Best way to pin and weld compensator

I have a DJ Getz MP5 that came with a faux silencer pinned and welded. Since he speced HK barrels the pin and weld was on a 3-Lug. I assumed when I had the faux silencer removed I would see the indent for the pin. I have looked everywhere. Unless the smith was a wizard I don’t see the indent. I’ve wondered if the pin was legit
I could hide one pretty easily if I needed to make it look pretty, find a pipe fitting company or welding inspector with an x-ray and see if they can find it lol

I have a DJ Getz MP5 that came with a faux silencer pinned and welded. Since he speced HK barrels the pin and weld was on a 3-Lug. I assumed when I had the faux silencer removed I would see the indent for the pin. I have looked everywhere. Unless the smith was a wizard I don’t see the indent. I’ve wondered if the pin was legit.

I actually had the same at one point, believe it or not. After I got my tax stamp and took mine off, I think I have a theory, as my barrel had barely a mark either. I think the pin sits behind the lug, and I believe it was tapped so that there's no more compression space on the spring, making disengaging difficult to impossible. But just a theory.

Next: The adjustable stock. Jack.
The adjustable stock jack is a tender subject on NES.
[angry]

Drill to make divot for pin, small roll pin in the hole, small TIG tack over it. I usually use a tiny dab of .045" 309L filler so it won't rust as easy and put a little cold blue on it or touch it up with a Testors paint marker.
I have no idea how slick a job that is.

After you've applied your patented crypto-pin technique,
is it at least still obvious under magnification that the frob is pinned?

Or if the gun is grabbed for evidence,
is there a risk that The Boys Down In Metallurgy
are gonna twist the barrel into a pretzel
trying to torque the compensator off
because they're convinced it's not pinned?

If it's totally invisible, maybe tart it up with a pin decal.
By weak analogy with those Danger Jet Intake decals they put on fighter planes.

My gunsmith did an incredible job hiding the pin on a 14.5” barrel for me. I complimented him and then asked that he put a very noticeable weld on it so it would pass any cursory inspection.
Once again you have crystallized my very thoughts.

I thought AW was pretty easy ?
Any semi auto that can accept a “hi capacity” detachable mag out side the pistol grip and has at least one other evil feature?

Completely magical thinking. The definition of assault weapon under MA law is “shall have the same meaning as” federal law of 13-sep-1994. MA terminology is not in play. You take the object, regardless of what it is called in MA, and go visit federal land. You ask federal land to tell you “is this an AW or not”. Then with that answer you come back to MA and know whether the object you are holding is an AW or not, again, regardless of what MA calls the object.

In federal land a SBR is subject to the federal rifle definition of AW.

Done. There is no magic that lets if fall between the cracks. You can take whatever risks you want and believe whatever you want, but dont be fooled into thinking you are exempt. That is magical thinking where you convolute or misunderstand the law to get the outcome you want versus what is actually true.

This is not in fact that complicated. Because MA did not bring in federal text but instead “shall have the same meaning”, all federal definitions are in play for determining if the object is an AW or not. No confusion.

Please don’t perpetuate your magical thinking no matter how many NRA instructors, police friends, gunsmiths, or people who stayed at a holiday inn express last night say otherwise.

No, IANAL, but having consulted a top lawyer on this subject, I am 100% confident in what I am saying above.
I'm sure some slick lawyer could play word games but AFAIK there hasn't been a test case to try it out on.

The adjustable stock jack is a tender subject on NES.
[angry]

I have no idea how slick a job that is.

After you've applied your patented crypto-pin technique,
is it at least still obvious under magnification that the frob is pinned?

Or if the gun is grabbed for evidence,
is there a risk that The Boys Down In Metallurgy
are gonna twist the barrel into a pretzel
trying to torque the compensator off
because they're convinced it's not pinned?

If it's totally invisible, maybe tart it up with a pin decal.
By weak analogy with those Danger Jet Intake decals they put on fighter planes.

Once again you have crystallized my very thoughts.

IMHO fretting about all that stuff is futile. If they (whether its the state or the ATF) really want to test it theyre going to have to test it whether its concealed or not, and if they test it and break the pin or something it will leave evidence. If it was accepted that simply"evidence of pinning" was enough nobody would ever bother actually doing it, they'd just drill a hole in a device (unless its there already) and put some weld over it to make it look like it was pinned. I get why someone might thing "oh I should leave evidence so if some guy is leering over my gun at the range it will look pinned" ok whatever, but frankly at this point, if you're shooting at a place where some a**h*** is leering over your gun for legal BS, you're at the wrong range/club.

Actually to be clear if there are real forensic pro outfit they might have an x-ray machine and they could just x-ray the thing? Then they wouldn't even need to apply any real force to it and you could just leave it concealed it wouldn't matter......

Last edited:
... I get why someone might thing "oh I should leave evidence so if some guy is leering over my gun at the range it will look pinned" ok whatever, but frankly at this point, if you're shooting at a place where some a**h*** is leering over your gun for legal BS, you're at the wrong range/club.
Especially concur about that noise.

Honestly I think he's just being sarcastic because that could only mean one of two things. A. you guys are worried about stupid s*** that never actually happens... or B. there was actually a fudd nearby leering over his rifle.. [rofl]
i saw in some clubs there are actual memes of members to be required to present weapons for inspection to ROs - so, just curious. check your weapon, confirm your gender, do an anal covid swab, why not. MA being MA everything is possible.

I am curious if laser welding is used by smith’s.
I have welded many different metals with a laser at my work, and could easily fit a barrel and comp, or whatever. I can adjust voltage and beam size to make a pretty weld.

benefits are many with a laser and argon.

I am curious if laser welding is used by smith’s.
I have welded many different metals with a laser at my work, and could easily fit a barrel and comp, or whatever. I can adjust voltage and beam size to make a pretty weld.

benefits are many with a laser and argon.
Don’t see any reason you couldn’t laser weld the pin. It’s just that my beginner's TIG setup was $775 plus $150 for the gas and gas cylinder. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t touch a laser welder for that much. Welding a pin using TIG is probably the easiest weld job to learn and you only need a minimal power welder to do it. Of course I had a professional up the road give me some lessons and that certainly helped.

The reason I brought it up is that with laser welding it can be made very superficial and compliant.
Easy to undo.

I am not spamming. I don’t provide the service.
I was curious if people used laser in regards to gun smithing.

I am not spamming. I don’t provide the service.
I was curious if people used laser in regards to gun smithing.

I think he was commenting on the fact that, instead of creating ONE reply to this thread, you made five separate ones. You could have just edited your original comment to add the other four.

1614635110615.png

Last edited:
I once knew a guy in MA who thought their laws were crazy and he told me if someone is trying to remove your suppressor than you got bigger problems. That same guy built ARs and would drill the compensator and drop some solder in there, then screw it on. Not recommended but it worked great. I think that guy moved to Vegas or something? That's just what I heard, probably not true!

Back
Top Bottom