of advice . Dont buy a old south bend lathe that is flat belt driven which a threaded spindle . Duck that shat...
Just buy a gear driven lathe .... any time I'd make a chip the belt would pop off . So I was stuck dealing with a birds nest .

Do you mean the belt is slipping off the cone pulleys? If that's the case you have a misalignment or tension issue.

Yes, the threaded spindle can be an issue if you run the head stock in reverse and take anything but the lightest of cuts. I like my 11" Rockwell with the L00 spindle.

Last edited:
Do you mean the belt is slipping off the cone pulleys? If that's the case you have a misalignment or tension issue.
I've made adjustments etc . I'm basically stalling the spindle . The belt then slips on one of the pulleys and then pops off. I'm trying a new belt today so maybe that helps . Some of the stuff I've tried to cut i can't be aggressive enough to make a chip .
Part of it is the flat belt system and limited speeds.
If you look at the bolt it was more dull before I did some finish work . In the past when I turn 4140 I get a nice shinny finish and nice chips .

I just personally think the maker space made a huge mistake buying this lathe.
For the same price they could of gotten a new more ridged gap bed grizzly. I'm spoiled since I've mainly used gear driven lathes with way more gears lol . Also the damn thing didn't come with a steady or follow rest . The tail stock can only drill 2" ....

For what these machines go for used , I'd buy the grizzly .
If I could affordable to move my matador to the makers space I'd do that since it just sitting right now .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom