Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

OK, I finally got around to filling in the raised beds. Do I need more soil than this? I have a few bags left but I was going to use them for the planters. The beds themselves are 7.5" tall.
Fill them up to heaping, the soil will settle a lot when planted and watered.

Bagged soil is always fluffy when handled, what you think is full will settle about 20%.

Depending on what you are growing, 6 inches is about the normal depth for roots. Too shallow and they may get too warm. Also plan to water frequently, beds dry out rather quickly compared to planting in the ground.

I used to do something similar in our family garden as a kid. I would dig a shallow pit about 18 inches deep in the fall and fill it with all the tree trimmings, grass clippings and dry leaves that I mulched up with the lawn mower. Over the winter it would compost and settle. We always had rich black soil to work with in the spring when it was time to plant, and TONS of worms!!

Last edited:
I put in some 12 hour days and got the garden finally going with pavers and gravel around it. I planted a dozen strawberry and a few raspberries. I also picked up 2 pear, 2 apple, a cherry and a plum tree.

Also processed more firewood so now I got like 10 cords maybe. Thats about 2 seasons worth plus some for my outdoor pit. Need to build a firewood shed next. The price of lumber is too damn high though!

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_183431227.jpg
    IMG_20220501_183431227.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220425_112122727.jpg
    IMG_20220425_112122727.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220502_124125274.jpg
    IMG_20220502_124125274.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 9
I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who is currently on vacation in France. He said the one big topic in the news there is farming. Apparently gas is so expensive that a lot of farmers switched to just producing canola oil as a fuel additive. All of sudden people are concerned that nobody's farming actual food!

Found some plants that needed to be separated. Roma and beefsteak, which oddly enough are from the same seed packets we had issues with last year.

Pruned what I could of the handful that are showing signs of illness and will keep them apart from the rest. If they make it to the end of the month I'll plant either in buckets or the front lawn far from the main garden. See how they do.

Attachments

• 20220503_205247.jpg
    20220503_205247.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220503_205230.jpg
    20220503_205230.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 4
Found some plants that needed to be separated. Roma and beefsteak, which oddly enough are from the same seed packets we had issues with last year.

Pruned what I could of the handful that are showing signs of illness and will keep them apart from the rest. If they make it to the end of the month I'll plant either in buckets or the front lawn far from the main garden. See how they do.
I had the same on my Roma tomatoes this year, It went away when I hardened them off over a few cloudy days before transplanting. It is a form of sunburn on the thin leaves from lighting when moved outside from indoors. The new leaves don't show any of it.

Not, saying that is what you've got, but it sure looks familiar...

I had the same on my Roma tomatoes this year, It went away when I hardened them off over a few cloudy days before transplanting. It is a form of sunburn on the thin leaves from lighting when moved outside from indoors. The new leaves don't show any of it.

Not, saying that is what you've got, but it sure looks familiar...

Haven't brought them outside yet, won't be planting till end of May (my better half sets that schedule, I just do what I'm told...)

I thought about potential scalding from the light I have over them. Originally noticed it on Friday and turned the light down a bit and did the weekend stuff of being too busy to check back in on the plants. Checked on Monday and there wasn't much change. Watered on Tuesday and noticed some of the leaves were worse so figured I would just pull those impacted out.

Looks like early blight to me based on my google-fu.

Where are you that you've already got maters in the ground? I'm west of 495, past Worcester. Past three years of weather data in my backyard for May says I've got another week or so till I'm fully clear of potential frost.

Attachments

• MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2021.png
    MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2021.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 3
  • MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2020.png
    MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2020.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 3
  • MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2019.png
    MA-Weather-Conditions_MAY-2019.png
    26 KB · Views: 3
Haven't brought them outside yet, won't be planting till end of May (my better half sets that schedule, I just do what I'm told...)

I thought about potential scalding from the light I have over them. Originally noticed it on Friday and turned the light down a bit and did the weekend stuff of being too busy to check back in on the plants. Checked on Monday and there wasn't much change. Watered on Tuesday and noticed some of the leaves were worse so figured I would just pull those impacted out.

Looks like early blight to me based on my google-fu.

Where are you that you've already got maters in the ground? I'm west of 495, past Worcester. Past three years of weather data in my backyard for May says I've got another week or so till I'm fully clear of potential frost.
I'm in the Merrimac Valley between some good hills. I transplant first week of May. Many years. No issues yet, 🤞 (My Last Frost Date is May 5th)

I have been thinking over the last 2 months that I may try something new for next season. Zero starts.
No indoor/early seedlings. No lamps. Direct Sow plants only. Like My Yankee forefathers did. I will try to learn what works for me and what doesn't. When to sow and when to reap.

I have become too dependent on modern techniques (lol) and want to learn how to grow things within my regional means.

I keep asking myself: What if I had only Sun, Soil & Water? And, of course, limited Season...

My direct sown Spinach (mid-April) already has quarter-sized true leaves. Will be harvesting baby spinach in 3 weeks and culling the herd...

You have a fungal infection...

Follow the instructions and apply as foliar spray. Prune what diseased parts you can. Apply weekly as certain breeds of tomatoes, like big beef, are prone to blight and rust.

You're welcome:
Amazon product ASIN B00VXQG23OView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXQG23O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I have become too dependent on modern techniques (lol) and want to learn how to grow things within my regional means.

All hand tools, no chemicals, saving seed and preserving your harvest…

Stuff every gardener should know.

Anybody else growing any of these? I have egg layers and have processed a couple chickens in the past. But nowhere near this many and never my own start to finish. These should be ready late June and I have another batch coming in early July.

View attachment 615352
Did this a few years ago.Started 10 of them in the garage in March and they were in the coop for June.
I remember it took quite a while to get rid of all tje dust they created inside.
My last one died of old age last Fall. I was thinking of taking a break,but you just gave me that maternal jolt again.

Here's the West end of the garden plot at about a quarter to three. Neighbor's tree has grown quite a bit since last year, thinking about bribing the beavers at the club to head down this way and do their thing.

Still looking at a solid six to seven hours of sun on this end before the shade kicks in. Caution tape 'cause my pup likes to cut corners when chasing the rabbits. Planning to put chicken wire up this weekend and maybe start transplanting late next week.

20220513_144154.jpg

I finally got the landscape fabric around the boxes:
20220513_154731.jpg

When the weather gets better again I have to get the back boxes prepped (for cukes and squash, some more lettuces, ...) - then, for my next trick:

Drip irrigation!

iu

[party]

View attachment 615761

When the weather gets better again I have to get the back boxes prepped (for cukes and squash, some more lettuces, ...) - then, for my next trick:

Drip irrigation!

iu

[party]
Nice, I have one of those fake owls, the following year after I got it, I saw a bird sitting on it's head. I have a picture of that around somewhere.

View attachment 615761

Drip irrigation!

iu

[party]
I have some drip irrigation being delivered today. Standing around and watering is for suckers. I’m also very tempted to put my tomatoes and peppers in the ground this weekend. I know it’s a gamble but they are huge and temps look good.

Holey anal retentive raised bed gardening man!

Reminds me of this guy on SNL... [rofl]

View attachment 615762
When you have a business, you discover you don't have a lot of assing-around-time. Free time is free, then shit gets crazy. Get as much of your mise as you can en place when time permits.

Here's the West end of the garden plot at about a quarter to three. Neighbor's tree has grown quite a bit since last year, thinking about bribing the beavers at the club to head down this way and do their thing.

Still looking at a solid six to seven hours of sun on this end before the shade kicks in. Caution tape 'cause my pup likes to cut corners when chasing the rabbits. Planning to put chicken wire up this weekend and maybe start transplanting late next week.

View attachment 615732
Have you considered planting plants that do well in partial shade in that area?

1652476329212.png

View attachment 615761

Drip irrigation!

iu

[party]

Trying to talk the wife into drip irrigation. Major talking point? "You wont have to go out and water anymore..."

We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom