Best value Home Defense 12 ga shotgun?

You can debate on and on if a shotgun over a hi-cap pistol is better for HD. For the average joe that has no experience clearing rooms in a house at night and taking well aimed shots with a pistol a shotgun would be better. Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic that someone is in the house with the heart racing and all that, using a shotgun would probably be the best way to connect with youre target. Just my two cents. I know everyone has thier choice and what they are comfortable with. A properly trained home owner with a good set up and light can be comfortable with any weapon. I personally have my 1911 and a good light in my night table. It is not hard for me to reach my safe and pick a better choice. If i had a better way to secure a shotgun in the bedroom maybe.

I think any intruder would crap himself if they heard a 12 gauge round getting racked. It's unmistakable, there is no other similar sound. Perhaps someday, I'll invent an alarm system that plays that sound when a door or window gets breached. Anyway, back to the topic. I agree with most people that a pump shotgun is a great choice, although a 20 gauge would be my preference. Don't forget Benelli, they have a lot of variations. The Nova's and Super Nova's are around $400 new , used ones usually are in the $300 range. Kittery Trading post had quite a few. I was going to post a link but their server must be down from the storm last night. Have good one.

if you plan on "Clearing" your house i tend to agree with you. personally i would much more likely wait and ambush any intruder at my the hallway to the bedroom. in that case i want a shotgun. 3-4 kicking in the door will be very cautious about continuing anything when 1 disappears into a red mist after rounding a corner and getting a face full of 00 buck.

+1

Rich

I think any intruder would crap himself if they heard a 12 gauge round getting racked. It's unmistakable, there is no other similar sound. Perhaps someday, I'll invent an alarm system that plays that sound when a door or window gets breached. Anyway, back to the topic. I agree with most people that a pump shotgun is a great choice, although a 20 gauge would be my preference. Don't forget Benelli, they have a lot of variations. The Nova's and Super Nova's are around $400 new , used ones usually are in the $300 range. Kittery Trading post had quite a few. I was going to post a link but their server must be down from the storm last night. Have good one.

How do those lower-end Benelli shotguns compare to the Mossburg 500 and Remington 870 variations?

Benelli Super Nova is a well built gun and has a bit more fit and finish that the base 500 and 870's. It's sort of like arguing if Ford or GM makes a better pickup. I used a Mossy 500 for years and upgraded to the super nova when there was a group buy a couple of years ago

Benelli Super Nova is a well built gun and has a bit more fit and finish that the base 500 and 870's. It's sort of like arguing if Ford or GM makes a better pickup. I used a Mossy 500 for years and upgraded to the super nova when there was a group buy a couple of years ago

I see the Benelli Nova NFA Tactical has a 14" barrel--so I'm assuming those are not "Massachusetts Compliant" but perhaps I am incorrect. Anyone know?

I see the Benelli Nova NFA Tactical has a 14" barrel--so I'm assuming those are not "Massachusetts Compliant" but perhaps I am incorrect. Anyone know?

Legal in MA with a minimum LTC-B and NFA tax stamp (requiring CLEO sign-off or establishment of a trust).

Last edited:
I think any intruder would crap himself if they heard a 12 gauge round getting racked. It's unmistakable, there is no other similar sound.

double-facepalm.jpg

I think any intruder would crap himself if they heard a 12 gauge round getting racked. It's unmistakable, there is no other similar sound. Perhaps someday, I'll invent an alarm system that plays that sound when a door or window gets breached. /
There's an app for that.

The Mossberg 500 Cruiser/Persuader with the shorter length of pull buttstock (13") and the 18 1/2" barrel can be had for around $330. The only thing I've noticed about it is that you gotta treat the thing rough when handling it, as it will short-stroke easy if you're dainty with it. I suppose wives should be made aware of this if they're going to be handling one. /
We have one in addition to a Remington 870. If you have a Lefty in the family, it's a much easier gun to use than the Remington.

Last edited:
I have a Remington 870 that I put a Mossberg 18" breech barrel on that cost around $100 if I remember correctly. I added a whole bunch of other stuff (including a tube extension, light, and different stock) to it but all you really need is a stock Remington 870 with 00 buck in it.

I think the main reason you want a pump action is for reliability and cost effectiveness.

BTW I bought a 20 ga as my wife didn't like the recoil of the 12 ga Remington (which was her father's - 1981 Police). The plusses and minuses are debated, but it works for us.
713971202_fy9Fz-L.jpg

No over penetration or chance of shot going through walls? YouTube "The Box Test". It opened my eyes.

If something has little chance of even going through sheetrock, what use is it as HD ammo?

Over penetration wouldn't be much of an issue here, as houses are built a bit sturdier than the cardboard boxes in the U.S..
Support walls are 10" and thin dividing walls are still 4 1/2", stone masonry that is. I'd rather be scared by jacketed pistol bullets
ricochet off those walls.

What's scarier than staring into a 12ga barrel? Two of 'em!

The side by side would be great for home defense.
The SxS and "coach gun" shotguns have good and bad points. While maneuverable and lightweight, the low weight means more painful recoil, so less likely to practice with it than with a heavier gun. That said, the mechanism is simple, with no possibility of a short stroke or misfeed, but only two shots before reloading.

And you can go really compact if you're into either blackpowder or tax stamps:
s7_217858_999_02

In stock (20ga blackpowder) at Cabela's. I prefer the modern Stoeger guns with the external decocker hammers.

Last edited:
Maverick (mossberg) 88 is on sale at Dick's through November 10 for $179
it says vent 18.5" HD barrel or vent rib (I'm guessing 26/28")

I don't think you can beat that price

If the wife is small then I would recommend a 20ga. They are potent enough for defense, hunting or whatever else you would like. You can get home defense loads or use bird or buckshot.
I know a lot of guys who are buying 20ga. For deer hunting as they are just as effective for deer, are lighter weighing and have less recoil.

I would start her out with a 12ga. Even small women can handle it, with training. I've seen women that are 100-110lbs soaking wet rock a 12ga with no problem. The biggest issue is that no one cares to train them. If they want something with less felt recoil, have them try a semi.

I can see where a shotgun is effective if the plan is to sit in the bedroom and wait to be attacked while hiding behind the bed.

This is my current home defense plan. This way I can rest the barrel on the bed and keep one hand free to wipe away the tears or change my underwear. Seriously though, I have no business clearing rooms. I'm comfortable with my stock Remington 870 (18.5" barrel).

Full disclosure: I live alone but if you might have to get to your kids/spouse, the free hand is probably a big factor. And once my AR is built, I'll be reassessing my strategy.

I would start her out with a 12ga. Even small women can handle it, with training. I've seen women that are 100-110lbs soaking wet rock a 12ga with no problem. The biggest issue is that no one cares to train them. If they want something with less felt recoil, have them try a semi.

I've seen 200lb muscular guys who shoot all the time have trouble handling 12ga.

+1! I don't weigh much more than that myself... about 115lb... I can shoot a 12ga like a boss. Or even consider a 20ga if you must? Either way, proper shouldering is key.

Not necessarily. They shoot exceptionally well but get beat up by the gun. That's gun fit, not training or form.

If the gun doesn't fit, then you can't really have proper form, right?

I'm starting the hunt for a home defense 12ga (preferably) as well. I'm betting I need something with a relatively short overall length/barrel.

If the gun doesn't fit, then you can't really have proper form, right?

I'm starting the hunt for a home defense 12ga (preferably) as well. I'm betting I need something with a relatively short overall length/barrel.

Mossberg 500 or maybe the Remington 870. Everyone needs at least one shotgun Cindy! I'd get a shoulder stock too, pistol grips are just dangerous IMHO. It's only good for pray and spray [laugh]

Sent from my POS iPhone

I'm honestly thinking about a youth/mini-person shotgun, just because it may fit me better. Will need to fondle/shoot some to figure what fits me best.

Back
Top Bottom