1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Bicycle suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GooseManCometh, Jan 1, 2018.

1. GooseManCometh

GooseManCometh NES Member

I am looking for suggestions for a new bicycle. I bike to/from work on pavement. Fairly short distances (5 miles round trip each day).
    The bike I have now cost me $100 from a friend of a friend and I think after 5 years with it I am ready to upgrade. I know there are a lot of options, looking for some first hand experience please!

Snora likes this.
  2. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

3. GooseManCometh

Good question. I'm not even entirely sure yet but I definitely am not going to spend three grand or anything that. But maybe up to $1000? Depends on options I guess

4. Stryker

Stryker NES Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. SLG6056

SLG6056 NES Member

Go to a reputable shop and get something that you are comfortable with and fits you properly. A good shop will not try to oversell you. There are many good brands out there, Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.... it's a long list. Don't get hung up on a "good" bike as much as the equipment package, wheelset etc. and FIT, FIT, FIT. Not everything needs to be a $10K Trek Madone. It need to be right for your intended purpose and budget.

Chrisb and StevieP like this.
  6. GooseManCometh

Probably just commuting and general getting around the city when I don't want to drive. I don't foresee anything other than that

Cyclocross... I will look in to that

7. GooseManCometh

Yeah good call, I will hit up a couple shops and see what they say. Can't hurt to go in with some ideas of possibilities though!

8. Arto

Arto

9. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

10. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

The hybrid bikes do neither well.
    Buy quality gear train components.
    Get fit/measured for size.

11. jason19711971

jason19711971 NES Member

I recommend a Felt I have rode them for 13 years and owned 3 models. I put 6k each on them.

12. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

Go talk to Chris at Bikeway Source in Bedford. He's Colt_Fan here on NES and is the owner of the bike shop. Great guy and will talk both Bikes and Guns with you without caring what people in his shop think. Plus he gives NES members a discount. He just completed a significant upgrade to his shop and has bikes from many different makers, experience levels and costs.

JJ4, Garys and StevieP like this.
  13. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

PM Colt_fan, he owns a bike shop

14. Snora

Snora

Assuming your location is up to date I'd just go over to Landry's and sit on a few bikes to see what feels right. Also it's nice to see another NES member that lives in the city and bikes to work- I was starting to feel like the only one.

15. browncoat

browncoat

I bike to work in the city too! Unfortunately my trip doesn't only consist of biking

Snora likes this.
  16. GooseManCometh

Awesome, thanks!

17. GooseManCometh

Oh we're out there!

Snora likes this.
  18. runner328

runner328 NES Member

Check out these adventure bikes and see what makes sense for your commute. Maybe a little pricey but better getting a bike that shifts and brakes in all weather conditions. Bigger tires give a smoother ride.
    Adventure & touring bikes | Trek Bikes
    I'd be all over the 1120 or the 920 if I commuted +/-5 miles. Also these are another options if you don't like showing up sweaty and want to save some commuting time:
    Electric bikes | Trek Bikes

19. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Get one with fenders. Your ass crack will thank you.

20. Enzo

Enzo NES Member

I started with a Trek hybrid then bought a Trek road bike. If you’re staying on pavement the road bike is like a Ferrari compared to a hybrid or even a mountain bike.

21. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Firstly, I'd swing into a shop and figure out what "seating position" is going to work for you. Go to a reputable shop, they should ask you 10-15 questions and select 2-3 styles to let you test ride so you can see what feels best. Flat bars, drop bars, and handling/steering characteristics all affect your comfort, aggressiveness and enjoyment. A short, high reach is generally more comfy but the bike handles pretty lazy and you're really only using your quads (front of thighs). A longer, lower reach puts more body weight out over the front wheel, makes the handling snappier and puts you in a position to engage your glutes (butt muscles) and create more power but it's not comfy for a lot of folks. I'm assuming you'd want flat bars because a 5 mile commute is pretty short but even within the flat bar category there are subcategories like comfort bikes (upright, wide tires, heavier) and fitness bikes (longer, lower reach, narrower tires, lighter weight). Another concern is accommodations for accessories like rear racks and fenders. It's likely that anything you look at (casual bikes) will have rack mounts or "braze-ons" but it's a good idea to make sure that you can just bolt on accessories. I'd steer you towards something that's about $600 and then add any accessories like racks, bags, fenders, bottle cages, lock, helmet, blinky lights, etc. Don't stress out over brand names; Trek, Specialized and Giant are the "big 3" but Raleigh and Jamis might save you a few bucks.

SLG6056 likes this.
  22. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

The Boston store just moved about 4 blocks down Comm Ave and there's a parking lot behind the building. Space is 50% bigger and it's much nicer than the old store.

23. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

They call these "gravel grinders" or "adventure bikes" now. There's a movement to take road riding off-road and avoid all the distracted drivers. Mellow geometry, lots of rack mounts, wider tires and sometimes even suspension. The '18 Specialized Diverge even has a dropper post on it! 27.5+ (mid-fat) with drop bars are the next new thing. History is repeating itself and Tomac's Yeti Tioga is cool again.

Cross bikes are still racy and stripped down, aggressive handling, taller gearing, no rack mounts and sometimes no bottle cage mounts.

24. Garys

Garys NES Member

This. Right now I think he's deep in Nordic Ski season, but definitely stop in and talk to him. Everything Rockrivr1 says is correct.

25. dingbat

dingbat

Whatever you get, go as high a quality, i.e. Far up the line, as you can afford. Commuting puts more wear and tear on a drive train than just about anything.

That said,

Cyclocross bike = quickish, light like road bike but room for tires with more meat (less flats)
    Fenders = You want fenders. You really, really do.
    Rain Gear = You want rain gear. You really, really do.

Depending on weather you only ride in the rain on "Crap, It wasn't supposed to rain!" days, or all the time, you may find a cheap pair of snowboarding goggles something worth having in your kit.

26. kope

kope

Single speed mountain bike ( not a fixed gear ) , at least a 700x40 tire ( with decent tread ) , sitting in the upright position, disc brakes, straight bars , fenders, rack mounts , cushy seat , and led lights. Dodging pot holes and heave cracks , or having to make quick maneuvers on a road bike sucks .

$500 should get you a decent commuter.

27. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Get a fat bike with studded tires;)

dingbat likes this.
  28. Waher

Waher NES Member

You might want to consider a folding bike. Dahons and British Bromptons are very nice.

Do you want a internally geared hub bike with generator lighting or more of a road bike with a derailleur? Drop bars or upright?

29. bfm

bfm NES Member

Now if only our roads were as smooth as race tracks.

Still running my 30 year old Trek mountain bike on street tires.

When I had a road bike I had to straighten or replace rims pretty much yearly.

30. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

There are so many bikes on CL and fb market that you're bound to find exactly what you're looking for.