• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

OK. Tomatoes, of course, are done. Actually, the tail end came in as greenies a week or so ago and are ripening in the house, and we got a nice last blast of fried green tomatoes last weekend.

The greens are doing very well. The kales of course, but also the fall 'scarole, chard, and kohlrabi, and even the salad greens (which I have to protect from frosts with sheets). Tonight's dinner was a Big Salad, featuring some baby chard, beet greens, tatsoi, red spinach, baby pak choi, arugula, black seeded simpson lettuce, and that mustard green we like to call Carl Lettuce. This was dressed lightly with oil and vinegar, and topped with pan-seared elk and caramelized onions, drizzled with a sauce recipe due to Ming Tsai (probably not original to him: equal parts Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, with a squirt of sriracha, though he used sambal). Garnished with nasturtiums (also still going strong).

20221028_162338.jpg

Incidentally, the closest thing I can think of to those nasturtiums - which everyone describes as "peppery" - in terms of flavor-profile would be Grains of Paradise.

I’m still eating zukes, a few red tomatoes, cherry toms, peppers, and herbs. Got a paper bag with several green maters on hold. My carrots are close to harvest, I’ve still got a few red cherry tomatoes and banana peppers growing in their containers. I’ll be picking tomorrow and bringing in the pepper plant to a sunny spot. There’s lots of small new peppers on it. ☺️

I’m still eating zukes, a few red tomatoes, cherry toms, peppers, and herbs. Got a paper bag with several green maters on hold. My carrots are close to harvest, I’ve still got a few red cherry tomatoes and banana peppers growing in their containers. I’ll be picking tomorrow and bringing in the pepper plant to a sunny spot. There’s lots of small new peppers on it. ☺️
giphy.gif

Twenty lemon seeds in the pots, six in the bag. They'll be on a 12 on /12 off cycle with the grow light.
View attachment 658477

Thanks for the advice, let's hope the seeds weren't ruined after being frozen for a year!
Sadly, the frozen storage must have prevented germination, as none of the seeds started under the grow light. However, we were able to visit the old house and harvest a few lemons. PXL_20221029_213958745.jpg

The smaller lemons are coming back with us whole, the larger will be processed shortly.

That's the ticket! Good luck on preserving your lady's Heritage. Grandma would have loved this! ~Matt

I thought the large lemons felt oddly light. Turns out the decision to process them was the right one. As of now, I have over 40 germinated seeds in damp paper towels and quart Ziplock bags. IMG_20221029_175623_01.jpg

Some are going to the future mother-in-law, the rest with the bride and I back to MA in a couple days. First though, our wedding on Monday!

I thought the large lemons felt oddly light. Turns out the decision to process them was the right one. As of now, I have over 40 germinated seeds in damp paper towels and quart Ziplock bags.

Some are going to the future mother-in-law, the rest with the bride and I back to MA in a couple days. First though, our wedding on Monday!
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials ! [cheers]

May you find happiness and satisfaction in your work. May daily problems never cause you undue anxiety, nor the desire for earthly possessions dominate your lives. But may your hearts' first desire be always the good things waiting for you in the life if Heaven.

1667112008892.png

Last edited:
I cannot state how great the Maine Potato Lady's seeds spuds are. I believe I've gotten about 98% viability from her seed stock and these are grown in Maine
so they are really suited to New England soil and weather conditions...

I will post back when her 2023 Season spuds are ready for ordering. If you order later, you get the seed spuds later. Early is key...

Maine Potato Lady - Your Source for quality Maine seed potatoes - The Maine Potato Lady

View attachment 676132
From the Maine Potato Lady...

Ordering for 2023 will open shortly!​

From the Maine Potato Lady...

Ordering for 2023 will open shortly!​

I signed up for her newsletter last week. I look forward to trying a few different things from her next growing season. Onion, garlic and potatoes specifically. Still not sure on what varieties as of yet. Your red norland and yukon haul, iirc, looked great. thanks for the recommendation on the Maine potato lady!

I signed up for her newsletter last week. I look forward to trying a few different things from her next growing season. Onion, garlic and potatoes specifically. Still not sure on what varieties as of yet. Your red norland and yukon haul, iirc, looked great. thanks for the recommendation on the Maine potato lady!
Great yield on fist-sized Reds & Golds. Tasty spuds! I eat some everyday...

Maine Potato Lady accepting online orders for March 2023.

Prices have increased on seed potatoes and shipping but should be cost-effective compared to organic store bought.

Ordered Dark Red Norland, Sangre Reds and Yukon Gold.

Good luck Spud Farmers!

~Enbloc

Last edited:
@enbloc

You going to update the thread title, make it a long term thread? Wife and I are getting ready to start looking into potential new grows for 2023 as well as a review of the inventory and results from 2022.

@enbloc

You going to update the thread title, make it a long term thread? Wife and I are getting ready to start looking into potential new grows for 2023 as well as a review of the inventory and results from 2022.
I'm not sure. With over 1k posts, maybe it would be better to start a new one and mark it as "2023"
Sometimes a thread can become unwieldy if it goes too long, especially when looking for something specific.

If you would like to author this upcoming year's thread, please feel free, If not I will post a "Better Be Planting this Year. 2023" thread.

Thanks for being a wonderful, contributing member of the BBPTY-2022 thread!
~Matt

I'm not sure. With over 1k posts, maybe it would be better to start a new one and mark it as "2023"
Sometimes a thread can become unwieldy if it goes too long, especially when looking for something specific.

If you would like to author this upcoming year's thread, please feel free, If not I will post a "Better Be Planting this Year. 2023" thread.

Thanks for being a wonderful, contributing member of the BBPTY-2022 thread!
~Matt

I wonder if we could get confirmation on image retention if this thread goes without update?

Would be a shame to lose all these wonderful contributions. Garden builds, layouts, bounty hauls, watering setups, trial / error, and general 'check this out!' type stuff are very helpful when thinking about the upcoming season(s).

Did you share your experience with the grow bags?

I saw some videos where the plant roots grew threw the bag if it was not on solid (pavement, cement, wood) ground.
The bags took almost 3 1/2 weeks to come in. I planted spuds in raised beds only in 2022. The bags will be used Spring of 2023. I will be placing them on hardpack.
If roots push through the bag, I'm probably not doing my part with watering/feeding.
I will comment on issues as they occur.

Last edited:
I wonder if we could get confirmation on image retention if this thread goes without update?

Would be a shame to lose all these wonderful contributions. Garden builds, layouts, bounty hauls, watering setups, trial / error, and general 'check this out!' type stuff are very helpful when thinking about the upcoming season(s).
The photos would be available as long as you directly upload them to NES. Photo hosting sites like photobucket or tinypic can timeout over years or account stoppage.

I did a photo scrape of this thread. Most pictures (including those I added as attachments) downloaded in a more thumbnail size. Could have been the software I used, though it worked well for the dark thread that shall not be named.

l-intro-1627529429.jpg

Maybe I'll just add "Megathread" to the thread title... It seems like a popular thing to do... View attachment 702537

Nice title update. And here I was setting an alarm so I could drunk post a "Planting & Gardening 2023 - H/T enbloc - Whatcha Growing this year?" thread at 0015 on New Years day. Would have been an interesting start!

We got our johnnyseeds.com catalog in the mail today, 204 pages including index. The smaller rareseeds.com catalog came in maybe a couple weeks ago, 87 pages. Wife went through them both today and noted what she may want to try. My MIL will be ordering with us this year after seeing the wide selection available online last year. I've got a couple neighbors and friends that I may hit up to see if they want to do a large order. Maybe avoid potential shipping costs and split the seed packages.

I may finally be able to use up all those 10/20 baggies I bought when I was a youngster.

Back
Top Bottom