1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bicycle suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GooseManCometh, Jan 1, 2018.

1. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Yeah, great time of year to get a stupid deal on Bikes. LED lighting has made a big difference in visibility.

For around city use I have a Trek Cyclocross bike, with a powder coated frame, and fenders. And an eBike.

2. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

3. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

I went with a mountain bike on which I put 80PSI 26x2" slicks. Better for those time traffic pushes you into the soft shoulder. Not as stiff as a road bike. More durable than a cross bike.
    I gave my daughter my 20 year old TREK 6500. She uses it on campus.
    Trek will definitely stand up to abuse.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Given the weather this week and last. . . and maybe next, I'd go TAHOE! Get the heated seats. LOL

5. colt_fan

colt_fan NES Member

Thanks for the plug guys! I think that you should ask yourself these questions.
    1. Are you going to commute year round? You'll have to think about studded tires and fenders.
    2. How much stuff do you want to carry? Is it going to be on your back or on a rack.
    3. Where will you be storing this bike at home and at the office? This might help dictate your budget.
    4. Will you use the bike for recreational riding? With a group or own your own.
    5. What kind of terrain will you use the bike on? Charles River path, dirt paths, etc.

Honestly, for a 5 mile commute you don't need to go crazy on a commuter bike for the city. We sell a lot of bikes in the $400 range to "serious" riders that do short commutes in the city. For some of those guys that do longer commutes and ride year round in all kinds of weather, you might want to look into a belt drive bike.

6. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Two wheels. Two wheels...

7. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Given yesterday's and today's weather:

20171210_073532.jpg

[smile]