Better carry gun 9mm PPS or Kahr PM9 ?

glockstar

NES Member
Looking to purchase a new carry gun for 2011 and would love some imput on these two. I know the PM is more expensive but thats not my main concern. Reliability and Concealability are my focus, along with mag capacity and accuracy. Any first hand experience with either is much appreciated.

Thanks.

They both have the same capacity, so that's a wash. I haven't handled the PPS. It looks a bit bigger to me than the PM9, but I can't say for sure. I have a PM9 and I regard it as purely a pocket pistol. If you are going to be carrying in a belt holster, you can carry something that is larger and easier to shoot.

Not a big fan of the Walther pistols, I do have the PM9 and like it a lot. That being said I have no experience with the PPS but the PM9 is a nice carry piece.

The PPS is more of a "light IWB gun" and the PM9 is right on the edge of pocket class. They're not the same size, that's for sure. The PPS is considerably less expensive. If you're not going to pocket carry it, the PPS is probably the better value, assuming you can find someone to repair the MA trigger.

-Mike

Eh-hem...

images
[wink]

They do show up in the classifides.[grin]

I have no experience with the PPS, but do own the PM9. It is highly concealable, very comfortable, and highly accurate. I would highly recommend it. However, it does not like aluminum casings or 147gr. Brass and smaller grains are best, 110 - 124.... No issues with any JHP's.

Also, in the event you want to install a laser, I have found the ARMALASER to be a better design than the Crimson Trace Laser in this case.... The CTL kept "biting" my finger due to the ridges along the trigger guard. I have many CTL's on other weapons, and they are great, just in this case I feel the ARMALASER is better.

Good luck.

Eh-hem...

images
[wink]

They do show up in the classifides.[grin]

Thats like saying the fat girl and the thin girl are the same size because they're the same height.

The Glock 26 is BARELY an IWB gun. Its the same thickness as any other 9/40 glock, even if its short.
The Kahr can actually go in your pocket. Its MUCH thinner and MUCH easier to conceal.
Also, as far as length and height, the 26 is about the size of a P9, not a PM9

And just to put it all out. I owned a 26. I wanted to love it. I actually did really enjoy shooting it, especially with the pinkee extension like your pic shows. But I never carried it. It was fatter than my 1911s!!!

I shot a Glock 34 in IDPA for 10 years.. I still have the gun. Its a great gun.

But the Kahr is a CARRY gun. Thin and light, and strangely, capable of amazing accuracy.
The other great thing about the Kahr is that it functions exactly like a glock. So if you shoot a 34 in matches, your going to be able to work instinctively with the Kahr.

To the OP. If you intend to carry in a belt holster, you might want to consider the P9. Its a little longer in the bbl and grip. It holds 1 more round and allows you to get your pinkee on the grip.
To me a P9 is a great IWB gun. The PM9 is a great pocket gun.

Don

Last edited:
I'm also going to have to vote for the PM9 in this case. Worth the money and will disappear in a pocket. I love all my pistols but the PM9 goes everywhere with me

FWIW I've been carrying a PPS 9mm for quite a while now in a IWB holster. Has been my daily carry. It seems to be just the right size for me. I have owned and carried a PM9. Personally I prefer the Walther. Now, that being said, my youngest son just picked up a new G27 and really hasn't given me his opinion on daily carry yet.

Thats like saying the fat girl and the thin girl are the same size because they're the same height.

The Glock 26 is BARELY an IWB gun. Its the same thickness as any other 9/40 glock, even if its short.

[rofl]

Barely? You have got to be f-ing kidding me. The doublestack 9/40 glocks are some of the easiest guns to carry IWB out there. A G26 is a pretty logical choice.

IMHO the G26 is more like the girl with the hourglass shape. She has a little more junk in the trunk, BFD.... not an issue with IWB carry, although it more or less DQs the gun for pocket carry due to the width.

-Mike

My vote would be the pm9. I have one of them and love it. As for the glock, a 33 is my EDC, love that even more! There is an awesome deal in the handgun forum from shepherd on a g27 gen 3 for $600! If I didn't have the 33 I would snap that up in a heartbeat. If you wanna try either, let me know, I have a 27 barrel for my 33 so you can see what a 27 shoots like.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...S-Glock-27-and-Glock-23-both-Third-generation

Last edited:
I really don't like the mini glocks. They are a little thick for their hight and almost everyone gets a finger ext that makes the grip the size of a compact. I like the g23 for carry and the pm40 for pocket / warm weather carry.

I put some rounds through a pps and I hated the mag release. Just could not warm up to it.

Wow, the PPS is not getting much love here. I personally think the PPS on my left hip right now feels pretty good. That being said, I haven't tried a PM9 so I can't compare the two.

My PPS has a non-MA trigger, but I've owned one with the MA trigger and it is tolerable, just a little heavier. Mine has been 100% reliable, carries great, and is a great little shooter, plus it fits my hand perfectly. In my opinion, it's about the perfect size for IWB and disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Wow, the PPS is not getting much love here. I personally think the PPS on my left hip right now feels pretty good. That being said, I haven't tried a PM9 so I can't compare the two.
The PM9 is not a gun that I carry on my hip. It is specifically a pocket gun. If I'm going to carry on my hip, I can conceal a bigger gun that is easier to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom