• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BG380 Dropping Mags While Shooting

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice here. So i picked up a BG380 a few months ago and I've had none of the typical issues except one and this is a random occurrence, but not undocumented with these little guns. Every 50 rounds or so, mags will pop out about a quarter inch while shooting. This is a newer gun with the steel mag release and about 500 rounds down the pipe. This has been fairly consistent. With the gun field stripped the mag release has noticeable play in all directions.

I will note that this issue seems to have only been reported on the older guns with the plastic mag release. In those instances its the same symptom but with a different cause.

Does anybody know of a company who makes an extra power mag release spring?

I know Galloway makes aftermarket mag releases, but i really don't think the mag release itself is the culprit here. With an improved spring, i think the stock release will work perfectly fine. Any suggestions?

Search the same thing I swear there was a thread on this a while back. Wade through 50 posts of people saying it's your fault and there was an actual problem with his gun I believe

Same thing happened with my POS Mosquito. My thumb would just brush up against the release, and on the next round the action would touch the next round and it would drop. I tried changing my grip, but it wouldn't work. Had to get rid of it. To me, no sense keeping it if I can't hold it comfortably and get it to shoot reliably.
If this is the case for you, and this being a defensive gun, not a target gun for play, I'd seriously consider getting rid of it.
You can train yourself at the range to hold it a certain way, but how many rounds to you have to shoot until it becomes muscle memory and you can count on the mag drop not happening if a life or death situation?

It is possible that the mag release is getting brushed while shooting. It is a snappy gun, however a mag release shouldn't activate if its just slightly brushed. As i said, I think the spring is too weak.

I like this gun and there aren't really many other halfway decent pocket guns available in DPRM and I shoot it better than any j frame or LCR ive handled, so I'm not exactly in a rush to ditch it. I'd like to replace that spring before I start heading down that path.

The same happens to me, the trigger is so hard to pull I think my thumb hits the release.

Same thing happens to me as well with my BG. It's been 100% reliable for me other than the occasional mag drop which I attribute to a shift in my grip (usually due to sweaty hands)

wasn't aware of this issue with the bg. when I googled it, tons of comments came up bitching about the same thing. and everyone, I mean everyone, all loved the gun otherwise. since I don't own one i'm just saying what I'd do...send it back. the end user shouldn't have to mess around with their grip or be changing springs. again, just sayin'.

My GF has one. Awesome little gun. It is a little bigger than what I'd consider to be a viable pocket gun though.

I got it for my wife when she got here LTC, but your right it is a little bigger than the BG, I have pocket carried it in a suit/dress pants. It's such a soft shooter for a small gun. My G19 rips my hand open from slide bite but the 42 nothing, go figure.
Back on topic, is it just a straight spring? Not the best solution but maybe you could try one from something like a 42 and cut it to the same size, if no aftermarket are available.

Last edited:
Back on topic, is it just a straight spring? Not the best solution but maybe you could try one from something like a 42 and cut it to the same size, if no aftermarket are available.

Its a wire spring which appears to be anchored on the left hand side of the frame then bends over and goes straight down to a slot in the mag release. It's the same type of setup as on a Glock but likely not similar enough to be cross compatible.

That's why in the old days those small guns all had the mag release on the bottom of the mag, like the Seecamp does. Your bumping the mag release.

Send it in to S&W (once you're sure it's the gun).

Smith's build quality is mediocre, but their customer service is quite good IMO.

My Body guard's safety was so stiff I had to shift my hand position to disengage it, and I almost needed a tool to engage it. Also, it would drop the slide when I inserted a mag unless I was real gentle. I called Customer Service, they emailed me a FedEx label and a few weeks later the gun was all good.

Also, they'll never learn to make quality guns unless we all make them fix the problems they ship.

My GF has one. Awesome little gun. It is a little bigger than what I'd consider to be a viable pocket gun though.

I used to think the same thing.. bought a G43 and use the same style pocket holster one size up from the one for my BG and I now carry it everywhere. I wear cargo's all the time so the pockets are deep enough that I don't notice much difference in size. My BG has the mag release issues while loading a mag and is picky with ammo so I was more than happy to replace it with a better firearm and 9mm being an even bigger plus. I always use the best tool for the job mentality and at the time the BG was the pocket gun I hated the least despite its flaws. I'm not the least bit unhappy to shelve it though now that I've found a better tool!

I used to think the same thing.. bought a G43 and use the same style pocket holster one size up from the one for my BG and I now carry it everywhere. I wear cargo's all the time so the pockets are deep enough that I don't notice much difference in size. My BG has the mag release issues while loading a mag and is picky with ammo so I was more than happy to replace it with a better firearm and 9mm being an even bigger plus. I always use the best tool for the job mentality and at the time the BG was the pocket gun I hated the least despite its flaws. I'm not the least bit unhappy to shelve it though now that I've found a better tool!

I refuse to believe your avatar is a photo of a floor lamp!

When the heck is S&W going to make a striker fired BG 380 ?

That would make too much sense. Instead they made that stupid .380 shield EZ thing with an internal SAO hammer... [rolleyes]

To the guys telling me to adjust my grip, I don't think that's the issue. I took down the finger grooves and stippled anywhere where theres a point of contact. I now get a very positive grip and shoot the gun quite accurately. As stated before, the mag release is loose, there is visible play in it... because the spring is under powered. Mags should not drop if the mag release is lightly brushed.

I guess I'll just send it back and let them deal with it. A G43 is sounding better and better every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom