Best way to pin and weld compensator

I believe the answer is in the title. [thinking] The best way to pin and weld, is to pin and weld. 🤔
Not silver solder.
^^^^This. Tig welding a pin is the easiest and also the simplest to “undo”. Properly welding the pin means that you can just grind the weld off and then the pin will just drop out and you’ll be able to unscrew the brake like normal.

that is the preferred method

Why would you want to do that? If you ever want to remove the device it sounds like a mess. It's easier to have someone pin and weld it. Not to mention you're not exposing the barrel to retarded temperatures. That way if you leave this shithole (or, become exempt, or, simply decide you just don't care anymore) you can crack/grind the weld, pin will fall out, shitty brake comes off, goes in garbage, life moves on.

...and to add to this.... Yall should be ashamed that we let this state get to the point that AWB compliance is the first thing that you think of lol.
Does not help when you had decades of fudds voting hardline democrat because democrat/kenedy mind set.
Still happens to day. Deep democrat blood mass residents dont stray easily , gun owners or not.

^^^^This. Tig welding a pin is the easiest and also the simplest to “undo”. Properly welding the pin means that you can just grind the weld off and then the pin will just drop out and you’ll be able to unscrew the brake like normal.

Thank god for this method. Took off a pin/weld with a Dremel (all I had at the time) and just a few minutes. Comes off super clean if it was done properly.

I'd think the thing to watch out for is how deep to make the pin divot to make sure you're not going too deep.

I too suspect that magical thinking is in place, but did not want to assume.

What magical thinking? I had a well-known and respected gunsmith and multiple dealers who couldn’t agree on whether an SBR fell under the AWB. An SBR isn’t a rifle and it isn’t a pistol according to the ATF. I did my own research and came to the same conclusion, then hedged my bets and went with a fixed stock anyway.

It’s all muddy until someone pushes the envelope, gets jammed up, and fights it out in court.

What magical thinking? I had a well-known and respected gunsmith and multiple dealers who couldn’t agree on whether an SBR fell under the AWB. An SBR isn’t a rifle and it isn’t a pistol according to the ATF. I did my own research and came to the same conclusion, then hedged my bets and went with a fixed stock anyway.

It’s all muddy until someone pushes the envelope, gets jammed up, and fights it out in court.
Completely magical thinking. The definition of assault weapon under MA law is “shall have the same meaning as” federal law of 13-sep-1994. MA terminology is not in play. You take the object, regardless of what it is called in MA, and go visit federal land. You ask federal land to tell you “is this an AW or not”. Then with that answer you come back to MA and know whether the object you are holding is an AW or not, again, regardless of what MA calls the object.

In federal land a SBR is subject to the federal rifle definition of AW.

Done. There is no magic that lets if fall between the cracks. You can take whatever risks you want and believe whatever you want, but dont be fooled into thinking you are exempt. That is magical thinking where you convolute or misunderstand the law to get the outcome you want versus what is actually true.

This is not in fact that complicated. Because MA did not bring in federal text but instead “shall have the same meaning”, all federal definitions are in play for determining if the object is an AW or not. No confusion.

Please don’t perpetuate your magical thinking no matter how many NRA instructors, police friends, gunsmiths, or people who stayed at a holiday inn express last night say otherwise.

No, IANAL, but having consulted a top lawyer on this subject, I am 100% confident in what I am saying above.

Drill to make divot for pin, small roll pin in the hole, small TIG tack over it. I usually use a tiny dab of .045" 309L filler so it won't rust as easy and put a little cold blue on it or touch it up with a Testors paint marker.

Thank god for this method. Took off a pin/weld with a Dremel (all I had at the time) and just a few minutes. Comes off super clean if it was done properly.

I'd think the thing to watch out for is how deep to make the pin divot to make sure you're not going too deep.
I have a DJ Getz MP5 that came with a faux silencer pinned and welded. Since he speced HK barrels the pin and weld was on a 3-Lug. I assumed when I had the faux silencer removed I would see the indent for the pin. I have looked everywhere. Unless the smith was a wizard I don’t see the indent. I’ve wondered if the pin was legit.

Back
Top Bottom