• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best value Home Defense 12 ga shotgun?

Hey folks,

What's your favorite shotgun for home defense?

I'm taking my neighbor to the gun shop to help him decide on a shotgun to buy to keep around the house. I'm not a shotgun guy, but I want to give good advice. Can y'all help?

I figure a 12 gauge pump would be best for him and his wife. Short learning curve and doesn't require a high level of skill. They've both shot firearms growing up, but I don't think they've had any as adults.

His wife's pretty small, so I figure it ought to be something she could handle, too.

Only thing I can think of is that Mossberg 12 ga that's fairly common and low-cost? Beyond that, the 1897 winchester, and my model 37 Ithaca 16 ga, that's all I know of scatterguns.

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited:
I've got a Maverick 88 that I picked up new for $200. They're owned by Mossberg (the Mossberg name is on the receiver). Its basically a Mossberg 500 with the safety on the trigger guard. Works fine for me and I'm happy with it. Used guns are a good option, but with this it was set up how i wanted it, and it was in stock. Sold.

The Mossberg 500 Cruiser/Persuader with the shorter length of pull buttstock (13") and the 18 1/2" barrel can be had for around $330. The only thing I've noticed about it is that you gotta treat the thing rough when handling it, as it will short-stroke easy if you're dainty with it. I suppose wives should be made aware of this if they're going to be handling one.

I really love mine. Super maneuverable in a hallway, nice and light, and it's a Mossberg 500 so it's quality. Since Mossberg makes a ton of variations on the 500, you may not be able to find one off the shelf at a shop, but you can likely order one with those specifications easily.

I agree that a pump gun is your best bang for the buck. Others will have their own opinions, of course. I own a Mossy 500 (multiple barrels) and a 590. Both are great. The Remington 870 is also a fine piece that many swear by.

Before buying, your neighbor should determine if a 12ga is a good fit for his wife. 20ga might work better for her.

I also recommend a short barreled pump - I am a big advocate of buying used and saving money, but if you buy new, a Mossberg will probably be fine. I personally like the Remington because the magazine can be changed out easily and I do that when switching between defense and hunting configurations, but if it's going to be strictly defense, I'd probably save a little cash and get the Mossberg.

If the wife is small then I would recommend a 20ga. They are potent enough for defense, hunting or whatever else you would like. You can get home defense loads or use bird or buckshot.
I know a lot of guys who are buying 20ga. For deer hunting as they are just as effective for deer, are lighter weighing and have less recoil.

thanks folks for the responses. This is a good start.

Bostoned I was kind of thinking that as well w.r.t. 20 gauge for her. I'll suggest that as well.

I would say a Mossberg 500 12 ga or a Smith and Wesson Governor. It shoots 410s, 45acp and 45 colt. Its also a pistol. Because of the short barrel it makes it a lot more maneuverable than any shotgun and it packs a good punch (enough to take someone down) with the shot shell or the slugs. You can also use it as a range gun because it shoots 45 acp and colt. You wife would be able to shoot it as well.

I'm also in the market for a home defense shotgun and was wondering how people feel about stock vs. pistol grip.

A lot of articles I've read say you absolutely must have a full stock on the firearm and that the pistol grip versions look cool but are useless.

I'm wondering what people's thought are on this. Do you notice a large accuracy difference between the two configurations? Or does it even matter as if you are using it for home defense it presumes close range and is more maneuverable without the stock? And what about a collapsible stock or a full stock with a pistol grip? There are so many options it can be a bit dizzying.

i Had a mossberg 500 persuader that i sold a while ago. I now have a Rem. 870 express magnum in the 18 in barrel that i love. Both are great i guess its all personal preference. As for the stock obviously you have more control with a full stock of a pistol grip. I have both i guess it depends on my mood. Sometime i think just a pistol grip looks bad ass haha. i would just go with maybe a youth stock and if you need to use it in the house god forbid you can always short stock it.

The Mossberg 500 has a very accessible action release lever and safety. For a lefty, this is a very nice feature, as the Remington 870 is easier for a righty to handle. The Mossberg works excellent for either right or left handed use.

Ok we're back from State Line. Thanks for the inputs..he likes the idea of a 20 gauge so his wife can use it, and likes the price of the Mossbergs. It was flipping busy there and they're understaffed from the bumpfire shoot so he wasn't able to talk to one of clerks to talk options, but that's ok. That's probably what he'll get.

I walked out with an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 :D

Have you tried talking them out of a shotgun for home defense? Once my eyes were opened WRT using them for HD, there is no way in hell I could go back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

No of course not. Why would I talk them out of a perfectly sensible choice?

Last edited:
You can short stock it, but still need to bring it up to your shoulder to fire if you want to have some control. You still have to aim it if you are shooting indoors, as the pattern is so friggin' tight.

The magic word is "practice". It doesn't help to have any gun ready for HD and lacking on proper training.
Shooting plates @ 15 meters I have the first shot out in just under a second (gun loaded, safety on, held at the hip until
the timer beeps). The fifth shot is gone at ~ 3.1 seconds. This, using a Rem 870 Marine Magnum with 7+1 capacity,
18" barrel.
In a HD scenario, the distance is usually much shorter with the "target" being much bigger and very hard to miss.
That's a lot of lead flying towards the targets and surely will show some effect on one or more intruders.
Even eight 1 oz shells of no. 7 1/2 will make a lasting impression and keep the collateral damage under control.
If deemed too small, one can always load some no. 4 buck or bigger after the first 2 trap shells.

I'd clearly prefer a shotgun.

Last edited:
A lot of articles I've read say you absolutely must have a full stock on the firearm and that the pistol grip versions look cool but are useless.

That's the poop on the street. I don't have any experience shooting shotgun with a pistol grip, but there are enough youtube videos out there that indicate it's not fun or accurate, though it can be done.

My take is this: Why bother with a pistol grip when you can get a shorty stock? The 13 inch length of pull sounds short, and it is, but it's still easy to shoulder and maneuver in tight spaces inside a home.

How about this: Mossberg 510 mini bantam 20 gauge? It's only 36 inches overall!

I held the .410 version when they had it at Bass Pro. It's got to be the tiniest shotgun ever made. That would be a wonderful option for home defense, especially for a woman (though they may kick a bit). A little practice and they would likely feel quite at home with one.

Here is Chris Gosselin from Mossberg showing on off:

Day1_04.jpg

Make_MA_2A, you're not talking to a newbie here. My own HD equipment is similar to yours because I'm sure yours and my skill levels are more on par vs where my friends are on the learning curve.

But what works for me or you entirely wouldn't fit their needs or skill level, and there's no way in heck that I'll recommend a handgun as their first firearm when it would require months and years of practice to become an effective tool vs. a much shorter learning curve with a scattergun.

Finally, we don't live in an urban area, and a shotgun or rifle is going to be 10x more useful where we live than a pistol would be.

But anyways...

Have you tried talking them out of a shotgun for home defense? Once my eyes were opened WRT using them for HD, there is no way in hell I could go back.

Hey Make_MA - what is this WRT you are referring to? I have pistols for hd right now but have been considering a shotgun. From everything that I have heard/read a 12 gauge is the best hd firearm for a civy. Relatively inexpensive, low maintenance, good knock down power, no over penetration and little chance of a stray round passing through walls and seriously injuring a bystander. How do you beat that?

I use the Mossberg 500 tactical, 18.5, in 12 gage. I am dominate right handed, so I actually shoot a rifle Lefty, cross draw as the say, so the MB 500 works well in my application.

I also wouldn't recommend a shotgun as a primary HD tool, I use my AR. That said, I'd recommend a 12 gauge with a collapsible stock and pistol grip. The KNOXX stock includes a recoil buffer which works surprisingly well, and with a smaller person the shorter length of pull of a collapsible stock as well as a pistol grip will make for easier handling. No need to go to 20 gauge vs 12 IMO. Plenty of small people have enjoyed shooting slugs out of my 870. One of my fiances sub 100lb friends I believe bought one because she enjoyed it so much.

Mike

Hey folks,

What's your favorite shotgun for home defense?

I'm taking my neighbor to the gun shop to help him decide on a shotgun to buy to keep around the house. I'm not a shotgun guy, but I want to give good advice. Can y'all help?

I figure a 12 gauge pump would be best for him and his wife. Short learning curve and doesn't require a high level of skill. They've both shot firearms growing up, but I don't think they've had any as adults.

His wife's pretty small, so I figure it ought to be something she could handle, too.

Only thing I can think of is that Mossberg 12 ga that's fairly common and low-cost? Beyond that, the 1897 winchester, and my model 37 Ithaca 16 ga, that's all I know of scatterguns.

Thanks!
Jason

Anything that goes chit-chit will do.

Even a pump that has an extended tube is low cap compared to a 9mm handgun. @18" with a standard stock, it's a bitch for using in a house in the dark. You can short stock it, but still need to bring it up to your shoulder to fire if you want to have some control. You still have to aim it if you are shooting indoors, as the pattern is so friggin' tight. Low brass shells will still punch through sheet rock walls with no problem. Both hands would be occupied operating the gun, and wouldn't have a light source unless one was mounted to it.

Glock 19 with 33 round mag and a TLR3 on the light rail. 33 rounds of JHP, a light source, and still one free hand if you need it to operate the phone, light switches, doorknobs/locks....

A hi-cap handgun with good SD ammo and a light seems more practical. Especially if you get 3-4 kicking in your door.

if you plan on "Clearing" your house i tend to agree with you. personally i would much more likely wait and ambush any intruder at my the hallway to the bedroom. in that case i want a shotgun. 3-4 kicking in the door will be very cautious about continuing anything when 1 disappears into a red mist after rounding a corner and getting a face full of 00 buck.

You can't go wrong with a Mossburg 500 or the largest volume shotgun of all time, the Remington 870. Pistol grips are useless, except as movie props.

I have a flashlight mounted on it and pressure switch on the slide. Put the center of the beam on the target 15 feet away and you are dead on. Low recoil #4 buck would be a good choice, I use 3" #4

Back
Top Bottom