Best way to conceal/holster/etc

There's a couple of things in this one for me to pick at, let's get to it:

There are plenty of holsters that will allow you to tuck your shirt in and as long as you're not carrying an 88 Magnum, you can conceal it.

I have the Alien brand holster, it's comfortable and can easily tuck my shirt in, only 2 clips show on my belt.

I’m not sure exactly which HK you are talking about. I had an HK USP Compact some years back and it was actually rather large, compared to a Glock 19.

Not splitting hairs, but my HnK USP compact is almost the exact same size as a G23. I quit carrying my G23 when we transitioned to the HnK. I put them on top of one another, gun pron?, and the HnK was just a smidge bigger if I remember right.

Can you elaborate?

If you present a firearm, you are taking the encounter up to the deadly force fuzzy area. Assuming the other person isn't armed, of course. Time and place/situation (good lawyer) will determine if you are in the clear.

There are plenty of holsters that will allow you to tuck your shirt in and as long as you're not carrying an 88 Magnum, you can conceal it.

I have the Alien brand holster, it's comfortable and can easily tuck my shirt in, only 2 clips show on my belt.

Not splitting hairs, but my HnK USP compact is almost the exact same size as a G23. I quit carrying my G23 when we transitioned to the HnK. I put them on top of one another, gun pron?, and the HnK was just a smidge bigger if I remember right.

If you present a firearm, you are taking the encounter up to the deadly force fuzzy area. Assuming the other person isn't armed, of course. Time and place/situation (good lawyer) will determine if you are in the clear.

Thanks yeah, I think I’m just gonna carry on weekends while I’m out with family, just in case some nut job looks to spray a public place for no reason.

Not really for one on one altercations or anything like that. I’ll be more than fine on those circumstances.

I already have a SW .40, but probably too big to carry concealed with holster?

You should carry daily. Try a 6" - 357 wheel gun in Thunderwear. The girls in the office will love it.

Kahr PM 9 is pretty concealable in a ton of ways.
I prefer OWB and a bigger gun, but when I have to carry light the PM9 is a pretty good option.
When it comes to IWB holsters, I like the Milt Sparks VersaMax 2. They are worth the money and so are their belts.

Versa Max 2 | Milt Sparks Holsters

Not splitting hairs, but my HnK USP compact is almost the exact same size as a G23. I quit carrying my G23 when we transitioned to the HnK. I put them on top of one another, gun pron?, and the HnK was just a smidge bigger if I remember right..

No, actually, it’s not. The HK is quite a bit bigger. The HKs slide, in particular, is stupidly large in comparison to the Glock 19/23.

When it comes to IWB holsters, I like the Milt Sparks VersaMax 2. They are worth the money and so are their belts.

Versa Max 2 | Milt Sparks Holsters

Holsters are a very personal thing. The VersaMax is certainly a well built holster, but it didn’t work for me. I found the much cheaper and uglier Crossbreed holster to be far better and more comfortable for me. Holsters are definitely a YMMV kind of thing.

No, actually, it’s not. The HK is quite a bit bigger. The HKs slide, in particular, is stupidly large in comparison to the Glock 19/23.

Are you seeing something I'm not? The HnK is shorter, which is moot for carrying (and semantics being what they are, I'd prefer a longer barrel), exact same height (within a couple hundredths of an inch), the HnK is wider. I thought the HnK was bigger as well, seems I was wrong:

HnK
Over all Length 6.81 in.; Height 5.00 in. Width 1.38 in.; Barrel 3.58 in.
G23
Overall Length 7.28 in; Height 5.04; Width 1.26; Barrel 4.02

Pulled those numbers from the company websites below.

USP - COMPACT - Heckler & Koch
GLOCK Inc. | GLOCK Pistols | Buy Online

I carry a G43 appendix with an extended NDZ base plate. It disappears. If I wanted to tuck a shirt in, I wouldn't run the extended base plate. I would recommend that obviously you decide what gun you want first, and then find some people to try out some different holsters. You're also going to need at least a few different holsters to be able to change up how you carry. I don't always carry appendix, but it's preferable when I'm going to places with big crowds, because I have more control over the gun, and in social situations people are a thousand percent less likely to touch you in your pelvic area versus touching you on the small of the back to get your attention or move you out of the way.

I have worn an appendix holster with a training gun while doing combatives work, and appendix is by far the best position to be able to access a gun in the flow of a fight. I'm guessing your question is whether or not the comfort of wearing a gun is going to impede your ability to defend yourself with your hands, the fact is, if you're in a fight on the ground wearing a gun, it's going to hurt no matter what... But you're not really going to notice it until after LOL.

No argument there, I was merely offering an alternate suggestion to the type of holster he was looking at. I have run Crossbreed, Concealment Express and others and have settled on Vedder for EDC but it’s a personal thing. Don’t really understand the benefit of saving $10-$15 on a cheap Concealment Express holster when for a few bucks more you get a much better holster in that same class.

I'm guessing your question is whether or not the comfort of wearing a gun is going to impede your ability to defend yourself with your hands, the fact is, if you're in a fight on the ground wearing a gun, it's going to hurt no matter what... But you're not really going to notice it until after LOL.

Yeah that was my question. My strengths are with stand up (since I enjoy Boxing/Muay Thai), so I would try to keep it standing up. (I try to avoid altercations at all costs...)

Grabbed a 9mm Shield 2.0, just felt right in my hand, especially with the 8 round clip for carry.

Guy mentioned that the trigger is a 10 pound trigger and some people upgrade to a 5 pounder. I’ll fire some rounds through it first before doing that.

Apex carry

Grabbed a 9mm Shield 2.0, just felt right in my hand, especially with the 8 round clip for carry.

Guy mentioned that the trigger is a 10 pound trigger and some people upgrade to a 5 pounder. I’ll fire some rounds through it first before doing that.

Apex carry
/
The other kids are going to make fun of you for calling a magazine a clip.

I sold my USP Compact 9mm, because in Mass it was a bit big to be limited to 10 rounds, and it kicked like a mule. HKs are like beautiful women that you don't call back cause they're crazy.

Try a CZ P01, it's about the same size but so much better to shoot.

If after a few years of carrying you dont have as many holsters as the wife has purses, you're probably doing it wrong.

It takes a few tries to find what works. Then of course you need one for every occasion: chores and shopping, deep concealment formal wear, gym wear, sitting around the house in underwear.
I still haven't found a good way to carry when working under the car.

for shield, no brainer...darkstargear Orion, tenicor velo or high threat concealment spektre. AIWB is cake. after a few months can take off the bra and switch to a full size pistol. good luck and holster carefully.

BBQ gun is literally above anything practical on my gun wish list lol. It's gonna be some kind of shiny 1911 in a custom leather holster.

Don't forget the "court gun".

The LawDog Files: Court guns and BBQ guns.

Court guns and BBQ guns.

I know that Texas doesn't have a lock on court guns, or their kissin' cousin, the BBQ gun, but someone always asks me what they are.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid they're a dying breed. At least in this part of the country. Back in West Texas every lawman worth his salt has a court gun. Around here, everyone has gone to polymer framed pistols, and I'm here to tell you, ain't no way this side of the Styx than you can turn a Glock into a court gun.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen. It is technically, physically and aesthetically impossible.

So, down to brass tacks.

A court gun is the pistol that you wear during your court-type duties.

Usually a Colt Government Model or clone or a Browning Hi-Power, although any metal pistol with removable grips will do. Either blued or stainless is just fine, and have a small amount of tasteful engraving done to the slide.

Replace the grips with burlwood or stag. Fancy wood is acceptable, and can be minimally engraved. Understatement is the word of the day here.

The gun leather for your court gun should be dark in colour, with the classic basketweave pattern and a Ranger buckle. A subdued floral or Celtic pattern is acceptable, as long as the leather engraving is not a different color from the rest of the belt. In the past, the best gear was custom-made by inmates of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, but I don't know if they're still doing that.

more at link above.
73417aadb9cf7c5d5a699e0bdd17ad33--ranger-rigs.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom