Best way to move ammo between states (NOT driving it yourself)

Any ideas? The three moving companies I checked will not ship ammunition, and due to logistics I cannot drive it down myself.

Trying to figure if it will cost me more to ship it down there than sell it here and rebuy there.. Can FFLs use cheaper shipping methods than those available to the average person?

Thanks in advance,
Pelikan

This^^ UPS will ship ammo. The weight limit is 66# and you have to label it ORM-D. There should be no hazmat fee.
This is correct.
There's also a requirement on the box you use. It needs that circular label on the bottom saying how strong it is and the strength has to meet a minimum that I forget. Check around UPS's web site.

About seven or eight cases, all things included. I'll check how much each 66# shipment would cost, then figure in what I would lose selling it here vs. buying more there (from more potential sources as online is fine down there)...sorry, there being Kentucky.

my movers cheerfully moved ammo and even more cheerfully moved ammo cans full of lead ingots as they were paid by weight

the truck guys are usually much less stringent than corporate, especially when bagels, doughnuts and subs appear

UPS directly from a depot. Fill out the ORM-D forms, label the boxes with the appropriate warning stickers. Lithium battery packs and some aerosol cans are actually much more dangerous freight. Center-fire cartridges outside of a chamber are essentially firecrackers.

Use the moving company. Concealed is concealed and all.
any time i've moved and i have boxes i've packed, not the movers, they open and inspect the contents. but, i've yet encountered any nationally registered moving company that refuses ammo. yeah, someone said they love the weight on the truck and they do. a ton of weight in a small footprint. when the local guy came to the house for the pre pack walk thru and saw my ammo boxes he almost pissed himself with joy and dollar signs flew out of every orifice. you're not using those "father/son movers" or "2 college guys" are you? i doubt they would haul it.

Unless it is of some hard to come buy ammo you might as well sell it.
Unless you know a large business with account shipping for ammo will be expensive. Might be cheaper shipping through a freight company?

Shooting friend of mine moved to Kentucky few years back. Left me all his ammo to sell for him.
It was a rather large amount. Yet he was to lazy to haul it or box it up.... I kept the harder to find stuff plus made a little cash myself.

For a reference CMP 200 rounds of 30-06 was 12.95 shipping charge.

Suggestion: if you have some time before you move, and if the ammo is readily available currently, figure out what the replacement cost would be in Kentucky, then offer it in the NES classifieds for the same price.

It isn't hard to replace, that's for sure. Well, except for the .22 (sigh). I'll check the ship rates from UPS, thanks mac1911 for that reference shipping charge...

Thanks all for some excellent advice...

About seven or eight cases, all things included. I'll check how much each 66# shipment would cost, then figure in what I would lose selling it here vs. buying more there (from more potential sources as online is fine down there)...sorry, there being Kentucky.

I would think selling (except for a small amount) here and buying more where you are going will probably be less stressful.

I have a FedEx account. If you want rates PM me. As stated above, keep boxes to within 66 pounds.

any time i've moved and i have boxes i've packed, not the movers, they open and inspect the contents.
My experience with multiple interstate moves and Bekins, et al., over a number of years is precisely the opposite. I have always done my own packing and never has anyone suggested they needed or wanted to open and inspect. I can't imagine such a scenario.

My experience with multiple interstate moves and Bekins, et al., over a number of years is precisely the opposite. I have always done my own packing and never has anyone suggested they needed or wanted to open and inspect. I can't imagine such a scenario.

I can imagine it if they are insuring the contents. Plenty of scams back in the day of people shipping broken laptops via UPS to a buddy and then claiming UPS broke it and getting paid for the junk.

Back
Top Bottom