• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Biden Magazine/Rifle NFA Tax Stamp Budget

Editing this since some people seem to have poor reading comprehension: The point of this thread is not "will you comply" or "how will a proposed ban work, etc., etc." It's just a budgeting game to see if you had to choose between multiple rifles and fewer magazines or fewer rifles with more magazines, what you would prefer. It is not a "real world" type of thread asking for practical advice or plans. However, unsurprisingly, a large amount of people didn't bother to read the post to understand the premise of the thread.

With Biden becoming president in two weeks and the new Democratic control of both houses of Congress, assuming Biden's wish of adding high capacity magazines and "assault weapons" to the NFA comes to fruition, if you had a budget of, say, $2000 for tax stamps, what would you say is the ideal breakdown in rifles versus magazines, assuming $200 per stamp?

I'm wondering if maybe 3-4 rifles with 2-3 magazines each is the best approach?

So, maybe,

1 AK
1 AR
1 AUG
1 FAL

2 AR mags
2 AK mags
1 AUG mag
1 FAL mag

AR mags being easier/faster to swap than the others, would you rather go with fewer of those since swapping to your backup 10 rounders would be quicker and easier?
In the case of the AUG a standard magazine is 42 rounds, so maybe you could get away with one "high cap" and put that towards another AK mag?

Or, would you prefer to go for something like 2 ARs and a bunch of extra mags, focusing on maximizing your redundancy and pool for one platform?

So, the thought exercise: you have a budget of $2000 to spread across 10 NFA tax stamps for magazines/rifles, how would you spend it?

I'm sure someone will post "will not comply" or similar--for the purposes of this thread I'm not really interested in peoples' opinions on the matter and whether or not it will happen and whether or not the elections were legitimate, etc.

Just more for "fun," if you had to choose on a budget what you would prioritize for your purposes.

ETA: If you say "will not comply" you win the booby prize of 100% confiscation of your firearms and conscription into the antifa cannon fodder brigade.

Last edited:
Why would you intentionally pursue the most registered type of firearm and pay the gov to have it, when your immediate concern appears to be bans? All you'd be doing is paying the ATF $2k to keep a super nice lost of what to take from you and bumping your name up the priority list.

If you have money to build and register a bunch of NFA, take that money and build some 80% guns instead.

I probably won't be doing this, but if I did, I would get down to 1 or 2 platforms. Then your mags interchange, you can spare parts - this would be armageddon stuff and not a situation where owning a bunch of platforms is practical on a budget.

Mags I would go with 2 per rifle, or enough so I have a minimum of 4 of the same available. Only need enough mags so you can go shooting and feel comfortable for a defense situation, if you need to replace a mag just take one from the tube full of them you buried.

**** that.

I'm working on my FFL+SOT paperwork. If I'm going to be paying "gun tax", might as well get access to all the good stuff.

Why would you intentionally pursue the most registered type of firearm and pay the gov to have it, when your immediate concern appears to be bans? All you'd be doing is paying the ATF $2k to keep a super nice lost of what to take from you and bumping your name up the priority list.

If you have money to build and register a bunch of NFA, take that money and build some 80% guns instead.
Right, the idea isn't alternatives, dissecting the ban for flaws or loopholes, my personal feelings about, and so on.
It was purely a "budgeting game" for fun not unlike ones I've seen elsewhere like "you have 15 points to pick your ideal basketball team, Larry Bird is worth 3 points, Jordan is 5, and so on."

You can replace Biden and bans with a hypothetical house fire if you want, with a hypothetical ability to carry ten mags and/or rifles and no chance to replace the items you couldn't rescue from the fire.

I don't understand how 80% lowers solves this problem. Bottom line, if you don't care about the law well no need to NFA no matter what happens, if you do care then you still gotta NFA any 80% lowers you finished. The only benefit is like mags, being unserialized (or self serialized maybe) you could conceivably spare them (likely underground) but lowers are not really a high failure item.

5 AR .223/5.56 mags and 5 AR .308 mags. then you duct tape 2 mags together and 5th is a spare - a usual military set.
.308 will take 6.5CM as well. that gives you a coverage of 2 primary military rounds plus 2 extra. actually, .308 mag will have more extras, so, it depends upon the use case.

5 AR .223/5.56 mags and 5 AR .308 mags. then you duct tape 2 mags together and 5th is a spare - a usual military set.
.308 will take 6.5CM as well. that gives you a coverage of 2 primary military rounds plus 2 extra.
Leaves you with no rifles to shoot them, though. Maybe 4 and 4 and 2 rifles?

I don't understand how 80% lowers solves this problem. Bottom line, if you don't care about the law well no need to NFA no matter what happens, if you do care then you still gotta NFA any 80% lowers you finished. The only benefit is like mags, being unserialized (or self serialized maybe) you could conceivably spare them (likely underground) but lowers are not really a high failure item.

I'm saying skip the NFA builds. Take that money and build more rifles or AR pistols.

**** that.

I'm working on my FFL+SOT paperwork. If I'm going to be paying "gun tax", might as well get access to all the good stuff.
Good move, Kevin. You will then bring in NFA stuff on Form 3s (no tax) and make and register NFA stuff on Form 2s (no tax) with the 07. Hope you are doing 07? Also, you will need a EIN. Jack.

If you go with the "NATO AUG" variant, you gain STANAG magazine interchangeability between the AUG and the AR, at the cost of an even worse trigger than a normal AUG.
Good point. My list was more what I would choose from my own possessions. I'm left handed so my AUG uses the proprietary mags. For righties though, that's a solid point.
The replacement sear makes a world of difference on the AUG trigger, mine's much better now.

I've taken the leftist approach.
I do not comply with laws I don't agree with.
yeah, we know...that's why this was covered in the original post

"I'm sure someone will post 'will not comply' or similar--for the purposes of this thread I'm not really interested in peoples' opinions on the matter and whether or not it will happen and whether or not the elections were legitimate, etc."

yeah, we know...that's why this was covered in the original post

"I'm sure someone will post 'will not comply' or similar--for the purposes of this thread I'm not really interested in peoples' opinions on the matter and whether or not it will happen and whether or not the elections were legitimate, etc."
Ah, so it does. Would have helped if I read the entire thing first!
I'll update.

Good move, Kevin. You will then bring in NFA stuff on Form 3s (no tax) and make and register NFA stuff on Form 2s (no tax) with the 07. Hope you are doing 07? Also, you will need a EIN. Jack.
Correct.

TBH, it was mostly that extra ITAR annual cost which held me back from taking this step (plus most of what I wanted to accomplish was doable as Form-1 builds). The other big unknown is rent (assuming I want a commercial "premises address" in New Hampshire to hang the license on the wall of).

Last edited:
Ah, so it does. Would have helped if I read the entire thing first!
I'll update.
No worries, it's to be expected. I knew there'd be lots of "lol I'm not gonna do that" so that's why I tried to include disclaimers and this was purely a game.

It's NES--any, "hey guys, what do you think about these two specific guns?" threads inevitably end up with 50 posts about "never held or shot those two, but let me tell you about this other gun you didn't ask about"

Leaves you with no rifles to shoot them, though. Maybe 4 and 4 and 2 rifles?
it is practical to have a one non-binded, but, it may be a 10 rounder, for what it matters - i presume those will be tax free? but, who knows.

I guess this would come down to researching shooting competitions.

I'm guessing 3 gun takes one high-cap, but how do the other competitions hold out? There's got to be something out there that uses more magazines.

My biggest fear would be less ak/ar magazines and more mags for my re-enacting guns. M1-c has 15 round mags, chances are if this went through I'd have to register at least 5 of those, my m16-a1 upper probably would want 3 20 rounders, but the real problem's going to be something like the m1917, do I register each link separately or each set of 11?

These guns would be out and visible to the public, and therefore would have a higher risk.

Back
Top Bottom