• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to conceal/holster/etc

Now that I moved out of Cambridge I might be renewing my permit without restrictions.

Probably gonna grab a Compact HK 9mm for personal carry. Best way to conceal this puppy while out and about? Thx

You're going about it backwards. Based on your size, body type and daily attire, identify all possible carry locations (if you're like most people, the list won't be long).

Then pick the highest capacity, most potently chambered gun you can carry in that location. Again, if you're like most of us, it probably won't be a very large, high capacity gun (though maybe chambered in a powerful caliber).

Unless of course you are talking about carrying once in a while, when you feel like it, when it's convenient, etc. If you're talking everyday carry, options get limited fast. Or maybe if you're a giant, then you can hide anything.

True dat. The more fat, the more concealed.

Seriously though I have a very small 9mm, the Kahr CM9 and there are not too many 9’s that tiny in single stack. I think Sig 938’s come fairly close. I conceal it nicely in a Foxx holster at 5. I find the leather backed holsters to be very very comfortable. Is your HK double stack? In any case with a flush mag tucked in the pants around 5 it’s hard to see depending on the shirt you wear.

Actually might pick up a SP shield 9mm. Not sure exactly would like to carry to and from work on train, but if my company knew I would probably be in deep shit. And on weekends with kids.

I have tried several different holsters IWB and OWB. I liked the IWB the best at 4:30 or 5:00. They worked well especially when I was wearing a shirt that didn't need to be tucked in. However there was still some extra effort getting it on right and it was not always comfortable especially sitting if it happened to shift a little. I have found the best carry method for me is pocket carry with a sticky holster of something similar. I switched to buying Deluth ballroom jeans for most of the time, I can easily carry my P365 in them and it also fits in most of my dress pants. When I do need to go with something smaller I carry a Bodyguard 380 in my pocket. I do have to switch my cell phone to a shirt pocket, belt holster or my left pocket, but I find this method the most comfortable and convenient .

Nice to have a few options from full size fully exposed on your hip, 20+ rounds and the next best thing to carrying around an SBR, down to a half dozen rounds of 380 in a waaaay better than nothing package that nearly fits in your change pocket...

Something real small and simple like a Ruger LCP can be well placed in a holster for ultimate carrying comfort, or sheathed and dropped in your pocket if you want to be simple and sloppy about it. Hard to go wrong for $200 and worth owning one if you dont have anything else that small. You can always carry the real small stuff if you can carry at all, not the case with other sizes.

I prefer small 9mm's and appendix carry inside the waistband. My regulars are Kahr PM9 and Sig P365. I prefer kydex holsters because they are thin and light. I use PJ Holsters.

And because the whole package is so light you can get away with any decent belt, rather than an actual gun belt.

Now that I moved out of Cambridge I might be renewing my permit without restrictions.

Probably gonna grab a Compact HK 9mm for personal carry. Best way to conceal this puppy while out and about? Thx
I carry my Glock 19 in a Bravo Concealment Torsion Holster IWB..

Sig p320c -Mk Tek IWB carry at 4 O'Clock, w Kore essential leather gun belt.

Last edited:
What do you do for work? How do you normally dress? Business attire tucked in? Jeans and untucked? Daily carry or once in a while weekends? Do you sit all day or are you on your feet? Do you have somewhere to stash the gun at work or does it need to be on your person the entire time? Lots of factors to think about. There are lots of good carry guns/set ups. I carry every day and I regularly carry pocket/AIWB/ankle depending on the situation. Have a pop out drawer safe on the underside of my desk. Make sure you check out the Sig P365 too.

What do you do for work? How do you normally dress? Business attire tucked in? Jeans and untucked? Daily carry or once in a while weekends? Do you sit all day or are you on your feet? Do you have somewhere to stash the gun at work or does it need to be on your person the entire time? Lots of factors to think about. There are lots of good carry guns/set ups. I carry every day and I regularly carry pocket/AIWB/ankle depending on the situation. Have a pop out drawer safe on the underside of my desk. Make sure you check out the Sig P365 too.

I am a “business guy” tucked in shirt, suits sometimes, I take the MBTA to work everyday, I have an office so technically I could take it off/out and put it in my desk when I get in and leave.

Most likely carry it on the weekends though when I am out with my kids. So many good options thx guys I’ll research all of these...good stuff.

Does anyone find it a disadvantage to conceal carry? Meaning in an altercation where fists would do, having it on you may be a hinderance?

I am a “business guy” tucked in shirt, suits sometimes, I take the MBTA to work everyday, I have an office so technically I could take it off/out and put it in my desk when I get in and leave.

Most likely carry it on the weekends though when I am out with my kids. So many good options thx guys I’ll research all of these...good stuff.

Does anyone find it a disadvantage to conceal carry? Meaning in an altercation where fists would do, having it on you may be a hinderance?
As long as you respond w appropriate force vs force you should be fine. Once you show the firearm then it's on you.

You would leave an un-secured firearm in your desk at work? What could possibly go wrong?

Really depends what his position is and where he works.

In another company in my building someone showed up for their 1st day, tech company, professional job, in MA, and somebody noticed they were printing. Police were notified and stormed the place only to find he had a valid permit, but was fired on the spot anyway. I assume it was against company policy.

If it wasn't against policy it would seem to be a different story or if it wasnt a new employee, or if that employee was of high stature... big difference between a president of a company keeping the pistol in a locked office locked in a desk versus in a lumpa cubicle too... but if its against company policy one wrong person sees the print and you can easily get fired - as we know, especially in some places, some people are not used to the idea of others carrying and they assume something is wrong.

For work you're probably looking at ankle carry, particularly in warmer weather when you're not wearing a jacket. I pocket carry to/from work and when I get to my desk I put the gun in the pop out safe drawer located on the underside of my desk - but I drive to work and I own my own business so I'm not really concealing much on my commute or even when I arrive. Pocket is fine for errands on the way home from work if I'm tucked in and not wearing a jacket. If I go to an offsite business meeting then it usually goes on the ankle unless I'm wearing some form of cover garment (jacket, vest, sweater, etc.). You're going to want something very small for ankle, my choice is the P365, before that it was the P938. For me, the Shield is a little big for ankle and pocket carry in dress pants.

Weekends, etc. I don't tuck in so I AIWB mostly, or pocket if I'm really lazy and making a short trip.

As long as you use a good holster/setup you shouldn't have to worry much about concealed carry during an altercation. I'd be far less worried about the gun itself than the altercation and if I get into one I think I'd rather have the gun on me than not. Have done a pretty good job the past few decades avoiding fistfights and don't think I'd let that determine whether I carry or not.

For work you're probably looking at ankle carry, particularly in warmer weather when you're not wearing a jacket. I pocket carry to/from work and when I get to my desk I put the gun in the pop out safe drawer located on the underside of my desk - but I drive to work and I own my own business so I'm not really concealing much on my commute or even when I arrive. Pocket is fine for errands on the way home from work if I'm tucked in and not wearing a jacket. If I go to an offsite business meeting then it usually goes on the ankle unless I'm wearing some form of cover garment (jacket, vest, sweater, etc.). You're going to want something very small for ankle, my choice is the P365, before that it was the P938. For me, the Shield is a little big for ankle and pocket carry in dress pants.

Weekends, etc. I don't tuck in so I AIWB mostly, or pocket if I'm really lazy and making a short trip.

As long as you use a good holster/setup you shouldn't have to worry much about concealed carry during an altercation. I'd be far less worried about the gun itself than the altercation and if I get into one I think I'd rather have the gun on me than not. Have done a pretty good job the past few decades avoiding fistfights and don't think I'd let that determine whether I carry or not.

So got the call all set to carry. Probably get some type of holster like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Concealment-...op?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top

And grab a SW 9 Shield

I do really like the looks of those HK’s though...but I guess more concerned with functionality, dependability and realizability

Last edited:
So got the call all set to carry. Probably get some type of holster like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Concealment-...op?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top

And grab a SW 9 Shield

I do really like the looks of those HK’s though...but I guess more concerned with functionality, dependability and realizability

Look at the Vedder Light Tuck LightTuck™ Kydex IWB It may not look much different but it's tuckable and has adjustale depth/cant. Instead of the clip being screwed in a the top, it's on the bottom allowing for adjustability and you can tuck your shirt in over the gun. I had the Concealment Express one at one point but since I discovered Vedder I have that for all my guns now.

Speaking as someone who has a Shield, also look at the Sig P365: It's in the same price range, smaller/more concealable and has 10 round mag capacity. There's nothing wrong w/ the Shield though if you want a larger gun but it's a little big if you're going to do ankle or pocket carry in dress pants.

I’m not sure exactly which HK you are talking about. I had an HK USP Compact some years back and it was actually rather large, compared to a Glock 19.

In general, you’ll need a solid belt (I like the Wilderness Instructor belts) and a strong-side belt holster. An IWB holster conceals better than OWB, but is less comfortable. For IWB, I like Crossbreed supertuck. For OWB I used to recommend the Raven Concealment Phantom, but they stopped making them and I haven’t found a suitable replacement yet. I just received an OWB holster from Vedder and while the holster itself is good, they blew it with the belt connectors making it decidedly subpar — very disappointing.

I am a “business guy” tucked in shirt, suits sometimes,........

Slow down, Chili Palmer, and avoid leaving your gear anywhere at work (locked or not locked). If you plan on living in MA you want to avoid all altercations at all cost. You also can't use inadequate response which will land you in jail. My recommendation is to take some courses in self-defense first. The disadvantage to conceal carry is that the other guy may need a gun,he notices you may be carrying, and you will not be able to defend yourself.

View: https://youtu.be/rh8OdlSXiDo

Slow down, Chili Palmer, and avoid leaving your gear anywhere at work (locked or not locked). If you plan on living in MA you want to avoid all altercations at all cost. You also can't use inadequate response which will land you in jail. My recommendation is to take some courses in self-defense first. The disadvantage to conceal carry is that the other guy may need a gun,he notices you may be carrying, and you will not be able to defend yourself.

View: https://youtu.be/rh8OdlSXiDo

Cool story.

Back
Top Bottom