• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best ways to polish a blued revolver

ntomsw

Banned
I know there are a lot less ways or things you can use on blued guns because the finish can come off. So, what do you guys use to polish your blued guns, clean them, etc. I cleaned mine with solvent, but I want something that will really polish it up nice. Any ideas? Or any photos of the blued guns/revolvers you have polished? I have gotten my very 1st blued gun, and I obviously don't want to ruin the finish.

With my stainless guns, I even use those Birchwood Casey Lead Removing Cloths to get off the burn rings on the cylinder, and it shined it up real nice. I know I can't use them on blued. Any ways or ideas to get off the burn rings and powder??

Any help or ideas I would appreciate. Thanks.

Not that I have any idea if this is the right way to do it, but it works for me... my military issued weapons I have always wrapped them in a clean rag/towel that was saturated in Mil-tec lubricant, then rung out so they are just a little damp with the stuff. While I am prepping them to carry, I wipe them dry externally with a clean cloth and they are good to go, never had a misfire/jam yet. My blued 9mm Berretta was stored this way in Iraq, and I could count on it at all times, and it doesn't hurt the bluing any. It looks polished after a wipedown, in my eyes anyway. That's how I have my 1911 stored right now, if someone else has a better way, I'd love to hear it, if I'm causing some kind of damage to the gun doing it this way, I'd love to know to put a stop to it immediately.

Also, I swear by mil-tec to lubricate my weapons; Lube thoroughly, fire weapon to temp and allow to cool, wipe clean and dry. Went 12 months in the sand in iraq and never once did I have to put more lube on my weapon, and the dust didn't stick to the bolt or star chamber... pretty good stuff, and they'll send a free bottle if you are military.

No other responses? I figure at least a few people here would know or have used other methods to actually polish their blued revolvers.

I've used Simichrome to remove light scratches but don't use too much (or rub too hard) or you could burn through the finish.

I have heard of the renaissance wax. Really any 'paste wax' would work, correct? Hopefully I can shine this bad boy up that I have! For some reason I love a clean shiny gun!

There are a few places I read online where they say polishing or waxing is bad for the blueing, and over time it will wear off the thin layer of blueing that's on the gun.

That the 'shine' to any blued gun is actually under the blueing, not the blueing itself. Is this true?

I definitely don't want to ruin the gun. Just wasn't sure if that was bad info. I think I'll try the Johnsons paste wax, or flitz or renaissance if I can find it, in a hidden area and see what happens. Others say they all work, others say they are abrasive and will ruin it.

Guess I'll find out soon enough. Just need to find out who sells this stuff so I can try it out

Don't shoot it then. ;)

I hate cleaning blued revolvers, stainless I can just throw in the dishwasher. [laugh]

I just traded one of the blued "safe queens" from my collection, great gun but cleaning it sucked.

Dododo.gif

Back
Top Bottom