• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big bore old school rifles.

BONESTOCK

NES Member
Hello,

Who else loves old school big bore rifles? I am looking for someone to help me learn to shoot and actually be able to hit what I am aiming at. I am trying to shoot open sights only and at mostly 50 yards but occasionally 100 yards if I can.
I am a long time member of my local range but would also be willing to travel if needed.
I will provide equipment and ammo and I don't mind paying fees if needed.
I have a Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Winchester Magnum.
I also have that same Ruger #1 in 45/70.
I have a Marlin 1895G in 45/70
I have a 1970s Harrington and Richardson Buffalo Classic in 45/70.
I have an Interarms Model X in .458 win Mag, this is a beautiful bolt action rifle.
I also have a lever action in .454 casull.
Reach out to me if you share the same passion for large caliber rifles and if you think you could help. I have spent most of my time shooting handguns for the past 30 years and I would really like to meet someone who is good with shooting rifles like this with open sights and in larger calibers.
If you have any questions please feel free.
Send me a PM and we can go from there.

As much as I love big bore stuff......it safe queens fairly readily with exception of my Marlin full size 22" 45-70 that i use for hunting.

Guide guns aren't that fun to shoot anymore. Though if Ruger comes back out with one I might consider it.

Other than that I'm much more into pistol caliber carbines now.

As much as I love big bore stuff......it safe queens fairly readily with exception of my Marlin full size 22" 45-70 that i use for hunting.

Guide guns aren't that fun to shoot anymore. Though if Ruger comes back out with one I might consider it.

Other than that I'm much more into pistol caliber carbines now.
Pretty sure they just did:

[deleted questionable link]

actual Marlin link

Last edited:
For the Rugers, get a peep/receiver sight. I've got one for my 35 Whelen, but I can't remember off the top of my head who makes it. NECG maybe?

What do you need to know, with that collection looks like you are good to go.

I passed on an 1886 Winchester 45-90 lever action yesterday.

I have ... Sharps 45/70, Mauser 45/70, Henry 45/70, BFR 45/70, Trapdoor 45/70, Mauser 458 Win Mag, BFR 460.

I want a #1, but prices in anything fun like 458 or 45/70 are stupid.

I have them on my Henry Big Boy in 44 mag, they are a pain to sight in, but work great once set up
Interesting. Why are they a pain to sight in?

The only peep sight I ever had to sight in was the Soule sight for my Sharps, and it was very easy. I am more accurate and can shoot faster with that sight than normal iron sights or a scope.

Interesting. Why are they a pain to sight in?

The only peep sight I ever had to sight in was the Soule sight for my Sharps, and it was very easy. I am more accurate and can shoot faster with that sight than normal iron sights or a scope.
If your front sight isn't the right height stock, then you may have to then buy another front sight and dovetail it in. And if that is not correct,you'll have to file it.

Can be a PIA....but on all my levers I have them and you kinda get the idea what you need to do beforehand. Ive had certain ones dial right in with stock front sights, and others Ive had to reblade the front sight. If I'm going to do that, I always try and do some internet research and see which blade height is best, as I don't want to file if I don't have to.

Some have Skinners others have cheaper peeps which have been just as good.

Pretty sure they just did:

Wow,

However, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing all these guns have not really hit shelves yet, and street prices will be high for now.

If your front sight isn't the right height stock, then you may have to then buy another front sight and dovetail it in. And if that is not correct,you'll have to file it.

Can be a PIA....but on all my levers I have them and you kinda get the idea what you need to do beforehand. Ive had certain ones dial right in with stock front sights, and others Ive had to reblade the front sight. If I'm going to do that, I always try and do some internet research and see which blade height is best, as I don't want to file if I don't have to.

Some have Skinners others have cheaper peeps which have been just as good.
I would buy a Soule sight so you can adjust up and down.

Not sure if Skinner offers this option.

For example (I have a Kelley and love it)
download (5).jpeg

images (4).jpeg

Only big bore stuff I want is in .44 Mag, hoping to stumble across a ruger semi auto carbine, a JM lever gun and an NEF break action single shot or combo 12ga/44mag

Wow,

However, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing all these guns have not really hit shelves yet, and street prices will be high for now.

They’ve been out for at least a year now and generally pretty available. The prices have not come down though, you are spot on there.

Wow,

I'm sure you're right. Only reason I even thought to check was that somebody had just posted a video review of one. Definitely makes sense to hold out until there's some time to confirm how they behave before paying the early adopter tax.

They’ve been out for at least a year now and generally pretty available. The prices have not come down though, you are spot on there.
Im a little confused.

The ruger/marlin website only has 3 types availble.....Stainless trapper, stainless 4570 SBL and the new guide gun, which is not like the old guide gun. All with laminated stocks that I hate.

This other Marlin Arms Shop website I've never seen before.....is it real, or is it like some the fake Dan Wesson website? Seems like a scam to me........

Im a little confused.

The ruger/marlin website only has 3 types availble.....Stainless trapper, stainless 4570 SBL and the new guide gun, which is not like the old guide gun. All with laminated stocks that I hate.

This other Marlin Arms Shop website I've never seen before.....is it real, or is it like some the fake Dan Wesson website? Seems like a scam to me........
I was on my phone and probably took the first link I found for the new Guide Gun. That site definitely looks like a scam.

Sorry. I'll delete the link from my post, to prevent confusion.

@Mountain and @Mark from MA - a little sleuthing on that link shows that it's registered in Iceland...I would edit your posts that quote mine.

They are high right now.
Found a Trapper right at msrp of about 1300. Still a little high but paying a bit of a premium to Ruger to keep these things going wouldnt be the worst thing I ever did.

Problem is Ruger wont get the extra at msrp, the dealer will. Whatever the site is no tax so its a wash.

Really would prefer an 1894 trapper in 44 mag but thats likely year or three away

Found a Trapper right at msrp of about 1300. Still a little high but paying a bit of a premium to Ruger to keep these things going wouldnt be the worst thing I ever did.

Problem is Ruger wont get the extra at msrp, the dealer will. Whatever the site is no tax so its a wash.

Really would prefer an 1894 trapper in 44 mag but thats likely year or three away
Can probably get a Henry for $300 less.
Or a Winchester for around the same cost.
Or a Uberti.

When you go past $1K, there are several options. Maybe not all for trapper style, but there are some nice rifles.

I am sure the Ruger rifles are nice, eventually I will own one, but I am going to wait until they flood the market a little.

Last edited:
I think as a sort of bucket list purchase, I am going to place the order for a Big Horn Armory lever action 500. I may even order the .460 as well so I can run 45 colt, .454 Casull, and .460.

I think as a sort of bucket list purchase, I am going to place the order for a Big Horn Armory lever action 500. I may even order the .460 as well so I can run 45 colt, .454 Casull, and .460.
460 out of a lever action must be amazing.

From their site:
The 460 S&W, 454 Casull and 45 Colt all differ enough in length to require a different set of internal parts centered around each particular cartridge length. That is the reason we make the three different models of 45 caliber guns.
It makes sense. I won't shoot 45 or 454 in my 460 revolver, they are too short in my opinion.

By 500, are you talking about the 500SW or the 500 Linebaugh?

Last edited:
I like big bores and do own a few but I haven't gotten them outside in a number of years. I've reverted back about 60 years and now enjoy using just rimfire's on reactive targets. As you mentioned, you are familiar with pistols so you know that you need to develop a basic form, how it's held, stance, POA, stability and to be able to make adjustments depending on the type of handgun. Rifles are pretty much the same in those regards. With all that in mind, did you start out using big bore pistols say like a .44 or .454 or did you use a .22? You may want to start small and work your way up, learn how to use the sling as a support and get the basics down. I like Savage and CZ-USA for todays selections but do own Marlins, Brownings, Remington's, Ruger's and so on.

I like big bores and do own a few but I haven't gotten them outside in a number of years. I've reverted back about 60 years and now enjoy using just rimfire's on reactive targets. As you mentioned, you are familiar with pistols so you know that you need to develop a basic form, how it's held, stance, POA, stability and to be able to make adjustments depending on the type of handgun. Rifles are pretty much the same in those regards. With all that in mind, did you start out using big bore pistols say like a .44 or .454 or did you use a .22? You may want to start small and work your way up, learn how to use the sling as a support and get the basics down. I like Savage and CZ-USA for todays selections but do own Marlins, Brownings, Remington's, Ruger's and so on.
My progression was:

Handguns:
.22 > 9mm > 45/70 > 460 > 45 ACP > 357 Maximum

Rifles:
223 > .22 > 7.62x39 > bunch of Mausers and Mosin > 45/70 > 458 Win Mag

Mix in a bunch of black powder in between.

Now I am looking for:
- a Number 1 in a big bore cartridge.
- a lever action in something fun like 45/90, 460 ...
- Sporterized Mausers. I have one in 45/70 and one in 458 win mag. I would like to buy a few more. I love the safari rifle look.
- Eventually a double rifle.

My progression was:

Handguns:
.22 > 9mm > 45/70 > 460 > 458 win mag > 45 ACP > 357 Maximum

Rifles:
223 > .22 > 7.62x39 > bunch of Mausers and Mosin > 45/70 > 458 Win Mag

Mix in a bunch of black powder in between.
What?

ETA, I guess they do make em

Back
Top Bottom