Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

Memorial Day has always been the rule here in the 'Shire. I usually sneak most of my seeds in about 2 weeks before that.
I never start my own seedlings indoors. I have a great local farm that will have everything I need for really cheap prices.
Is it possible to save seeds from store bought veggies to plant later?
Yes. I have saved squash and tomato seeds with great success.
heirloom varieties will do better.

For seeds I don't save, I get most of my seeds from here.

It might be hit or miss but yes, it is possible.

Easier and more reliable to just buy heirloom seeds and save your own. Would be a bitch to have to rely on a garden for food and have more odds stacked against you, like weather, soil, moisture AND an unknown seed variety that may not produce.

If you are going to try using source vegetables for viable seeds, start in the organic section. and with heirloom varieties if you can find them. This will give you the best chance of getting
germination and healthy production.

Many items are sprayed with growth/sprout inhibitors and dusted with anti-rot powders...

Last edited:
It might be hit or miss but yes, it is possible.

Easier and more reliable to just buy heirloom seeds and save your own. Would be a bitch to have to rely on a garden for food and have more odds stacked against you, like weather, soil, moisture AND an unknown seed variety that may not produce.
The other benefit to this method is that you know what you cultivated was SUCCESSFUL in your area, and YOUR SOIL. Choose seed stock from the healthiest, tastiest examples from
produce that had the least amount of disease or any signs of weakness.

Again @enbloc is on point as I've been meaning to order some seeds.
So I did, once reading this.
:)

I've been using this place with decent luck.

Vet owned.

I was in Walmart today for a little shopping, and they had small, off-brand seed packets for .50 cents that were mostly flowers in little tiny boxes. The manager was there so I asked him when the big displays of seeds were coming in, because they usually started now. He said the supplier can't get them into the Walmart chain until end of February, beginning of March. But who knows...

Wife and I already ordered seeds and she's been picking up cheapo depot seeds whenever she's out shopping.

Grabbed a grow tent for seed starts this year, enough space for 4 1020 flats. If needed, we can start additional seeds in the basement with the purchase of heat mats. We are looking at starting close to twice what we did last year.

Sharing is caring.

Couple of T5HO bulbs over 50 cell trays for seed starts pulling 54W. LED board up top for when they get too big for the 50 cell trays and need to be moved into something a little bigger. LED board obviously pulls more W so I'm not running that till absolutely required. Waiting on a HD trip so I can pick up materials to build out a rack so the trays aren't on the floor.

Temps hold steady around 72 with the fan on, should show improvements on germination over past years.

Few more varieties and I'll need to start them in 72 cell trays...

20220202_205337.jpg

My wife is into it big time and one of the places that she ordered from sent her a letter explaining that they had to cancel her order due to a "crop failure" from their supplier. Not a big problem as she orders from multiple places, but wondering if it is a sign of things to come.

I usually pick up organic potatoes from the grocery store, quarter them and plant. Im going to try a potato tower this year. My potatoes never last from fall til spring. I need a cooler, dryer storage space.
View attachment 572287
Have you tried layered straw in cardboard boxes? Do not seal box with tape to allow some air to circulate and place boxes on a cool cement or tile floor.
Try not to let taters touch, then add a layer of straw and repeat. Top layer with straw, no potatoes.
A few poked holes in each side of the box also helps with air flow.

1643912780389.png

Have you tried layered straw in cardboard boxes? Do not seal box with tape to allow some air to circulate and place boxes on a cool cement or tile floor.
Try not to let taters touch, then add a layer of straw and repeat. Top layer with straw, no potatoes.
A few poked holes in each side of the box also helps with air flow.

View attachment 572383
Do you put grow lights on them? Is this just to get them started and then move outside when frost isn't going to be a problem?

Do you put grow lights on them? Is this just to get them started and then move outside when frost isn't going to be a problem?
Sounded like he was referring to storage after the fact.

Yep. For Winter Storage. Separate out the seed stock you want for next year and straw-layer it. Who knows what you'll be able to find when you need it.

I have not done potatoes since before covid... So, I don't have any starter spuds for next year. Won't let that happen again...

I do have LED grow lights, but I don't use them for spuds. I direct-sow when the soil warms up in late April/early May and pull "new" potatoes in Sept. and finish harvest in late Oct,
when greens have dies off...

Potatoes will be an essential crop if grocery supplies fail... Waltham squash too.

Remember: It's nice if you can grow all that you need; but if you don't have a lot of room, or even just an apartment terrace. Grow Something!

Last edited:
Sharing is caring.

Couple of T5HO bulbs over 50 cell trays for seed starts pulling 54W. LED board up top for when they get too big for the 50 cell trays and need to be moved into something a little bigger. LED board obviously pulls more W so I'm not running that till absolutely required. Waiting on a HD trip so I can pick up materials to build out a rack so the trays aren't on the floor.

Temps hold steady around 72 with the fan on, should show improvements on germination over past years.

Few more varieties and I'll need to start them in 72 cell trays...

View attachment 572253

What are you doing in that grow tent when not growing tomatoes.... I know what you're up to brotato...

Again @enbloc is on point as I've been meaning to order some seeds.
So I did, once reading this.
:)

I've been using this place with decent luck.

Vet owned.
PS: seeds arrived today. -bout a week since ordered.

Wife and I already ordered seeds and she's been picking up cheapo depot seeds whenever she's out shopping.

Grabbed a grow tent for seed starts this year, enough space for 4 1020 flats. If needed, we can start additional seeds in the basement with the purchase of heat mats. We are looking at starting close to twice what we did last year.
When do you usually start?

Sounded like he was referring to storage after the fact.
I tried a similar method with carrots from last season. I used sawdust though (nice and dry).
I ended up with a box of carrot raisins.
:(

On another note, is it about time to germinate cold crops?
-broc
-cauli
-sprouts

Back
Top Bottom