Best Value in Used Pistol

Chris M.

NES Member
Hi all,

What would you say is the best value in a used 9mm or .45 for range, home defense and very very limited occasional carry.

By value I mean high quality and reliability for a good bit less than new price.

Simply put, what models do you see as relative bargains right now.

Thanks!

S&W Shield. For a while I was seeing them dumped quite cheap. but they seem to be going up a bit. Still for something concealable, reliable and a good value I think they are the best combination of that, at least in MA.

Wont find many used right now s they just came out but I really like the Styer m-1a 9MM. Can get them new for around $470. I also have a ruger SR9C which I love. I used to conceal carry it until I got my new glock g43 9mm (smaller for conceal) but I have put over 1,000 rounds through it without a single issue and its meaty enough to be fun to fire at the range yet relatively compact enough to carry IWB. Can get them used for under $300 usually.

In MA or outside of MA? I know you can get just about everything in-state if you try (and pay), but MA has a very skewed value curve.

The Canik TP9 seems to be a bargain from what others here have reported.

This, 18 rounds/ mag, 2 mags, and holster at well under $400 sounds like a great deal. I checked one out this weekend when I was picking up my LCP2, and nice reset, decent trigger.

Some of the CZ75 clones are really good values. Plenty of people swear by their Tanfoglio/EAA pistols.

Good ideas.

In Mass.

I thought there would be more mention of like a beretta 92fs or a 1911 where the used vs. new price differences are significant. I guess brand names hold their value.

Budget is in the $800 or less neighborhood. Probably wont carry this much.

S&W 3913 is a great shooter, single stack 9 so easy to carry.

I bought mine for an absurdly low price when everyone was hatin' on S&W but I think they still sell for $275-350.

Good ideas.

In Mass.

I thought there would be more mention of like a beretta 92fs or a 1911 where the used vs. new price differences are significant. I guess brand names hold their value.

If you're in MA, you can find preban mags for the 92SF I'm pretty sure. You can find a lot of solid choices under $800 for sure.

1911 Commander size, HK45 or HK45C... All hammer fired. HK are DA/SA with both hammer safety and decockers. I've seen some of the HK's, used, at a decent amount less than brand new.

S&W 3913 is a great shooter, single stack 9 so easy to carry.

I bought mine for an absurdly low price when everyone was hatin' on S&W but I think they still sell for $275-350.

I second that. Only problem you'll run into is the lack of holsters available compared to the new guns. It is my primary carry semi-auto

Hi all,

What would you say is the best value in a used 9mm or .45 for range, home defense and very very limited occasional carry.

By value I mean high quality and reliability for a good bit less than new price.

Simply put, what models do you see as relative bargains right now.

Thanks!

almost all the 1st and secound gen smith and wesson semi auto's
5906s can be had for great prices. I just missed one for 300$ with holster and extra mags.
i have a few a 39-2 and a 4013tsw all purchased on the cheaper side.

If the budget is $800 that opens a lot of doors.

If you aren't carrying it much you could always look at a new H&K VP9. They go for $669 with 3 mags and night sites at four seasons in Woburn.

The FN is a nice gun too. I got to shoot the FNH FNX 9mm not the 45 and i liked it. Not sure if its just a new pistol or a new pistol to Mass but havent heard much feedback on quality?

Then there are always the standard sigs like the p226, p220, 1911 series (e-series or sig 1911), etc.

Beretta 92FS is nice. As someone mentioned above there are pre-ban 15 rounders all over the place for sale. Beretta though you really will struggle to carry. 1911 4.25" commander would be better suited although still large.

Again at $800 you can buy new at that point and still get a really nice gun. You need to decide though if you are really going to carry it. I initially thought I was going to carry my 1911 5" Sig and it was just too much. Then it was an m&p 9c (prior to shield coming out), then went to the ruger SR9C, now finally have both my glock g43 and S&W bodyguard when I need maximum concealment. There are some that carry large frame pistols but I found myself opting to not carry as much when I had larger frame pistols. I carry everyday now with the glock g43 and/or bodyguard.

Just food for thought. If its a range gun, get a range gun. If its a conceal gun, get a conceal gun. You can get a decent blend but you will lose out on one end of the spectrum to gain on the other.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

What would you say is the best value in a used 9mm or .45 for range, home defense and very very limited occasional carry. By value I mean high quality and reliability for a good bit less than new price.
If the budget is $800 that opens a lot of doors.
This. With a budget of $800, you have a very wide list of possibilities in both new and used. [thinking]

Love the choice of Canik tp9sf but also the Ruger SR9c is a fantastic value and would fill all the roles you listed. Smaller so better if you ever carry it. Trigger is way better than any M&P model, but most used M&Ps will have an Apex kit or trigger job.

Good ideas.

In Mass.

I would not try concealing either of those.

But both can be good values. Ruger or S&W 1911s can be good used value in MA.

The police trade-in Gen 2 Glocks on aimsurplus.

they haven't had these in a while, like > 1 year now

- - - Updated - - -

The Canik TP9 seems to be a bargain from what others here have reported.

this, or one can acquire a used M&P 9 or 45 for very little. in MA, the supply of these pistols is very high and demand sucks. they are routinely selling for very cheap. and they are good pistols. not my favorite but they shoot very nicely.

Wont find many used right now s they just came out but I really like the Styer m-1a 9MM. Can get them new for around $470. I also have a ruger SR9C which I love. I used to conceal carry it until I got my new glock g43 9mm (smaller for conceal) but I have put over 1,000 rounds through it without a single issue and its meaty enough to be fun to fire at the range yet relatively compact enough to carry IWB. Can get them used for under $300 usually.
I've owned many Steyr's over the years andthey are super finicky about about ammo, and there is a production issue with some of the later production runs as they are cobbled together from franken parts from US and "other" production.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I missed this little gem. Have you looked in the classifieds here? good bit less? never[rofl]

In reality, used isn't much cheaper than new.

Wow didnt know that. I only got to shoot my buddies Styer and liked it a lot. He has about 750 rounds through it so far no problems and it ate up every type of 9mm ammo we put in it include steel cased blazer ammo. Ive seen a handful of positive reviews but obviously its the internet so only first hand account with the gun is still too soon to tell but looks to be pretty solid so far. Thats disappointing to hear though that they are cobbling them together with random parts. Too bad ill have to wait on my buddies a little longer because I was looking at getting one myself.

Appreciate the info!

I've owned many Steyr's over the years andthey are super finicky about about ammo, and there is a production issue with some of the later production runs as they are cobbled together from franken parts from US and "other" production.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Go on gunbroker.com. Buy a cheap gen 2 Glock 22 police trade in for $300 and then a MA FFL transfer for $25. Then buy a holster, some pre ban mags, some ammo and then take a pistol class at Sig academy or another school with the balance of the $800.

I've seen a few Ruger 1911s at some very reasonable prices and have heard good things about them too.

I think the 3rd gen S&W semi autos are among the best values. 3913, 6906, and the 59xx models come to mind. Good shooters, cheap and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom