• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

I did something different this year with my potatoes. I left them in the ground!

I have been gathering them as I need them, and they go from the ground to the sink to the fry pan or oven.

The potatoes are holding very well in the ground, better than if I yanked them and stored them in a cool dark place.

I will let them go until the first hard frost and then cure and store them.

The spuds really like this cool weather though... they seem to taste better than the ones I was picking in July...

They are in raised beds, all the dead vegetation has been removed and they have about 4 inches of grass clippings and mulched leaves on them.

Any spuds that I miss pulling will seed the 2023 Season. (I will also supplement with new seed potatoes)

I'll report back after I do a final pull and let everyone know how it worked out...

I did something different this year with my potatoes. I left them in the ground!

I have been gathering them as I need them, and they go from the ground to the sink to the fry pan or oven.

The potatoes are holding very well in the ground, better than if I yanked them and stored them in a cool dark place.

I will let them go until the first hard frost and then cure and store them.

The spuds really like this cool weather though... they seem to taste better than the ones I was picking in July...

They are in raised beds, all the dead vegetation has been removed and they have about 4 inches of grass clippings and mulched leaves on them.

Any spuds that I miss pulling will seed the 2023 Season. (I will also supplement with new seed potatoes)

I'll report back after I do a final pull and let everyone know how it worked out...
Would a hard frost even bother them underground?

Would a hard frost even bother them underground?
No, I don't think so, especially with the full coverage of grass/leaves clippings but trying this for the first time I don't want to lose the remainder of an important crop.
In the past I've mostly gardened for fun and relaxation, but things are changing, and I think they are going to change hard and fast. So, it is important
to learn the best way to keep them fresh the longest and with the most nutritional value they can have.
I have already reaped about 80 lbs. of Red Norland and Yukon Gold. and have maybe that again underground. I have been eating them since mid-July
and have been blessed with an abundance. Thank you God.

No, I don't think so, especially with the full coverage of grass/leaves clippings but trying this for the first time I don't want to lose the remainder of an important crop.
In the past I've mostly gardened for fun and relaxation, but things are changing, and I think they are going to change hard and fast. So, it is important
to learn the best way to keep them fresh the longest and with the most nutritional value they can have.
I have already reaped about 80 lbs. of Red Norland and Yukon Gold. and have maybe that again underground. I have been eating them since mid-July
How big a plot you have them planted in?

I’m really interested in learning more about growing potatoes…I eat more of them than pretty much anything else and they keep fairly well. damn things are getting expensive too!

I’m really interested in learning more about growing potatoes…I eat more of them than pretty much anything else and they keep fairly well. damn things are getting expensive too!
That is one of the reasons I expanded my potato, squash and turnip crops this year. For the small area I have, I have had a bountiful, tasty and nutritious return.
So much so, I've been able to gift much to many...

How big a plot you have them planted in?
I have them in 3 raised beds. 2 are 4'x8' and 1 is 4'x4'.
Soil height is 11-inches.
I am only planting determinate spuds because I've found that in my setup they produce the most tubers and are generally early-to-mid season potatoes
that reach maturity in 80-90 days. 3 months is perfect.

They also do very well in containers (I've used grow bags) because of the fairly shallow growth of the tubers.
You do have to watch for exposed (to sunlight) spuds to keep from greening, which is unhealthy to eat, but can be trimmed away.
Grass clippings are wonderful for this, and I've found the clippings really protect them from pests and help keep moisture steady, but not excessive.

Last edited:
I cannot state how great the Maine Potato Lady's seeds spuds are. I believe I've gotten about 98% viability from her seed stock and these are grown in Maine
so they are really suited to New England soil and weather conditions...

I will post back when her 2023 Season spuds are ready for ordering. If you order later, you get the seed spuds later. Early is key...

Maine Potato Lady - Your Source for quality Maine seed potatoes - The Maine Potato Lady

1666365348132.png

my set up is similar. I started with about 20 cuttings/seeds and ended up with a five gal bucket full of fingerlings and Yukon’s
Had hoped for more. I would love to increase the yield. Maybe plant more seeds. This was first year with spuds.

were they in full sun?

my set up is similar. I started with about 20 cuttings/seeds and ended up with a five gal bucket full of fingerlings and Yukon’s
Had hoped for more. I would love to increase the yield. Maybe plant more seeds. This was first year with spuds.

were they in full sun?
80% were in full sun, the remainder in heavy-partial. I planted densely. 6-inch spacing in rows, 12-inch spacing between rows.
I'm getting potatoes as big as my fist. which is pretty good for the Red Norlands, and on par for the Yukons...

They are one of the easiest things to grow. Put seed potatoes in the ground and dig up later. Best to have somewhat acidic soil to prevent scab.

I cannot state how great the Maine Potato Lady's seeds spuds are. I believe I've gotten about 98% viability from her seed stock and these are grown in Maine
so they are really suited to New England soil and weather conditions...

I will post back when her 2023 Season spuds are ready for ordering. If you order later, you get the seed spuds later. Early is key...

Maine Potato Lady - Your Source for quality Maine seed potatoes - The Maine Potato Lady

View attachment 676132
Yea I use her too. I think its cheaper to ship if you're in the NE. I got about 100lb from 10-15lb so maybe not the greatest but I'm happy enough since I basically just stick them in the ground.

were they in full sun?
I've found the fingerlings have underwhelming yield, and the bigger varieties will produce more if you're looking for straight weight. Definitely full sun if you can.

I found that the area I planted in this year does not get full sun. The carrots, beets and lettuce did fine, but everything else did not. I got a single, solitary pepper from about 10 plants! So I'm expanding and moving into an area in my back yard that gets the most sun of anywhere on my property. I bought heirloom corn seed, okra (cause I'm from the south and miss fried okra!) and some alfalfa cover crop seed, and have a ton of seed from this year left over. I am getting a grow light etc. and will try starting some seeds with that this spring. I have a feeling that we are just in the beginnings of supply chain and food shortages, and am glad for the experience of having a garden this past year.

I found that the area I planted in this year does not get full sun. The carrots, beets and lettuce did fine, but everything else did not. I got a single, solitary pepper from about 10 plants! So I'm expanding and moving into an area in my back yard that gets the most sun of anywhere on my property. I bought heirloom corn seed, okra (cause I'm from the south and miss fried okra!) and some alfalfa cover crop seed, and have a ton of seed from this year left over. I am getting a grow light etc. and will try starting some seeds with that this spring. I have a feeling that we are just in the beginnings of supply chain and food shortages, and am glad for the experience of having a garden this past year.
Sounds like a solid plan. Keep an eye to any trees in the area to avoid the problem I had - the former owner of this place put in 3 good sized raised beds in an area that got full sun... until the various trees to the east, south, and west of them got to full height and width. Nearly half of those trees were ornamentals she herself had planted. Ugh. I've been pruning, but some will eventually have to go I think.

I was able to put in an additional raised bed that is in full sun. That's where the 'maters usually go. I'd have liked to have made that one bigger, but want to keep clear of septic tank and leach field.

Put my garlic in yesterday, hopefully the predicted rain for today will help it assimilate with the enriched soil/lime mixture in that part of the garden. Should be interesting -- have never grown garlic before.

I found that the area I planted in this year does not get full sun. The carrots, beets and lettuce did fine, but everything else did not. I got a single, solitary pepper from about 10 plants! So I'm expanding and moving into an area in my back yard that gets the most sun of anywhere on my property.
I did that over the last 2 years. I use the shady spot for leafy greens, starting cuttings, and throwing extra stuff in that i can't plant in the other areas.

If folks have the room for a fruit tree or two you should consider it. Apple/pear/certain plum and peach can do well and produce a crop in just a few short years.
Think Ahead Plan for Spring... 🤔

If folks have the room for a fruit tree or two you should consider it. Apple/pear/certain plum and peach can do well and produce a crop in just a few short years.
Think Ahead Plan for Spring... 🤔
I'm trying these guys this year: Catalog Search - Fedco Trees
Ive used these guys in the past and they are honoring warantee on some shrubs that died without too many questions: Burnt Ridge Nursery & Orchards | Fruit Trees, Nut Trees, Berries for Sale | Buy Plants Online

Sounds like a solid plan. Keep an eye to any trees in the area to avoid the problem I had - the former owner of this place put in 3 good sized raised beds in an area that got full sun... until the various trees to the east, south, and west of them got to full height and width. Nearly half of those trees were ornamentals she herself had planted. Ugh. I've been pruning, but some will eventually have to go I think.

I was able to put in an additional raised bed that is in full sun. That's where the 'maters usually go. I'd have liked to have made that one bigger, but want to keep clear of septic tank and leach field.

That was my problem. I used google maps satellite images and a website I found that calculated shadows from various structures vs. time of year and day etc. to make sure the spot I chose had enough light, only to have the trees nearby fill in and put it all in shade :confused:. I kept a close eye on the yard this summer and think I have a nice spot that is clear of the septic field and gets full sun most of the day.

Any idea what the site you found is. Kinda cool and never knew about that
It does sound very cool. I plotted out my area with stakes until I got what I was looking for... many, many years ago. Like, before the internet.

Anyone care to share seeds? Got any interesting varieties, or stuff that’s done well? Seed bank exchange type thing. Just thinking aloud
Great idea. I used to save heirloom tomato seeds, but stopped doing that many moons ago -- I may have some kicking around (luckily, if seeds are properly stored they'll last a very long time).

Back
Top Bottom