• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big-A$$ Revolver

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I'm hoping to make a celebration purchase of Large Bore Revolver w/ Scope toward the end of the year, simply because I like the look and...Big Gun.
Something 454 Casul maybe a little bigger, no 500's
Researching a Super Redhawk or Smith and Wesson 460
What else should I be looking at?

I'm not sure which one you should get but if you're going to be looking for a holster to go with it I have a new in package holster for a big @$$ revolver I could give you a great deal on :D

I have only worked up one load for my Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel and I put a scope on it and first groups out are about 5" at 100 yards.

why not a super redhawk in 454? it's a really strong revolver. you see them now and then pre-owned in almost new condition for decent prices and almost all come with a box of ammo with 1 round missing from the box. [wink] check out the super redhawks.

op-

Do you own a 44mag? If not i would consider a 629 before going into bigger chamberings. And if you do I would go w a 460 because allows to shoot 460, 454 or 45LC

44 mag is all I need/want to handle lol. Call me a wimp but I shot a 500 mag a couple years ago and it literally hurt to shoot 2 rounds. Yes I reload and yes I know you can download the rounds a bit so there not so harsh but then what's the point of spending $1,000 on a 500 mag, only to shoot lighter loads?...

No I didn't lock my elbows and have a death grip when I shot it either....Never tried 454 or 460. But I got some buffalo bore +p hard cast 44 mag rounds that feel like someone is smashing your palm with a hammer lol.

my experience is similar to Andrew's. to me 44 mag strikes that perfect balance of power without getting silly. i touched off one round of 460 on an indoor range and put the gun down. no thanks. the cost of 44 mag ammo has come down too. if you decide to go with a 460 or 500 i would look on the used market. there are many folks who impulsively buy these revolvers, shoot 2 rounds, then have trouble selling them. it's a buyer's market there.

my experience is similar to Andrew's. to me 44 mag strikes that perfect balance of power without getting silly. i touched off one round of 460 on an indoor range and put the gun down. no thanks. the cost of 44 mag ammo has come down too. if you decide to go with a 460 or 500 i would look on the used market. there are many folks who impulsively buy these revolvers, shoot 2 rounds, then have trouble selling them. it's a buyer's market there.
Yup

I love 44 mag. If I was going bigger I'd do 460 for the multi-caliber options.
This is my fav hand canon at the moment a S&W PC Steath Hunter:

s&w44pcsteath.jpg

She's a bad bitch!

Another vote for 44 mag. One of the most versatile cartridges around and a great round to reload for. Get a 629 or a Ruger Redhawk. I had a S&W 460 XVR and the novelty of it wore off quick.

I have a 460 and aside from the price of factory ammo I have zero regrets. It's accurate and fun to shoot. It draws a response at the range every time you bring it out though .

OP (and any other considering a similar purchase) is welcome to shoot my 44mag SRH 7 1/2" with mounted Red-dot. Comparison between 44spl, 44mag and Buffalo Bore Hardcast is available, and I have a GP100 6" and Lady Radtekk's SP101 357 snubbie available as well. PM's welcome:)

One thing I STRONGLY recommend is Hogue grips. With the finger grooves they move your hand lower and prevent the trigger guard from slamming in to your middle finger. Makes "Ow SHIT!" on the second round turn in to "AHHHHHhhhhhh...."

PM's welcome anytime...

ETA: Oh, the Buffalo Bore ammo is specifically labeled to EXCLUDE S&W revolvers... Just sayin'...

Radtekk’ SRH is what has peaked my interest in a large bore revolver, just wanted mine to be bigger
But after reading these posts I think is be better off with a 44mag and a beginner reloading setup

OP (and any other considering a similar purchase) is welcome to shoot my 44mag SRH 7 1/2" with mounted Red-dot. Comparison between 44spl, 44mag and Buffalo Bore Hardcast is available, and I have a GP100 6" and Lady Radtekk's SP101 357 snubbie available as well. PM's welcome:)

One thing I STRONGLY recommend is Hogue grips. With the finger grooves they move your hand lower and prevent the trigger guard from slamming in to your middle finger. Makes "Ow SHIT!" on the second round turn in to "AHHHHHhhhhhh...."

PM's welcome anytime...

ETA: Oh, the Buffalo Bore ammo is specifically labeled to EXCLUDE S&W revolvers... Just sayin'...

op-

Do you own a 44mag? If not i would consider a 629 before going into bigger chamberings. And if you do I would go w a 460 because allows to shoot 460, 454 or 45LC

If you're making hot .454 loads, you'll never have need for the .460.
45 Colt is pretty mild, but .45 Colt magnum hand loads are hotter than .44 magnum. Larger case, more powder before reaching safe max loads that are safe. Same for the .454. It can be loaded up and down the power scale and still gives you the option to make .45 colt as well.

Back
Top Bottom