• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beverly Man Arrested For Woburn Road Rage Incident

commodon

NES Member
Massachusetts State Police arrested a Beverly man early Tuesday morning after he allegedly pointed a gun at another motorist. Jason Root, 37, of Beverly, was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning in Woburn District Court on charges of operating under the influence of liquor, assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, reckless operation of a motor vehicle and resisting arrest.

State Police responded to a report of a crash on the southbound side of Interstate 95 just before Exit 36. Root was standing outside of his 2014 Jeep Cherokee when police arrived and told state troopers that there was a firearm he was licensed to carry on the seat of the vehicle. Root had struck an SUV, according to police reports.

Prior to the crash, police had received a call from a driver who said his SUV had been rear-ended by a black Jeep Cherokee on Route 93 southbound. The caller said the driver had tried to run him off the road several times. Fearing for his safety, the driver turned onto 95 southbound.

On 95, Root allegedly pulled his car and came to a stop in front of the vehicles car in the middle lane. The victim told police Root exited his vehicle and approached his car, screaming. He also pointed a gun at the victim, who ducked and then sped away and called police. A license plate number he gave to police matched the plate on Root's Jeep.

After conducting field sobriety tests, police determined Root was intoxicated. he resisted arrest, according to police before being taken to the Danvers State Police Barracks.

Beverly Man Arrested For Woburn Road Rage Incident

Driving drunk, road rage, and brandishing. Quite the day he had.

tumblr_mt2z1uf7rM1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

So on the news the victim said the guy came flying up behind him at about 90mph and rear-ended him.

I am not making an excuse for what happened but it usually takes two to tango. And the instigators almost always turn into the victims.

So what did victim boy do to piss this guy off? None of it will matter in court. The rageman's guns and license are rights are gone in every part of this nation. And he will most likely do some jail time. But for someone on a highway to get up to 90 to smash you from behind there has to be some distance between you and a reason. So what happened? We never get that part of it.

Still, no excuse...just for my own curiosity.

So on the news the victim said the guy came flying up behind him at about 90mph and rear-ended him.

I am not making an excuse for what happened but it usually takes two to tango. And the instigators almost always turn into the victims.

So what did victim boy do to piss this guy off? None of it will matter in court. The rageman's guns and license are rights are gone in every part of this nation. And he will most likely do some jail time. But for someone on a highway to get up to 90 to smash you from behind there has to be some distance between you and a reason. So what happened? We never get that part of it.

Still, no excuse...just for my own curiosity.
or maybe he was drunk, speeding, and not paying attention. Then, feeling that he was wronged (cut off?) he escalated all the way up on his own. Because he's the kind of person who cavalierly gets drunk then races down the highway without paying attention.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

On 95, Root allegedly pulled his car and came to a stop in front of the vehicles car in the middle lane. The victim told police Root exited his vehicle and approached his car, screaming. He also pointed a gun at the victim, who ducked and then sped away and called police.

He's lucky that he didn't cause some massive fatal crash. Has anything good ever come from road raging? It's probably less productive than internet forum arguing if that's possible.

or maybe he was drunk, speeding, and not paying attention. Then, feeling that he was wronged (cut off?) he escalated all the way up on his own. Because he's the kind of person who cavalierly gets drunk then races down the highway without paying attention.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

speculation on my part too. and your scenario is just as plausible. The victim sounded whinny to me....I got the feeling he was one of those self appointed guardians of the roadway. Yo see an issue call a cop. Don't escalate it. Again, speculation om my part. But that was my sense when he spoke off camera because he was afraid of retaliation form the rager... I hope he understands that the rager has a constitutional right to face his accuser. So his anonymity will run out...

speculation on my part too. and your scenario is just as plausible. The victim sounded whinny to me....I got the feeling he was one of those self appointed guardians of the roadway. Yo see an issue call a cop. Don't escalate it. Again, speculation om my part. But that was my sense when he spoke off camera because he was afraid of retaliation form the rager... I hope he understands that the rager has a constitutional right to face his accuser. So his anonymity will run out...
what part of that short article made the victim sound whiny? people shouldn't call the police if they are getting rear ended by a douche bag?

When someone stops in front of me I go around them.

This reminds me of that Jet Blue commercial when they first came out....

"We flew to California"

"Why did you do that"

"That's were the plane goes"

Yes, it sometimes can be that simple. But there are other times people just want to eff with you because...

It's happened to me. I'm sure it's happened to us all. The control we have is how we respond...this should never be the response.

what part of that short article made the victim sound whiny? people shouldn't call the police if they are getting rear ended by a douche bag?

My first post in this thread I mentioned the victim was interviewed on the news...I saw that interview yesterday in the AM. Not condoning this at all. Just pointing out that there are instigators out there. This guy sounded like he could have been that type.

My first post in this thread I mentioned the victim was interviewed on the news...I saw that interview yesterday in the AM.
ah, got it. however, I might sound a bit whiny under the same circumstances - being chased down a road, rear ended, blocked on a highway and a gun waved at me.

Years ago - probably a decade or so, I was driving home from church one rainy Wednesday night with my 11 yo daughter.

About a half-mile from my home, this car comes SCREAMING up behind me and tailgates. "Don't worry, Sam. We're turning in a minute."

We turn into our development. HE FOLLOWS!

I mean ON. MY. ASS. WTF,O??? I was the only car for miles when we left the church. What is going on.

I get on the phone to my wife to call 911 and as I slowly drive down my street (it's a cul-de-sac - I was gonna turn around and head to the PO) he passes me and slams on the brakes.

"Sam, get down!"

We idle in that configuration for about 3 min. Now the Po-po are being alerted. (As if that was a big freaking deal to them. Ugh.)

Something is wrong. He's waving me past with a cigarette in his hand. No furtive movements. No ranting. Not getting out of car. ??????

We drive slowly past. Dude is COMPLETELY drunk off his gourd.

"Dude. Dude. Dude. Got any cigarettes???? I'll follow you, dude."

It was surreal. The cops weren't much help until AFTER he crashed, FWIW. That pissed me off. But I can totally see a drunk guy coming up, hitting someone and thinking it was THEIR fault.

My first post in this thread I mentioned the victim was interviewed on the news...I saw that interview yesterday in the AM. Not condoning this at all. Just pointing out that there are instigators out there. This guy sounded like he could have been that type.

The victim was interviewed below. He sounded like someone who survived an encounter with terrible person and was happy to be alive. Not sure how you suspect he's a whiny instigator. The reporter also states that the drunk driver's family is probably not bailing him out. That might mean something about his character.

Man Accused Of Driving Drunk, Pointing Gun At Another Car On I-95

The victim was interviewed below. He sounded like someone who survived an encounter with terrible person and was happy to be alive. Not sure how you suspect he's a whiny instigator. The reporter also states that the drunk driver's family is probably not bailing him out. That might mean something about his character.

My dad always told me not to call him if I were arrested because he wouldn’t bail me out.

I looked at it as taking responsibility for my actions.

That's the interview I saw. He sounds whinny to me. It's just how I hear it. All I'm asking is to know the whole story. Speculation is he is an innocent victim driving up the highway in the middle of the night at a high rate of speed. So did he do something to set this other mushroom off?

Again, it usually takes two to tango. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the idiot was right for playing smash up derby with him or pulling the gun. So please do not interpret that as my meaning.

As for the family not bailing him out....more PC BS from his family. Just cowering to public opinion. If I had the money I'd bail him out just so the snowflakes heads would explode.

That's the interview I saw. He sounds whinny to me. It's just how I hear it. All I'm asking is to know the whole story. Speculation is he is an innocent victim driving up the highway in the middle of the night at a high rate of speed. So did he do something to set this other mushroom off?

Again, it usually takes two to tango. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the idiot was right for playing smash up derby with him or pulling the gun. So please do not interpret that as my meaning.

As for the family not bailing him out....more PC BS from his family. Just cowering to public opinion. If I had the money I'd bail him out just so the snowflakes heads would explode.

Really? I was driving to work one morning, around 3:30 am and drunk went flying by me and took my mirror off, a;most ran me into the medium. and guess what? I was just minding my own self, going to work, never saw the a-hole coming. But I did follow the car to it's house, turned out it was a woman who had closed out a bar in Haverhill and guess what? this was her third DWI. I was on the phone with the cops right to her door and they dragged her out and slapped the cuffs on her. I know, the NES brain trust thinks it's OK to drive drunk I have no use for that crap.

Really? I was driving to work one morning, around 3:30 am and drunk went flying by me and took my mirror off, a;most ran me into the medium. and guess what? I was just minding my own self, going to work, never saw the a-hole coming. But I did follow the car to it's house, turned out it was a woman who had closed out a bar in Haverhill and guess what? this was her third DWI. I was on the phone with the cops right to her door and they dragged her out and slapped the cuffs on her. I know, the NES brain trust thinks it's OK to drive drunk I have no use for that crap.

of course there can be many different circumstances surrounding these events. You didn't see the car. In the interview he knew the car came up behind him and approximated the speed.

Soo I just want to know if he instigated the confrontation. I'm not condoning anything the former gun owner did. I just don't think the alleged victim is as innocent as all that.

But good on you for getting another drunk off the road.

sometimes alcoholic family members are better off left to suffer the consequences of their actions......ask me how I know.

Lesson

If you drink don’t drive.
If you drink and drive don’t carry.
If you drink, drive and carry don’t think stupid.

Break checks have never scared me but I would avoid driving drunk, armed and stupid.
Meatloaf said “Two out of three ain’t bad”.

Soo I just want to know if he instigated the confrontation. I'm not condoning anything the former gun owner did. I just don't think the alleged victim is as innocent as all that.

Dude if this guy was saucing I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt... not even close. This whole incident sounds like "got sauced, acted irrationally, in typical
saucer fashion."

ETA: This happened late at night on 95. The odds of a real random rager incident on a mostly empty highway? Good luck with that.... unless someone is on the sauce, of course... [rofl] then logic and reason go out the window.

-Mike

Last edited:
I think the “victim” gave a tailgater a break job, thereby pissing the drunk off !

That's when driving a stick shift comes in handy. Someone's on your ass, drop it two gears and let the clutch out. Catches them off guard with no brake lights and they usually back off.

Dude if this guy was saucing I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt... not even close. This whole incident sounds like "got sauced, acted irrationally, in typical
saucer fashion."

ETA: This happened late at night on 95. The odds of a real random rager incident on a mostly empty highway? Good luck with that.... unless someone is on the sauce, of course... [rofl] then logic and reason go out the window.

-Mike

his behavior is totally unacceptable and obviously criminal. I believe the rager was drunk...totally trashed perhaps... I'm just not going to give victimboy a pass without more details. Perhaps this was unprovoked....but this is Mass and you have instigators and he sounds like an instigator to me. Drunkie might remember what set him off if anything.

IN NO WAY does it excuse what he did. I have driven Mass roads all my life. I have seen my share of trouble makers who initiate crap as I am sure most on here have as well. It is not out of the ordinary for someone to do something stupid but when they get called out as could be the possibility in this case and they back down they turn into whiney b#thces.

Smashing people's cars and pulling guns in most cases is stupid if you are the aggressor. So this guy is screwed. Even if victim boy started it nothing will happen to him because...well....gunz.

Back
Top Bottom